Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got my Nord Stage 2! Favorite Samples, Anyone?

Dave Pierce

Woo Hoo! It's here. :rawk: Big Sweetwater box showed up today (not that I was surprised, I've been obsessively refreshing the "track my shipment" page at fedex.com for days...) ;):taz:

I love it, and I'm having a blast choosing sounds. I have a gig with the Santana tribute Saturday night, and I want to have everything dialed in to replace the Kurzweil PC1se, and the Mopho module.

I'm curious what other Stage users like for their main piano and main Rhodes.

Of the pianos already loaded into the NS2, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha (Studio Grand 2).

I really like the Sparkle Top Rhodes, but it doesn't sound much like Abraxas, which is definitely the sound I'm going for as a "main" Rhodes. I'm thinking the Mk I ClsIdeal so far.

What are you guys using, and why do you like it?

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bright Grand, Lady D, Close Ideal thru Fender Twin Sim.

I'd recommend using the Live presets for a while then start saving them.

Have a quick look through the manual, but it's pretty easy to learn.

Welcome to the Red Army!

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Steinway D large, Black Upright large. (Dave, that is TREAT all the way!)

Ha! Yeah, I liked Black Upright for Treat the first few times I tried it. But after a while the "character" of the piano just started to seem artificial to me. And when I played it for Audrey she was immediately turned off by it. So I moved on to other things.

I might re-visit it for Treat. I definitely like the Yamaha for the Latin stuff though. And I've always been a "one piano" kind of guy with my keyboards. I'd rather get to know one really well even if it isn't perfect for everything. I suppose I could change that, but it's my mental model.

Thanks for all the input, guys! Anyone else?

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

My favorite upright is still the Romantic Upright. It's not for modern music, but great for blues. Of all the Nord pianos I find that this is the only one that has enough bite in the upper octaves. It is also great in mono, which cannot be said for all the other pianos, IMHO.

Other than that I have the Bright Grand, Imperial grand, Grand Lady and Black Upright loaded - all medium version. The Bright Grand is my go to piano for band work. For solo work, the Imperial or Grand Lady. Then small versions of the Saloon upright, the CP80 and Rain Piano (just because I had some free space). Last but not least I have a medium Concert Grand Ambient (Steinway D) loaded. Mainly just for fun - it's a recording from the city concert hall where I live. Not a coincidence - the guy who samples all the pianos, live somewhere around here, from what I've heard. This piano is nice for soft classical pieces like Moonlight Sonata.

As far as Rhodes go epiano 1 (mkI), 4 (mkV) and the SparkleTop are my favorites. The Wurly and Clav are a must, IMO, and I also enjoy the Italian harpsichords.

As for the synths section... well, I have the memory maxed out wit a lot of samples, including some of my own. The new Oberheim samples are really nice!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Romantic Upright is great for Beatles numbers like Lady Madonna. For band work Bright Grand XL is great, Bosie for solo work. Rhodes-wise my favourite is the Sparkletop.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived