Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

-2/+2 pitch bend - Nord Stage 2

octa

I come here everyday hoping there is some news about a NS2 system update that expands the -2/+2 pitch bend range.

It will be awhile probably, as the last update wasn't so long ago & I'm not sure if they are even able to change that with an update, seems like it should be possible.

If anyone has any news. . .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you could probably do what you want by adding one of these pedals...

[video:youtube]

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

people keep asking and hoping...shouldnt it be a software issue rather than a hardwware one?

all we can do is hope...:)

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Well, there are a number of things I'd like Nord to address too. The point is, unlike some of the others, if someone really needs this ability, instead of just hoping, they can actually probably solve their problem themselves (albeit for $50).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've addressed Nord more than once on this subject. The lack of this feature on a keyboard of that price is just ridiculous. Said pedal won't cut it for my use, and it's the one single feature that keeps me from buying one. I figure they'd like people to buy the Stage AND a dedicated synth but at that price, I want to be able to have just that one keyboard do it. It is supposed to be do-it-all afterall.
When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Due to the way I utilize the wide pitch bend range, currently on my NL2x, hopefully soon NS2. Wide expressive vibratos, "uneven" bends (quickly bending down, then slowly back up), plus I sometimes have another synth sound going while doing so. It's just not even remotely similar and satisfying, as you will know, should you have used the pitch stick for similar purposes.

And again, it shouldn't ve necessary in the first place.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

It seems like a very un-elegant, or even ridiculous solution to use a whammy pedal, doesn't it..? Plus, you can't play in stereo through that pedal - and there is probably no way that pedal it's as sensitive as the Nord pitch stick - if it even allows you to bend anywhere between a few notes and a whole octave.

I'm thinking - Nord want this function to be exclusive to the Nord Wave, so you still feel a need to get one of those too... The same goes for some of the shortcomings in the organ section (like only one Leslie model, no bass pedal part and no option to mute 1' drawbar when percussion is engaged - things that's available in the Nord C2).

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

No, I agree with you there - but the Stage 2 is such a nice board and this seems like an easy fix that Clavia is refusing to give us, for some reasons.

Of course there's a lot of other things one could wish for - like a better Leslie sim, so a Ventilator isn't needed (yes I think the internal sim is that bad), but that would be a much more complicated update - and there might just not be enough DSP resources in the Stage to pull it off, so I am not hoping to see that implemented.

Then of course - we have the ever so irritating fixed split points... :deadhorse:

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Well, all bashing aside - the Stage 2 sw73 is the best board I've owned and I don't see any other board on the market today I could replace it with - it's quite unique, in sound, functionality and interface.

Then of course - we have the ever so irritating fixed split points...

Yes, that's one of the things I would most want addressed in a software update. The lit split points are nice, but there should be a way to override them.

There should also be a way to split in the "other" direction... a way to velocity split so that Slot A triggers below a certain velocity and Slot B triggers above. (This would also allow you to implement 2-layer custom samples.)

The other thing I wish it had was a way to "lock" one of the slots, so you could, for example, change from preset 1 to preset 2, but only the Slot A sound would change, while the Slot B sound would remain locked to what it had been for Preset 1. This would accomplish a couple of things. One, it would make it much easier to create new presets that combine different existing Slot A and Slot B sounds, something that is very awkward to do now. Second, if you're driving Slot B from an external keyboard (say, a weighted 88 driving the piano sounds on a 73-key NS2), you would be able to change the sound of your "top board" without changing your bottom board, without the complication of having to program in every combination of bottom and top sounds you might want, since you'd have some ability to essentially operate the two boards independently.

I hate the entire little wooden bender thing. Now that Nord has given in on the drawbars, maybe they will put a regular pitch wheel on their keyboards some day?

I mean really, what possible benefit is there to having that stupid clothespin? It hurts my finger and I can't be as expressive.

And then we're hobbled with the -2/+2 tiny range. This eliminates the "MIDI it to another keyboard with a useful bender" option, because you're still stuck at -2/+2.

Using a guitar stomp whammy pedal is hardly a solution, especially for a $3600 instrument.

wooden bender
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Futurama_ep68.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I hate the entire little wooden bender thing. Now that Nord has given in on the drawbars, maybe they will put a regular pitch wheel on their keyboards some day?

I mean really, what possible benefit is there to having that stupid clothespin?

I totally disagree. I find the bender to be remarkably expressive and sensitive - way better than a pitch wheel. You can do very natural manual vibrato with your finger. The range does need to be settable though as I said earlier.

Moe

---

Yeah, I think the pitch stick is pretty cool, too... though I'd prefer it were placed closer to the left edge so you'd have the option of wrapping your hand around the side of the board and manipulating it with your thumb.

The stick is uniquely Nord, and I've seen lots of raves about it , so I'm sure it's not going anywhere. It might be nice if they added a regular pitch wheel as well, though, since that's such a staple. At least they didn't use a joystick, the worst of all!

I mean really, what possible benefit is there to having that stupid clothespin?

I totally disagree. I find the bender to be remarkably expressive and sensitive - way better than a pitch wheel. You can do very natural manual vibrato with your finger. The range does need to be settable though as I said earlier.

+1000! Have you really played a Nord, Keyman? Or do you just think it looks stupid? I'll have a Nord pitch stick and stone mod wheel any day over a Yamaha set of wheels.

Yeah, I think the pitch stick is pretty cool, too... though I'd prefer it were placed closer to the left edge so you'd have the option of wrapping your hand around the side of the board and manipulating it with your thumb.

The stick is uniquely Nord, and I've seen lots of raves about it , so I'm sure it's not going anywhere. It might be nice if they added a regular pitch wheel as well, though, since that's such a staple. At least they didn't use a joystick, the worst of all!

Then again... not only do I think the Nord pitch stick is great, I also prefer a Korg joystick over a set of wheels! :)

I think my biggest problem with a pitch wheel is that it goes up/down - moving a controller sideways feels more natural to me.

not only do I think the Nord pitch stick is great, I also prefer a Korg joystick over a set of wheels! :)

I know there's a lot of personal preference to it, but my biggest complaint about a joystick is that you have to operate it with more finesse to be sure you don't accidentally bend the pitch when you just want modulation. Also, for some mod wheel purposes, I like to move it to a certain place and not have it bounce back. I know, Korg lets you hit a button to "lock" the effect even after you release the stick, but that feels unnecessarily cumbersome to me. (For a modulation that "bounces back", I'd prefer aftertouch.)

Yes, I have a Nord with the stick. I prefer the wheel on my Motif. I'm used to it, and it doesn't twist my finger sideways. The resistance is too much on the stick -- too hard to hold it in the up or down position for very long.

Yes, I have a Nord with the stick. I prefer the wheel on my Motif. I'm used to it, and it doesn't twist my finger sideways. The resistance is too much on the stick -- too hard to hold it in the up or down position for very long.

Try using the transpose feature and free up a hand :)

Archived