Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP-5

Dave Bryce

I would like to have a CP-5 but I sure wouldn't want to try to drag it around. Plus, it's actually somewhat fragile from what I have seen.

I don't understand this. I would classify it more like a tank.

Busch

Yeah to me there are no questions about the build quality. I know Aidan had a problem with one of the black knobs coming off but my particular unit has been like the Rock of Gibraltar. I'm pretty careful with my stuff too...

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Yamaha equipment from back in the seventies that still works fine. Build quality has never been an issue with Yamaha.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I did lose one of the main parameter knobs but I put its loss down to manhandling and a rather awkward design rather than build quality. It rolled away at the venue and I just couldn't find it, although I looked hard, but finally had to give up, pack up and go, especially as the speeches were starting and I was done.

Beside the weight, the two main reasons I let mine go were as follows:

a) The CF sample in particular began to sound _too_ perfect with regular use - it didn't sound like any acoustic I'd ever played. While I miss the keyboard feel and dynamic range connection of the CP5, to me, the NP sounds far more visceral and like the real thing.

b) The CP5 sounds crap summed to mono.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

by Aidan:

The CP5 sounds crap summed to mono.

You might have a hard time convincing Kevin (Kanker) of that. :/

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

by Aidan:

The CP5 sounds crap summed to mono.

You might have a hard time convincing Kevin (Kanker) of that. :/

Cheers!

Mike T.

Really? I actually put some mono test recordings up when I had my CP5, mostly because Kevin was interested in hearing them. I don't recall him being impressed!

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Yeah Aidan, I was trying to make a joke. I guess I failed! Kevin has no use for Stereo. I wonder if he has a mono home audio system too! ;)

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yeah Aidan, I was trying to make a joke. I guess I failed! Kevin has no use for Stereo. I wonder if he has a mono home audio system too! ;)

Cheers!

Mike T.

Actually, believe it or not, I have no home audio system. :snax:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• 2 months later...

Hey I'm playin' here, would you shut up already ! :laugh:

Pretty sad when one of the only vids of the CP5 with good sound being played live on a real gig by a legit player on YT is relegated to background muzak. Speaks volumes on the state of live music.. :( A polite piano solo at 4:05. ;)

On the other hand, hey it's a gig. Been there in that guy's shoes myself. And I'd do it again if the dough was decent.

Oh wait, I won, BINGO ! :D

[video:youtube]

2005 NY Steinway D

Hahahaha, I kind of expected it to happen :D

I've just recorded a CD with my CP5, worked like a charm. The S6 is really nice when recorded, live I still prefer the CFIIIs. As it had been mentioned, it just always sounds good, so it's one thing less to worry about.

Anyway, as somebody asked for it, I can highly recommend the Soundwear Stagebags. They have a version with wheels and three handles that fits the CP5 exactly. No problem to move that package alone.

This is just so bizarre. I'm getting my first exposure to Bingomusic at 4am after a night at the club, and can't stop watching clips of the stuff. This one includes a chef (!) and an actual "bingo" where the band stops in it's tracks and celebrates like they just nailed a tough song in the set.

Anyway goodnight all, or good morning depending on where you live.

I'd much rather play that bingo background muzak than with a lot of popular rock bands. Not sure what that says about me.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

This is just so bizarre. I'm getting my first exposure to Bingomusic at 4am after a night at the club, and can't stop watching clips of the stuff. This one includes a chef (!) and an actual "bingo" where the band stops in it's tracks and celebrates like they just nailed a tough song in the set.

That's special entertainment for sure. I can't decide whether to eat, gamble, listen or go to sleep.

I'd much rather play that bingo background muzak than with a lot of popular rock bands. Not sure what that says about me.

Same here.

Yeah that second bingo vid reminded me a bit of a scene out of a modern "Fellini" type movie. :crazy:

2005 NY Steinway D

What's cool, surprising, and amazing is that they regularly show the band. They even show the keyboard player's hands! :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah that second bingo vid reminded me a bit of a scene out of a modern "Fellini" type movie. :crazy:

Yeah it's just so surreal - and strangely compelling until you start to realize how ridiculous it is.

• 5 months later...

