Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

horn sample library

Dave E

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By "horn" do you mean Orchestral Horn? Or do you mean the generic term for any wind instrument in a jazz band, big band, or pop/rock/r&b/reggae/etc. line-up?

If you mean Orchestral Horn, probably the most flexible one right now for building sections is the Dimension Brass library from VSL -- check to see if individual parts of that library have been made available as cheaper download libraries.

If you are a bit patient, Horn is the next target release from Sample Modeling, who have done a magnificent job already with section-friendly and expressive wind instruments (primarily brass and saxophones). They're still fine-tuning it, but there's speculation it may be out by end of year.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks Mark,

Yeah, I should have been more clear.... I need to demo up some funk/pop horns: Trumpet, Tenor and Bari... maybe Trombone, but maybe not this time.

Sometimes I do this with just piano sounds, sometimes the sounds in Finale, or sometimes stock Roland sounds from a JV1010. Something a little better but still quick and easy would be nice.

I don't need to do anything fancy - just good enough to present a demo before the parts are recorded by real horns.

You can do no better than Sample Modeling if you can afford it -- the Vir2 Mojo Horns have gotten a fair amount of negative feedback from those who have tried to use them to build believable sections, which was a bit of a surprise as some of their other products are quite easy to work with.

Another recent option is the down-scaled version of Chris Hein's horns. They're also on sale right now. The tiny subset that is in Kontakt's default factory library proved useful as placeholders for me until Sample Modeling extended their offerings. And I still quite like their timbre, which isn't as bright as Sample Modeling's but has a lot of character (especially the trombone).

So, really, since these aren't "keeper" tracks but need to get the idea across to real musicians, the CHH Lite collection (or whatever it's being called) may be your most affordable upgrade from stock ROMpler sounds.

There's also Broadway Big Band Lite from SONiVOX, on 25% off sale through the weekend, but even the lite version is a bit pricey.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm using Wallander for almost all my brass now. Sections get built up with a combination of Wallander as mainly 1st chairs and samples as 2nd chairs. Been really happy with the approach.

Wallander doesn't do to great with certain jazz/pop articulations, but I really like the tone and expressiveness, especially if you're using a breath controller.

Just finished scoring a small WWII documentary, and used nothing but Wallander - client is damned happy with the results...

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

The Wallander saxes are the weakest of the set, unfortunately. And the woodwinds (as a group) are a bit more convincing than the brass (as a group), with the Horn being particularly weak. There hasn't been much development for awhile, so one has to wonder about the product's future (unlike other modeling programs, such as Pianoteq). Still, they do now have that cheap introductory package.

The Garritan stuff frequently goes on sale and is affordable. I've simply never personally been happy with the inconsistencies (sloppy playing, poor editing or miking, etc.). It reminds me of Roland synths; if you have the patience to sift through the bad patches and take careful note of the ones that are usable, it can be a good deal. But my judgment is based on Version 2; perhaps Version 3 is a lot better and has corrected many of those errors. And certainly it integrates well with the notation programs, as Garritan works closely with those vendors.

Kick Ass Brass gets lots of good reviews from those building sections vs. focusing on solo work. I don't have personal experience with that library, but it seems to get much praise over at vi-control.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the Korg Triton classic has decent brass section sounds for live use? How bout strings?...not to get off topic

In my opinion the Triton brass is ok, but nothing great, strings are decent, but not great either, for really good brass(requires a computer) check out the SampleModeling,(samplemodeling.com) Trumpet, Trombone, and Saxes, since I got these I never ever want to hear the Triton, or most hardware keyboard's brass sounds.. :)

DP 7.24, Superior 2.3, Ivory II, FM8, NI Vintage Organs, Kontakt, Arturia MMV 2.6, GSI VB3, Fractal Axe FX II, Roland A-80, Oberheim Matrix 12, Minimoog, Oberheim 4 voice, etc.

I'm going on tour pretty soon with an Elvis tribute artist...and I'm not a soft synth guy buy I need a brass/strings sampler that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any recommendations for hard synth/sampler that can do this the best?

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

Is there a way with the Sample Modeling instruments, to do realtime mapping like when you play a triad each of the notes plays a different instrument, ie low note trombone, middle sax and trumpet on top, yet playing single note lines plays all three in unison? The Wallander instruments seems to be able to do this, as well as the Roland ARX expansion card.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Is there a way with the Sample Modeling instruments, to do realtime mapping like when you play a triad each of the notes plays a different instrument, ie low note trombone, middle sax and trumpet on top, yet playing single note lines plays all three in unison? The Wallander instruments seems to be able to do this, as well as the Roland ARX expansion card.

No, not that I know of, that would be nice to have, maybe some future upgrade wil do it, don't know, but I like the sounds much better then the Wallander, for my needs.

DP 7.24, Superior 2.3, Ivory II, FM8, NI Vintage Organs, Kontakt, Arturia MMV 2.6, GSI VB3, Fractal Axe FX II, Roland A-80, Oberheim Matrix 12, Minimoog, Oberheim 4 voice, etc.

I'm going on tour pretty soon with an Elvis tribute artist...and I'm not a soft synth guy buy I need a brass/strings sampler that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any recommendations for hard synth/sampler that can do this the best?

Maybe something like a used Roland Fantom XR module, loaded with ram, and the Roland brass expansion, or maybe looking for some AKAI brass sample libraries to add to that, they can be loaded in the Fantom, and sound very decent, and it's very compact to move around, specially for touring.

You can hear some of the Roland expansion Brass demos here: http://media.roland.com/en/IT/SRX_IT/index.html

Bare in mind though, that the Fantom XR is not compatible with the ARX-cards. Only the Fantom-G keyboards accepts these cards. So you cannot take advantage of this latest ARX brass expansion with the XR module. You can however expand it with the SRX-10 big brass ensemble card, which features a lot of brass samples, but no saxophones.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Bare in mind though, that the Fantom XR is not compatible with the ARX-cards. Only the Fantom-G keyboards accepts these cards. So you cannot take advantage of this latest ARX brass expansion with the XR module. You can however expand it with the SRX-10 big brass orchestra card, which features a lot of brass samples, but no saxophones.

Yes that's true, maybe the big brass SRX card + some Akai sample library, for the extra sounds could do a decent job, for live.

Just bumping this thread to mention that today only (Dec 15) Sonivox is having a 60% off sale on Broadway Big Band ($995) and Broadway Lites ($199). I'd say "Lites" is a no-brainer at that price.

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductList.asp?new=1&mnu=GrpBigBand&pg=InsaneDealBigBand

Me too. I ordered Lites yesterday. It will be my first horn sample library. As a former saxophonist, I am very picky!

Archived