Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Minitaur

Dave Bryce

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All knobs are controlled by midi CCs. Hence, you can completely control it from an external sequencer or something else that can send CCs.

This might be the first Moog ever to tempt me into buying one. If it can do phenomenal bass like the Taurus, I will be GASsy.

Moe

---

All knobs are controlled by midi CCs. Hence, you can completely control it from an external sequencer or something else that can send CCs.

Yep, and then the presets of a MIDI controller count for live usage.

OTOH, most sounds will be dialed in as easy as on a Minimoog.

Complete specs and demo vids are up on the MOOG site,- it sounds very good IMO.

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/taurus/minitaur#info-tab

If it can do phenomenal bass like the Taurus, I will be GASsy.

It´s eventually one of these pieces of gear you can buy without much investigations and discussion,- and it´s so small and lightweight !

A.C.

It´s eventually one of these pieces of gear you can buy without much investigations and discussion,- and it´s so small and lightweight !

If it shakes the room like a Taurus, I'm getting one!

:thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Definitely deserves its own thread. This blog reported that the Taurus 3 was unable to play notes higher than an octave above middle C, with the EP-2 expression pedal driving the pitch to maximum. I wonder if the Minitaur has a similar limitation.

http://cl516.blogspot.com/2010/05/moog-taurus-3-bass-pedals.html

If you look at the specs and the pics,- that could be correct unless there will be octave switching for both OSCs over MIDI.

Depends on how it behaves to masterkeyboard OCT up/down buttons.

Fine Tune for BOTH OSCs is +/- 1 semitone only which translates it to be the master tune control and OSC2 offset is +/- 1 oct which hopefully is continuous.

No comment on the overall range of the OSCs.

A.C.

Definitely deserves its own thread. This blog reported that the Taurus 3 was unable to play notes higher than an octave above middle C, with the EP-2 expression pedal driving the pitch to maximum. I wonder if the Minitaur has a similar limitation.

http://cl516.blogspot.com/2010/05/moog-taurus-3-bass-pedals.html

That blog author didn't play enough with his loaner.

The T3 VCOs will respond over a four octave range (an inherent design limitation of linear V/hz VCOs) and the octave switch can put them above middle C. Waddayamean, four octave range? What few people realize is the T3 will respond to an extra octave below low C over MIDI - if you always wished for a Bb below low C with that Taurus oomph, the T3 will do it.

I've been lucky enough to hear this thing in person, and it sounds phenomenal. Form factor is sweet - they're working on a solution for rackmounting 2 side by side (though I'm not sure how many people would need or want to do that).

For those who don't want to wait twenty minutes for the demo video to load on Moog's website, here you go:

[video:youtube]XZmeCnf_VyA

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

In more ways than one. Anyone remember this Dick Hyman tune from '69?

Indeed I do. Although the original may have clocked in at a bit over 8 minutes and didn't have the overdubbed spoken word junk. I used to have the LP but I may have sold it.....doh!

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Brilliant name.

You might be listening to the inspiration for Lucky Man.

Love that tune. I too always wondered if Keith was inspired by it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Nice to see Moog is following DSI in making their higher end products available in smaller, more affordable packages.

I didn't read all the specs on the Minitaur, but for those who want patch memory, I would assume the Slim Phatty would be a better fit?

My Little Phatty has quite a few nice Taurus style patches on it.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Brilliant name.

I think Keith was inspired by this tune, but not necessarily for Lucky Man. He takes an extended Moog Modular solo which quotes from this frequently on the "Welcome Back...." album, I can't remember which song. The patch was a clean, high triangle-wave sound, with the sustained sawtooth major chord in the background.

Brilliant name.

I think Keith was inspired by this tune, but not necessarily for Lucky Man. He takes an extended Moog Modular solo which quotes from this frequently on the "Welcome Back...." album, I can't remember which song. The patch was a clean, high triangle-wave sound, with the sustained sawtooth major chord in the background.

Aquatarkus?

I didn't read all the specs on the Minitaur, but for those who want patch memory, I would assume the Slim Phatty would be a better fit?

My Little Phatty has quite a few nice Taurus style patches on it.

On the surface the Minitaur would appear to have finer tuning resolution for osc 2 than the Phatty, and filter resonance that doesn't eat into fundamental at high values. All this would befit a bass synth of course - and give it a somewhat different sound than the Phatty.

But this is just conjecture from listening to the vids. To those who have got their hands on one, correct?

The KMI 12 Step might be a nice companion to the Minitaur. Each foot key is sensitive to velocity, pressure, and tilt. More 12 Step units can be chained if needed.

I don't know though if the 12 Step can control the Minitaur through USB-USB connection. The KMI Midi Expander might be needed.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether this is a minimoog-derived table top synth (a la Voyager Rack Edition) or the Taurus III pedals in a new form factor.

I certainly couldn't get on with the Taurus III interface, given the price, and bass pedals are awfully hard to play when doing other stuff, but I'm just not clear where this new product fits in the Moog DNA lineage, given that some liken it to the original Taurus I.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived