Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond, Hamichord, KeyB Duo Video

alvin13

I think of the Numa and Key B as being part of the same family, certainly. I spent quite a bit of time A/B ing them at NAMM last year, though they were on different floors.

They both gave me a lot of what I am looking for. And honestly... I couldn't hear all that much of a difference.

I was offered a Numa at approimately 1000 dollars less than the Key B solo. Do you think that caught my interest? You bet.

Elvio Previati says that they use different preamps, but the sound engines are exactly the same. So to compensate I try to use a good outboard preamp with low end boost capabilities.

With a good system, the Numa can sound great and can exhibit the good characteristics of the Key B design. I would be very curious to hear it with the Motion Sound amps mentioned above.

VanderSchoot is right. Everybody IS looking for different things. I have had people come to my house to play the Numa and what they look for and how they set it up is totally different than what I do. There is always a difference from player to player and sometimes it is a huge difference in taste in sound.

I actually played an Electro today.... it was an E3, which is supposed to be similar to the C1 engine. It sounds TOTALLY different than the Numa I have. Different C/V effect alltogetner. Percussion is not the same, and the key click was never my favorite part of the Electro.

Yet, the Electro may be the overall clone favorite on this list ( or close), though that may be shifting with the new crop of entrees. And many, many times I have heard them sound GREAT live. Will Boulware and David K. Matthews are two major organ guys that I have heard make magic on an Electro.In fact, I saw Will play one in lieu of a real B-3 that was onstage ( at a blues fest) the last time I heard him with Maceo Parker.

It's all in how you use it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apologies if already posted. Moe was right, of course. A real leslie can make anything sound better :)

To the right of the Hammond, you can see the KeyB Exp. Mine is on order but won't be ready until Jan.

clonk

Does he have any videos of the Mojo? Id be very curious.

And can anyone verify whether the KeyB Solo is the same engine as the Duo MkIII? Anybody in the States here own a KeyB Solo?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

mojo

Hamichord and Mojo have the same sound engine. Guido S, the creator of VB3 sound engine is playing the Mojo in demo 1. Some of the Hamichord demo's maybe a year or two old now.

Both VB3 and KeyB sound engines are periodically updated.

KeyB Duo and Solo have the same sound engine, as does the KeyB organ module which has 2 sets of drawbars and full plug and play functionality. Read about KeyB here. B3 guys

At the bottom of the KeyB duo III page I linked to, you can hear KeyB thru a real leslie.

Studiologic Numa organ has KeyB sound engine and is a lighter single manual, see post above your last one.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived