Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP: Don Cornelius

tarkus

L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

'Soul Train' creator Don Cornelius dead in apparent suicide

February 1, 2012 | 6:32 am

"Soul Train" creator Don Cornelius was found dead at his Sherman Oaks on home Wednesday morning.

Law enforcement sources said police arrived at Cornelius' home around 4 a.m. He apparently died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case was ongoing.

The sources said there was no sign of foul play, but the Los Angeles Police Department was investigating.

In a 2010 interview with The Times, he said he was excited about a movie project he was developing about "Soul Train."

"We've been in discussions with several people about getting a movie off the ground. It wouldn't be the 'Soul Train' dance show, it would be more of a biographical look at the project," he said. "It's going to be about some of the things that really happened on the show."

According to a Times article, Cornelius Soul Train became the longest-running first-run nationally syndicated show in television history, bringing African American music and style to the world for 35 years.

Cornelius stopped hosting the show in 1993, and Soul Train ceased production in 2006.

:(

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is very sad indeed. I remember watching Soul Train, followed by Flip Wilson(of course, on Friday nights when I was allowed to stay up pretty late). Love, peace and souuulllll, Cornelius! RIP

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Saturdays were incomplete without Soul Train back in the 70s. Definitely a pioneer and icon of black music media. RIP Mr. Cornelius. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Man this news sucks. I've long loved the kind of music that was on Soul Train. I used to watch that as a kid and I thought those musicians were the epitome of cool.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

bill withers "Use Me"

Sorry - the server won't let me embed vids

It's because you're using the shortened URL; the forum needs to see http://www.youtube.com/blahblahblah, not http://youtu.be/blahblahblahblah.

Here are your videos.

[video:youtube]-AvuXL87D88

[video:youtube]FW9x7OkwpxA

[video:youtube]dJWOWvLp5zo

[video:youtube]ubIt94oLaBI

[video:youtube]6K0442pbMO4

I now appreciate the show immensely, and regard this as a great loss. But I have to admit, I'm in the age group that absolutely hated the show as a kid, because it came on right after Saturday morning cartoons, and it faked you out with the animated train intro that made it seem like it was gonna be another cartoon!

PS - Delaware Dave, all those O's together are messing up the formatting on at least some people's screens (like, for example, mine). If you would be so kind as to edit your post and shorten your SOOOOUUL, so to speak, I and probably others would appreciate it. ;)

Archived