Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Wilco on ACL

gryphon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly OT: I do not like the vibe of the new theater they're using as compared to the intimate space of the old one. The old one felt like they were outdoors, with a view of the Capitol. Now, it just looks like they're in front of a picture. The audience appears to just be on a huge floor, as opposed to "right there" like they used to be.

Also, the few times I've tuned in lately seem to be national acts, no discoveries to be made anymore. That said, the web site lists a few I've not heard of so I might just be tuning in to the wrong shows.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wilco on Austin City Limits. They kicked ass. They always seem to be better live than on their albums.

I DVR'ed this last night and just watched this morning. Very good as usual. Nice to see Nick Lowe.

I thought their last appearance from 2007 was one of the best ACL's ever. Related to your "better live" comment, I was so-so on "Sky Bue Sky" until I saw that show; after that I listened to it constantly for weeks and it became one of my favorite all-time records. Amazing how a single performance can sometimes change your mind about a piece of music.

I've seen them three times and they are always entertaining; I also used to see Tweedy play with Uncle Tupelo in a local dive. One of my fondest memories is seeing college kids slam-dancing to their peculiar brand of alt-country. Then a few of the kids managed to hook their feet around the rafters and were swinging upside down. It was a wacky scene....

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Wilco is a great live band, and Tweedy is terrific front man. They have made some pretty amazing albums as well (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Summerteeth, A Ghost is Born are all great). They're a fun rock 'n roll band AND a also capable of amazing depth and subtlety. They're pretty much a one-stop-shop.

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

Whether you like them or not (and I like them a LOT (aside from really good, interesting songs, they've got two of the most inventive players on their respective instruments in Nels Cline and Glen Kotche)), I think most people would agree that the position they're in is the position most bands dream to be in, in that they can do whatever they want. They can do a couple minutes of noise, something countryish, some krautrock-inspired droning, and play "Cruel to be kind" WITH Nick Lowe, all in front of decent-sized crowds.

Whether you like them or not (and I like them a LOT (aside from really good, interesting songs, they've got two of the most inventive players on their respective instruments in Nels Cline and Glen Kotche)), I think most people would agree that the position they're in is the position most bands dream to be in, in that they can do whatever they want. They can do a couple minutes of noise, something countryish, some krautrock-inspired droning, and play "Cruel to be kind" WITH Nick Lowe, all in front of decent-sized crowds.

Agree completely. In some ways, I've always thought of them as the modern version of the Band...born from American roots music but aren't afraid to branch out. I don't like all of their forays...I liked the experimental aspects of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot but some of the recent krautrock stuff leaves me cold. But I much prefer a band that takes chances and occasionally fails to the ones that play it safe.

And yeah...Nels is a monster.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Nels Cline and Glen Kotche

Yes.

A few years ago, Cline and Kotche toured together, each doing a solo set, then doing a duo improv set. I've seen Nels several dozen times over the years, going back to the late-80's his bands would come around to the NW pretty regularly. My jazz instructor in college toured with him in Vinny Golia's band, and my old band even opened for his trio several times. So Nels' solo set was brilliant, as would be expected. What I didn't expect was to be totally blown away by Kotche's solo set! I have never seen an hour long solo drum kit performance, augmented with Gamelan gongs and electronic processing, that was so musical and engrossing.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've had the pleasure of playing improvisational gigs with Nels three times, and seen him perform quite a few times as well. He's an amazing guitarist, and in my opinion, far more astonishing live than on recording. Part of what makes Nels great is that he is a very good listener. You can really see him intently listening to what everyone is doing when he is improvising with an ensemble. He also is super nice and not full of himself.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/miscellaneous/thesmell/images/0nelssitting2.jpg

Archived