Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP! Microkorg or Microkorg XL STAND?

Lord_Nord

The Hercules KS410B double-tier z-stand would probably work well for you, though you still may need a bit of extra support. You could put a small but thick plank of wood or sheet of plastic on your stand, and the XL on top of it. I do that for my MS-20, which is above a controller keyboard.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

• 1 year later...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool perspex stand there Mahinty.

I was just wondering whether it flexes at all while you are playing?

Thanks,

SSM

Yeah, it flexes a little bit - but it doesn't bother me. I'm not playing any Rachmaninov!!!

:-)

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

How hard do you bang on it? I bought a mic stand flange and then made a platform out of wood and crown molding to hold the MicroKorg. Then you can just use a regular straight mic stand. It worked well enough that I made another one for my MacBook. Not quite as sturdy as a keyboard rack mounted stand, but on the other hand there's way more flexibility with placement.

I use this Gibraltar Electronic Mounting Station for a Korg R3 (slightly larger than a Microkorg), and it clamps to and supports the board well, although this stand may be better suited for angling the board in from either side rather than directly in front. My R3 is dedicated to LH bass, so the Gibraltar stand has been a perfect solution for positioning a small board at an angle to the left of a two-tier setup.

For the guys who earlier mentioned a need for a secure laptop stand, it's great for securely holding and optimally positioning a computer as well - lots of height and angle options.

I also mounted an iPad holder to it for IEM control and charts when using the R3, so that's another use for it; fairly versatile and easily packable piece.

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KS212s / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112s MB115 MB210s Neo410

I use my GEMS stand for my Boss DR-880 drum machine. I started a thread where I researched a number of stands for pedals and/or accessories. In case you're interested, the link is here:

Stand / shelf / rack for mixers / pedals / accessories?

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

• 1 year later...

So here I am, back again, 6 years after buying my MircoKorg, and I still havent got a stand that Im happy with.

To re-cap, my custom perspex stand is fine for home, but it's not really right for the road (fragile, bulky).

The On-Stage KSA8000 Deluxe Universal 2nd tier did the job for a few gigs where I used the MK, but then I ended up mostly doing gigs with the Nord only and the problem went away for a bit.

I have recently joined another band where the MK is going to be a mainstay, and the KSA8000 is really becoming a pain. Its awkward to transport and I dont need the second set of arms so they just get in the way, and I find it hard to get it to position the MK exactly where I want it.

I started to consider the Quiklok WS-421 table top style one (always a preference over an X-stand for me) with the Quiklok WS-422 second tier. I was pretty into it and then found that my local agent wouldnt have the 2nd tier in stock until next year!!!!! Im in New Zealand but thats crazy slow even for us in this day and age.

So Ive kind of resigned to sticking with the X-stand for the Nord, and maybe giving the Quiklok QLX-3 a go as a 2nd tier for the MK. It looks like its quite adjustable (height, angle) and should work with a little synth even when the main X-stand is in a low (seated) position - which is pretty key for me.

Anyone tried one of these? Any other suggestions/recommendations?

My blog

Nord Electro 2 | microKorg | Casiotone MT-65 | Hammond XB-2 | Korg Electribe-R ER-1

The MK is small and light, and the Nord has plenty of free panel space... I would just velcro it to the Nord. Sure, it will go off the edge some, but I bet it's plenty stable enough. The only issue is that you'd have to either put it on the right for RH playing or on the left for LH playing. If you use it both ways (say, for leads on some songs and bass lines on others, all while still playing the Nord), that's a problem. You'll have to buy a second one. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I quite like the free-standing ideas from @redkey and @TWizzle, but there's something so simple about @AnotherScott's idea of just sticking the MK to the Nord. Why haven't I thought of that before? Instead of using velcro, I thought maybe instead I could affix some strong magnetic strips on the bottom of the Korg to save me applying anything to the nord.

Perhaps, something like this .

Hopefully, the magnet will be strong enough to hold it to the metal case of the nord.

Just need to convince myself that the position will work for me - I think it will be OK for the types of parts I play on the MK.

Stay tuned.......

My blog

You might want to be careful about using magnets. I know magnets can in some cases be used to erase hard drive data... Maybe someone who understands electronics much better can weigh in on any specific danger they could pose to your boards.

I could be completely overreacting here - I don't know much about magnets and circuitry beyond my Physics courses in college, and I've forgotten a lot of it.

Nord: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D

Casio: PX-5S

Yamaha: P-121

Novation: MiniNova, BSII, Circuit

DSI Mopho x4

I would be more worried about erasing my credit card than causing problems with those keyboards.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

You might want to be careful about using magnets. I know magnets can in some cases be used to erase hard drive data... Maybe someone who understands electronics much better can weigh in on any specific danger they could pose to your boards.

I could be completely overreacting here - I don't know much about magnets and circuitry beyond my Physics courses in college, and I've forgotten a lot of it.

Pretty confident that the solid state circuitry in these things is unaffected by magnetic fields.

I have actually used small but strong, rare earth magnets to hold set lists on the nord before (with no ill effect).

Would keep magnets away from this one though, if I had one:

57d8733007c53_e_mu_emulator_ii(1).JPG.0a7f0162c57cba863fc036f2d8bfa239.JPG

My blog

• 2 weeks later...

Hi team!

So I bought some of this self-adhesive magnetic tape. The specs said it was only 3mm thick, but I think in reality it was a bit thicker than that as it ended up sitting slightly higher than the MK feet - which was pretty much perfect:

34906988494_c762415558_n.jpg

So I stuck some on:

35705292926_528c15f340_n.jpg

And voila!

35576601582_f3f6f57ceb_n.jpg

34904332604_baa2f26f9f_n.jpg

And you know what, it worked out great! The hold was just right - pretty strong, but not too hard to take off at pack-down (helps that the MK over-hangs so that you can lever it off). Being a rubber material helps with the grip and it didn't damage the paintwork of the Nord. It's actually way more stable than the 2nd tier stand.

Playing position was surprisingly good. Obviously, right-hand only, but that's mostly all I use with this band. Bit of a stretch over to the Cutoff and Resonance knobs - but not a deal-breaker for me.

I liked the simplicity of it all. I liked how I was sitting above it all, with the control panels of both keyboards clearly visible and accessible. I liked the much easier setup and pack-down and less stuff to lug around. I liked not being hidden behind the cage of the 2-tier stand! I am a dove - set me free!

Original photos here.

My blog

• 5 months later...

Nice!

I did something similar, but with velcro strips. I was putting an ultranova on top of my Mojo, and so to avoid hitting the Mojo's buttons, I also had to make these right angle wood pieces to raise the ultranova up a bit, similar to what you did with those foam pieces. It was a great setup.

I imagine the magnet strips give a better hold.

Will the microkorg slide if you put too much lateral pressure on it while you play?

How hard do you bang on it? I bought a mic stand flange and then made a platform out of wood and crown molding to hold the MicroKorg.

Ha, I'd forgotten I replied to this. Anyway I have photos now. Made it out of scrap lumber and leftover paint. Cost almost nothing, works way better than I would have expected.

Here's the bottom. Mic stand screws right onto the flange. Low-tech but surprisingly robust.

http://www.oceanbeach.com/temp/microkorgstand1.jpg

And now right-side-up:

http://www.oceanbeach.com/temp/microkorgstand2.jpg

http://www.oceanbeach.com/temp/microkorgstand3.jpg

I ended up liking the idea so much I made a much nicer one for the MacBook and gave it a nice matte urethane stain finish.

http://www.oceanbeach.com/temp/mbpstand.jpg

Archived