*thread resurrected, question on topic*

Am I crazy, or are here any other CP1/CP5 owners, who are experiencing this:

I don't understand it - I don't get any problems from playing or rehearsing with a grand piano or an upright, but just an evening with this seems to give me wrist and finger pain. I bought my CP5 early this year, and this is the second time this has happened (before an important gig/recording session, no less).

Call me crazy, but I think it might be because the keyboard response is so "soft" (I initially thought it was too soft, but have since become accustomed to it), and your hand kind of hits the keybed "floor" pretty hard. Especially if you play something that requires a lot of shifts in dynamics such as jazz solo lines and comping.

My posture should be fine, and I don't think it is lack of practice either, since, like I said, I don't get any such problems from playing an actual grand piano for hours.

I'm half-seriously thinking of selling it (something I'd rather not do, I love the way it sounds and it's a great, versatile stage piano), and getting something else. :/

I never had any issues with hand, fingers or the wrists in the almost 2 years I owned the CP5.

I can't say I played it a ton at home having the Steinway but a fair amount; much more then the Nord I own now which basically never leaves its case except at the gig.

I will say the Roland RD700GX gave me problems though when I owned that a few years back. I got rid of it within a month.

The action on the CP5 is light but feels *right* to me. Maybe I was lucky where I didn't have to put any long hours or sets on the gig with it.

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out. Playing with pain is nothing to mess around with.

2005 NY Steinway D

I have CP5 as well, almost a full year now. No problems whatsoever.

Speaking of long hours, I had a marathon gig last week, we played 4h straight. I don't recall ever playing a longer concert. Again, felt no problem with wrist or hand pain.

I love my CP5. :)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I don't understand it - I don't get any problems from playing or rehearsing with a grand piano or an upright, but just an evening with this seems to give me wrist and finger pain. I bought my CP5 early this year, and this is the second time this has happened (before an important gig/recording session, no less).

Call me crazy, but I think it might be because the keyboard response is so "soft" (I initially thought it was too soft, but have since become accustomed to it), and your hand kind of hits the keybed "floor" pretty hard. Especially if you play something that requires a lot of shifts in dynamics such as jazz solo lines and comping.

My posture should be fine, and I don't think it is lack of practice either, since, like I said, I don't get any such problems from playing an actual grand piano for hours.

I'm half-seriously thinking of selling it (something I'd rather not do, I love the way it sounds and it's a great, versatile stage piano), and getting something else. :/

I'd suggest videotaping yourself playing your CP5, and perhaps yourself playing an acoustic for comparison. You may see yourself doing something that you haven't realized.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'd suggest videotaping yourself playing your CP5, and perhaps yourself playing an acoustic for comparison. You may see yourself doing something that you haven't realized.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think I'm playing the CP in some weird angle (my wrists, that is) and that's causing the problems.

There's a huge difference in approach when playing a digital piano, though. And as said, the action on [the CP] is super light and soft. I'm just surprised it is this way around that's problematic - you'd think that a grand piano, which requires more "effort" to play, would be it.

As a correction - playing the CP5 feels great, I love the feel of the surface. The pain is more after the fact, I don't get any when I'm playing.

Call me crazy, but I think it might be because the keyboard response is so "soft" (I initially thought it was too soft, but have since become accustomed to it), and your hand kind of hits the keybed "floor" pretty hard. Especially if you play something that requires a lot of shifts in dynamics such as jazz solo.

Just a hunch; Try using a brighter piano patch, or brighten up the EQ. You may be subconsciously hitting the keys harder trying to get a brighter tone. If you have to play lighter to avoid such a bright tone, your problem may be solved. Another possibility may be to use a lighter velocity curve on the key response, for the same reason. If you have to play lighter to avoid fortissimo volume, you may encourage yourself to play lighter.

I had the opposite problem on an acoustic grand once. It had a relatively heavy touch and dark tone. I was playing too hard trying to get a bright tone above mf volume, and I ended up with tennis elbow in both arms. I solved the problem by EQing the mic a bit brighter, and turning up the gain.

Hand and arm problems are nothing to ignore. Good luck! :cool:

><>

Steve

You know one thing I've noticed, I rarely, if ever see mentioned, when playing acoustic vs dp besides the obvious is--

The keyboard height on my keyboard stand (Quik-Lok WS550 & K&M 18880) and the seat height (Quck-Lok BX8) are at different positions/height then the piano bench ( Jansen bench) and keyboard of my Steinway..

