Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Springsteen audition help requested

nickd

I've just found out I've got an audition for a Springsteen cover band this week - for the piano chair.

Very excited! But I've got minimal time to learn anything before the audition. The bandleader has suggested we go through Jungleland and Thunder Road - I don't suppose anyone could point me towards a piano transcription I can download/buy?

I've Googled and found a few paid-for transcriptions but it's hard to know if they'll be any good. They're not expensive so if no-one's got any advice I'll just take a chance and buy one.

And the first gig isn't until May so I'll be fine to learn the set in time... assuming I can get through the audition of course!

Thanks in advance

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If time is limited, try to check out the basics of each tune first.

Make sure you learn the form etc first - don't go for the nitty-gritty details until later. Try to "play in the style of" rather than do the note for note thing.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

When time is very limited I sketch out the basics on paper - staff, blank, 3x5 card, whatever works. Getting the chord changes, structure, and core rhythm inflections are important; and if I have time I'll play along with the track a few times. Then I listen, ad naseum - in the car - until the audition, or gig. That also helps with getting inside the song, and feeling the 'style' of it (as Darren suggested), which goes a lot further than just getting the notes....

Having charts/manuscript provided is ideal, but has almost never been my experience with bands. Most of the time you have to figure it out on your own (which is great for overall musicianship, but a PITA on short notice....). Having a transcription of 'signature' lines is helpful though, I wouldn't discourage acquiring that as a resource. But I'd write a chart first, then either keep the transcription handy, or write it into your chart - if using staff paper.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Did the same thing a few years back for a Springsteen tribute show (nothing came of it). I got a Springsteen melody/chord book and that and a listen to the tracks was enough - there's nothing that hard in the music.

You said "piano chair" - is there another keyboard player already there covering organ and/or the glockenspiel (and synth) parts.

They're good simple strum along songs but they need two keyboard players covering organ and piano (and glock and sometimes synth) to sound right.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Ok Pm. I know these songs pretty well. Problem is Roy never plays the songs the same way twice unless it is real specific. I hope you are not the only keyboard player because it will end up sounding really empty and you basically have 3 keyboard parts to play, depending on what songs you will be playing. Let me know.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Goes without saying to learn the solos and exposed parts first. They'll never hear what you are playing on the rest of the tunes anyway.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Is this a band that ONLY does Springsteen songs? And they've told you two songs to learn? I think you need to be ready to play those two dead nuts like the studio recording if this is a high-profile money gig. Plus you need to be familiar enough with the overall style to hang with other audibles if need be.

Thanks guys, that's all good advice.

Yes, it's just a Springsteen tribute. Yes fairly high profile (by my standards anyway) and needs to be dead on the recordings, so I'm going to have some work!

Yes, there's a second keyboard player, so I simply need to inhabit the soul of Roy Brittan. Looking forward to just sitting and playing piano with no splits and button pushing.

Outkaster, thanks I'll send a PM.

Just wanted to check in and say thanks to all who helped, particularly Outkaster. And, becoming53, that book you recommended was a great help.

And... I got the gig! Met the singer last night and played through some tunes, and I'm in.

Thanks again. This forum is great!

Congratulations! I'm glad that book helped. Piano in a Springsteen tribute would probably be my dream gig, in another world where I had anything like the pianistic chops to pull it off.

As long as we're dream gigging, I'll take the gig in the actual E Street Band :)

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Good glad I could arm you with all the information. I have been collecting it for years. Interestingly some of the stuff about they keyboards was not in keyboard magazine.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived