Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond, Hamichord, KeyB Duo Video

alvin13

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They all sound Great! Truly the best of the Hammond clones... Leave it to the Italians....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

They do indeed sound fantastic. Would have been nice to hear the Mojo in this context for comparison as well. So my question is: Other than the differences in feature design and layout, does the Mojo share the same sound as the other two? (Hamichord, KeyB). Are the output converters of weaker quality?

Apologies if this was asked and answered elsewhere.

does the Mojo share the same sound as the other two?

The KeyB and the Hamichord have different sound source, made by two different Italian manufacturers. They sound similar because they're both excellent clones. The Mojo has the same sound source (VB3-2) as the Hamichord, same maker.

I can't comment on sound converters. What are they? :(

That's right... They sound Ike real B3's. Definitely a class above H/S and Nord... IMHO

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

They all sound outstanding and personally (leslie aside), I think I might even prefer the Hamichord to that particular B3 being compared. I really love the tonewheel set that was selected on the Hami . . . . there was so much "air" in it. The percussion was a tick out front for me, but that can be easily remedied. I can only imagine how good it would have been through the Leslie.

Anyway you slice it, I'd happily play any one of those boxes if they were backlined for me.

It's a good time to be a Hammond player with this latest bumper crop of clone choices.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

He also has a video where he plays the SK2 through the same setup.

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry, the SK2 (and XK3c) are NOT in the same league as these clones... That's old technology... Just listen to the difference in the Leslie and overdrive modeling...

That being said... I was listening to an old tape of my late 90's band, The Mambo Jazz Kings this morning and my VK7 sounded pretty decent... So I pulled out another tape of my early 90's band, Daddyo, and my JV1080 with the Keyboards of the 60's and 70's card through a Motion Sound Pro 3T sounded pretty good as well!

So to each his own...

I've not heard it live and in the flesh, so I won't even begin to judge it based on a video heard through computer speakers.

IIRC, some that have actually heard it thought it was pretty good, though at $1,100.00, it's hardly inexpensive.

It is still a Roland amp, so . . . . :eek:

Here's a link from a ways back . . . and you were inquiring about it back then, Brian, when you demoed the SA-300. :laugh:

Klonk here.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

So exactly is the difference between a Cruma Hamichord, and a Crumar Mojo?

Late night typing, Tony? :poke:;)

You can find more info here http://crumar.it

They both run VB3 v2 on an embedded PC running Windows Embedded or whatever it's called. I'm not sure if the PC and the soundcard are the same.

The Hamichord is designed to look and control like a true Hammond clone, with 4 sets of 9 + 2 drawbars, percussion tabs, chorus/vibrato tabs, vibrato selection knob, reverse preset keys, etc. It even has a "Vintage style" start switch (if connected to expedition). It weighs 23 kg (50 lb).

The Mojo simplifies the design to the bare essentials. No tabs, only two sets of 9 drawbars + 2 pedal drawbars, no reverse color preset keys (just preset buttons, and buttons for the rest of the controls like vibrato and percussion). It weighs 17 kg (37 lb).

The funny thing is, I never looked at the prices until now. The prices for the base models are comparable.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You can find more info here http://crumar.it

They both run VB3 v2 on an embedded PC running Windows Embedded or whatever it's called. I'm not sure if the PC and the soundcard are the same.

About Hamichord resembling a console Hammond: Yeap. I wrote before for those who have put a lot of hours on a Hammond console, it *fools* the senses with an illusion 'in your head' like you are on a Hammond console since everything looks the same from players perspective. You forget. Obviously, this is for the 'console freak' not someone who needs organ on a single keyboard and the Mojo is easier to move. Actually, for those with the recent vintage Hamichord, they could slide out the back rack sound module and use it on another single keyboard/controller on a gig - go home - slide it back in for some console fun. Then perhaps on a different thing use as console. Not hard to move. (subjective)

My Hamichord has the PCI M-Audio Delta. I run it at 48Khz The card sounds great though not an expensive audio card. I have compared running it (VB31 version I purchased separately and the B4) with higher end D/A converters with a Fireface 800 and could not hear any material difference.

That card is also wired into an 11-pin that the first version has. MKII (recent vintage) that uses the expander does not have an 11-pin, though I believe they can custom make them. I believe the expander originally had the 11-pin if I am not mistaken. Someone told me that most of these sell in Europe and the 11-pin was not a particularly wanted feature.