This could possibly have some effect on your wrists or arms. I know when I jump from one to the other in my studio, I can tell the difference.

2005 NY Steinway D

I don't have any trouble with either actions, but I prefer a real piano. It just feels better; no spongy feel or goofy key travel. I would keep the level of your forearms the same so far as possible. It screws me up to change the height of the board v. the piano bench. I practice on a small 60 year old Baldwin spinet. It is great just to go in and play without having to turn anything on.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

It's probably a combination of things. I have to suit/re-think my playing style for the CP5 (even though I've had it almost a year now), check out my playing distance and posture etc., and possibly consider another alternative if things don't work out.

By the way, I play the Rhodes patches a lot too (even though I know they sound beefier on the CP1 presumably because of the additional pre-amp routing...but the 1975 model is still awesome) - the "brightness of the piano sound" isn't an issue. I can also set another velocity curve, I prefer the "Wide" one for my style even if it isn't that accurate.

It's weird, because before this, I used to have a Studiologic VMK-188+ (one of the best master kb actions, IMO), which is actually closer to a an actual piano (much much heavier to play)...didn't have any problems.

Oh well. :)

• 1 year later...

So someone talk me out of buying one again. ;) I'm looking at a brand new one, in a sealed box, shipped, for $170 more then I sold my (18 month old ) CP5 in May of '12. :facepalm:

Kinda kicking myself for not getting one months ago when Kraft was blowing out the ones they had left for $1700. But ya snooze, ya lose.

I've called around quite a bit and they seem to be getting in short supply. There are a few new ones here and there, but the asking price is still $23-2500 ...what they were going for street/Sweetwater type places, when the CP5 was current. Will definitely not pay that.

I've been watching all of the Ca. CLs for quite some time and they rarely come up. There's one on there now, but he's asking $2100 and it has a very visible, big scratch on the end panel. Even if I could talk him down $4-500, for the house, that scratch would bug me every time I passed by it on its stand.

I probably wouldn't use it on a gig except for maybe the infrequent higher profile/concert/club setting. And even in that scenario, most often there's an acoustic.

It could see use on those solo gigs I was mentioning before where I do the LH bass/vocal thing and have the drum tracks as a little extra oomph to the vibe. But even those type of gigs are more just solo piano or solo piano/vocal.

It would reside primarily in our house, out in the dining room (we don't dine...that's where I have all my stereo gear with hundreds of CDs & LPs that I never listen to, but don't wanna get rid of :laugh: ) that adjoins the living room. It would be a pretty focal point in the house, so I'd probably spring for a nicer looking stand like the K&M Omega or something like that.

So aside from having it in the house, playing it primarily with AKG 240 phones- playing around with the jazz drum patterns, using the mic input feature to practice my vocals a bit - I wonder if the dough would be better spent just going with the CP4. Which is actually something I'd use on gigs that seems more practical.

It's no secret to most here that I did really dig the CP5 when I owned it for the 18 months. And I still thought it was very cool the last time I played it, earlier in the year. In fact there was a brand new Kronos X 88 right to it, and there was no comparison on which one I'd sit down and play for more fun.

Pass and just get the CP4 ? Or get something that might be a link to a bygone era and one of the last quality builds on a DP. At 55lbs. and 8 weeks short of age 61, it's just too impractical most of the time, but would still be doable in a pinch. The MP11 I'm sure is terrific for home, but you could bet it's gonna stay there. ;)

Also we might not see the lighter, responsive NW action again...which I feel would be a shame. I really felt at home on it.

I still in some ways, at least playing solo, prefer the CF Grand to the CFX in the CP4. Not owning the CP4, the new sample I'm guessing will probably grow on me, especially with my higher end speakers and di/pre. Plus experience tells me the CFX will definitely work better for the majority of band contexts.

So a yea or nay on the CP5 ? :) At $1400-1500, I feel it's a no brainer for me. In good condition, I'd snatch one up in a second. However I'm just a tad hesitant on spending just under 2K on it.

2005 NY Steinway D

Archived