Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord C20

dazzjazz

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow - I just saw the list price for the C2D on Sweetwater $4195.

That's pretty expensive don't you think? I guess all those physical controls...

I do realise it's going to sell at less than that.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Yeah, the MAP is $3485, so you can probably get it for a little less than that if you call, I'm guessing around $3150. But still, that's $400-500 more than the Mojo, the C2, and the SK2.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm sure the build quality of the Nord is rock-solid. My C1 is almost 5 years old and has never skipped a beat. The MOJO and Sk2 - any thought regarding build?

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

The reports we're seeing of the Mojo seem to be good so far. The SK2 isn't bad either, though there was that one issue of noise that some encountered.

Though for the Nord, this is their first attempt at physical drawthings, so that's a bit of an unknown. (Not that I don't tend to trust them. I do. I'm just saying there is that chance.)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, the MAP is $3485, so you can probably get it for a little less than that if you call, I'm guessing around $3150. But still, that's $400-500 more than the Mojo, the C2, and the SK2.

But it's less than a Hamichord, or an XK-3c with lower manual, or a KeyB Duo.

I think it's worth noting that the C2D is the cheapest model with 4 sets of drawbars.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

But are four sets of drawbars really worth the extra money? I know this sounds strange coming from me, but I never had any issues with only two sets. One set is absurd, IMHO... which is why I am not a fan of the SK1/2. Right now, the Mojo seems to be my clone of choice, mainly due to it's excellent sound.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I might agree with you there, Dave. However, 4 sets is new to me and I'm really liking it. I will admit some of it is the novelty and experimentation with something new, though. My experience with playing "organ" on gigs so far has been just one manual and one set of drawthings, I don't know if I'll ever truly need four. But it might be fun.

But are four sets of drawbars really worth the extra money? I know this sounds strange coming from me, but I never had any issues with only two sets. One set is absurd, IMHO... which is why I am not a fan of the SK1/2.

This is a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks." For some people, even one set is enough. Even on a two-manual board, some players may be fine just picking from a handful of presets for the bottom board and only do drawbar manipulation on the top. (I remember in my two manual days, I think there were only three or four different sounds I ever used on the lower manual.) But I'm sure there are some people who would want 4 sets, and the C2D is the cheapest route to that. It's also the lightest and smallest, since I think it is the only 4-drawbar-set design that doesn't include the set of reverse preset keys on the left. I have no idea how big this sub-niche of clonewheelers who want four sets of drawbars is, but whatever it is, Nord is addressing it. i imagine they will sell some units for having that feature (perhaps even if they're not sure they need it), while as always, some will pick Nord because they prefer its sound, and I suppose some will pick Nord because they haven't heard of the Mojo. ;-)

On the Mojo, are the two sets of drawbars necessarily locked into one-set-per-manual? Or could you set them up so they can be two sets for the top manual while you play a preset for the bottom?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Nord says this board is now shipping, as well as the Nord Drum. Sweetwater's site says they expect it "in April."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150644302814531&set=a.10150093856194531.276414.180852929530&type=1

555657_10150644302814531_180852929530_9450529_1838464407_n.jpg

Archived