(with the VB3-2 recent update of build: I still do not know, after 3 days of switching back and forth, what I like better in rotor sim = VB3-2 rotor sim or the Ventilator. Never expected to say that.)

W.

Late night typing, Tony? :poke:;)

You can find more info here http://crumar.it The funny thing is, I never looked at the prices until now. The prices for the base models are comparable.

Yeah, I know. I had been to the website, and found it strange that the pricing was so similar, which is why I asked "what's the difference". I thought someone might have some real insight into that. Either way, I can't drop $3k on something I've never even seen, much less heard in person.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Thanks for the Hamichord info, W.

Tony - have you tried VB3? I understand your concerns, but it is possible to hear VB3 (though it would be v1) now. As far as the rest of the package being untried in person, I get ya.

Tony - have you tried VB3? I understand your concerns, but it is possible to hear VB3 (though it would be v1) now. As far as the rest of the package being untried in person, I get ya.

Joe, i didn't realize the Hamichord was only $200 more and just a little heavier than the Nord C2. I might be going for it instead of the Mojo :rolleyes:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I must admit to being confused about the Hamichord M-C3 and the Exp Edition module, whether both are needed or what.

Joe, i didn't realize the Hamichord was only $200 more and just a little heavier than the Nord C2. I might be going for it instead of the Mojo :rolleyes:

I have not looked at the price sheets (really should before I write this but going out door) but it could be confused that the Hamichord is sold **without** the expander (that has all the organ sounds/VB3-2) as a controller. The Mojo is sold complete as organ. You would have to add about $1K +- for the rack module that slides into back of Hamichord to get sounds for complete Hamichord organ.

I should also subjectively add: Hamichord until it is in the case/bag, though not heavy, is bulky and a 2-man (though I can do it with difficulty) move. The Mojo strikes me being smaller as much easier to handle for 1 man if that is an issue.

I should also add about the remarks about the Windows Embedded. I have never had one incident of failure in 2 years. Nothing. 100% bullet proof. Actually, it is write protected as read-only when you get it (not sure now if true) so after a reboot nothing can stick to effect it. I took my write protection out via the CMD so I could write in more recent builds of VB3-2 and just recently the final Crumar version of VB3-2. When I am happy, I will revert it back to read only.

W.

I must admit to being confused about the Hamichord M-C3 and the Exp Edition module, whether both are needed or what.

Honestly? i don't get it either, i thought the exp edition was just a rack, now i'm confused. Is it just a vb3 in a box or something else? :confused:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Yeah, as far as the Numa,the pros outweigh the cons so far. Still the best single manual option out there for me due to the quality of the chorus vibrato and leslie sim. Not to mention the weight... certainly a factor these days.

I waited a long time for all that to change, so when it finally appeared I was more than glad.

As Guido said there were plenty of clones out there that weren't right in the C/V dept. I guess some people just don't hear the difference or don't care. And yes , to me the Key B engine is a little backed off in the top octave but I see that as a pro rather than a con. So many people were spending a lot of dough on boutique preamps etc. etc. to try to get clones to be less shrill. And then one comes along that isn't.

I don't know.... it works for me I guess.

Like LX88, I am a very happy Numa user and have similar experiences with the total Numa package.

Even more so after adding a Motion Sound KP500SN, it really is the best clone combo I have played.

Last week I played a few minutues on the Hammond XK3c upper/lower system with a ventilator connected to some studio monitors.

The owner was in clonewheel heaven, but to me it wasn't all that great sounding.

Mitch struggled with the Numa tone, I personally don't care much for the vb3 engine (not heard the second generation in person though).

I hope that we all accept that personal taste can be different, without silently accusing others for bad taste.

The most profound personal example is the GEM line stage piano's with physical modelling and samples.

Some loved the sound of the Fazioli and Steinway, some thought they sounded okey.

I bought one, but I have never owned nor played such a terrible equall temp. tuned digital.The intervals sucked big time.

I seemed to be the only one that was so focussed on this particular issue when mentioned.

I sold it to a pianist/pianotuner who couldn't care and was very happy with it.

Our hearing is so diverse and I am glad we do not all have the same perception about sound.

Archived