Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A slightly different 'which midi controller' question

joeljjison

I think we can all agree that there isn't really a perfect (smaller than 88) option, that we can agree upon.

My hunt is for a nice 61 key with piano shape keys (semi weighted.. so i can get away with piano, but still play organ and synth.. i want a compromise between the two), but I think it applies to anyone who wants less than 88 like that. Either the keys feel great but they don't send good signals, or the controls suck, or something.

What if there was something with decent keys... and you combined it with a Novation zero thing... so instead of having to find a board with nice keys and nice controls, you just need to find one with nice keys

Does anyone know such a board?

Thoughts? Advice?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Infinite Response VAX77 -- more than the 61 keys you want, but it folds, so it's still compact, and possibly the only board that arguably actually feels good for piano and organ. At the other extreme, maybe a Yamaha NP-11... unweighted but still somewhat playable for piano.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I may be very picky, but I do not believe this controller exists in the current market, and I have owned the following:

Yamaha KX-49

Novation Remote SL Compact 49

E-Mu XBoard61

M-Audio Oxygen 61 (v3)

M-Audio Axiom Pro 61

M-Audio Axiom 61 (2nd. Gen)

Roland A-800PRO

Novation Impulse 61

CME Z-Key 61

My advice - wait for Winter NAMM 2012 on the off-chance something worth it will be released, or go for a used E-Mu XBoard61 or a Novation Remote SLMKII 61.

I may be very picky

:idea:;)

I don't recall what your issue was with the Impulse, but I think it's the only reasonably priced semi-weighted option worth considering.

Other than the buttons and drum pads, it just felt very cheap and flimsy to me, including the action.

Other than the buttons and drum pads, it just felt very cheap and flimsy to me, including the action.

I disagree with you about the action, and the build quality is no worse than many other offerings that use heavy plastic.

I wouldn't worry much about controls on a 61 key controller if it was me. I would just get the best feeling keyboard I could find whatever it might be .... maybe an old D-50 or a DX-7 in mint condition.... whatever floats one's boat.

Then pickup MIDI control surface that would give you the controls you want. Maybe a Novation something like a Novation Zero SL would work.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I wouldn't worry much about controls on a 61 key controller if it was me. I would just get the best feeling keyboard I could find whatever it might be .... maybe an old D-50 or a DX-7 in mint condition.... whatever floats one's boat.

Then pickup MIDI control surface that would give you the controls you want. Maybe a Novation something like a Novation Zero SL would work.

Nothing wrong with this advice but the OP wants semi-weighted piano-style keys.

Keep dreaming... LOL. I don't think there is such a thing as far as I know.

Or like others in the thread suggest get a proper synth and use that as controller. Maybe an original Nord Electro could fit the bill? My Fantom G6 is my controller now. My ancient DX7 and D70 made better controllers than the plastic modern MIDI controllers. Pair em up with a Novation Zero or Korg Nanopad etc.

Either that or live with the Axiom Pro type action...

Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

I think the Kurzweil sp4-7 although 76 keys would otherwise fit your brief almost perfectly.

Semi weighted,

Small and light but solid build,

Good controller features and midi spec (except no after touch)

Good sound set especially piano, elpiano and strings/pads.

Instruments: Kawai MP7, Viscount DB3 Drawbar organ, Roland pedals, Ventilator, Akai EWI, lots of trombones, bass trumpet, tuba, saxophones.

VAX77 is the last controller you'll ever need for the playing of notes.

First time I played it I thought it was wierd as the actual attack was incorrect, but the bounce back was exactly like a real Piano, so I knew they were onto something.

Last year at NAMM they fixed their ModWheel glitch and the action was really nice but the PolyAT is the big seller, and as long as you don;t need to play Classical Piano all night 76 keys are plenty.

But for really controlling many control signals I have a friend with a Numa Nero and Code Livid and that's an impressive stage rig.

Magnus C350 and a TV Dinner Tray Stand

http://soundcloud.com/you/sets

The impulse could be it, but the world (as always) can't seem to reach an agreement as to whether its amazing or terrible. I'm hoping to try one out today.

The VAX77 is great, but I cannot afford it for a while. I may well get it at a later stage, since I intend to be buying whatever I buy now... as a main rig... but eventually getting an 88 or close to for the underneath... I was thinking about the VAX, or a Numa... but thats not important now.

Just for a little background info, this is for a muse receptor. And I do have some keyboard available to me;

I have a novation sl mk2. It's nice, but I want something better for playing piano on... , something that doesn't necessitate carrying around 88 keys.

I have for the last three years been using a Nord Stage Compact. It will do. I could use that. But I want to get lighter. My back hurts from playing all this music!!

I would love to sell it and buy an electro 3 for this purpose.. the 61 is a perfect size, assuming i can fit a Zero SL up there... except no pitch bend or mod wheel.

Really though I'd like to spend £500. I'm aware that I'll get what I pay for, but all I really want is for the board to be gigworthy and not be crap.

I hope the impulse is ok...

The impulse could be it, but the world (as always) can't seem to reach an agreement as to whether its amazing or terrible

I have a novation sl mk2. It's nice, but I want something better for playing piano on...

I have for the last three years been using a Nord Stage Compact. It will do. I could use that. But I want to get lighter. My back hurts from playing all this music!!

I would love to sell it and buy an electro 3 for this purpose.. the 61 is a perfect size, assuming i can fit a Zero SL up there... except no pitch bend or mod wheel.

So you find the Nord Stage Compact acceptable for playing piano? Just more evidence of, as you say, the world, as always, not being able to reach agreement on these things. I don't like the non-fully-weighted Nords for piano at all. It's also interesting that you find the 21 lb Nord Stage Compact too heavy (but the 15.3 lb E3 would be good)... some of the boards mentioned so far would also have been too heavy. And the need for wheels means something like the Yamaha NP-11 I mentioned won't work either. But maybe the MOX6. But then there's the £500 price range... Yeah, the more info you provide, the more relevant suggestions you may get... but you sure are narrowing down the possibilities!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Novation Remote SL (comes with Fatar keybed)

Not semi-weighted piano-style.

It helps to read the thread before you post. :idea:

With its ... professional, semi-weighted keyboard featuring aftertouch, the SL COMPACT upholds Novations philosophy of designing real instruments rather than mere computer peripherals.

Novationmusic Website

Pays to get your facts right before criticising :(

"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

With its ... professional, semi-weighted keyboard featuring aftertouch, the SL COMPACT upholds Novations philosophy of designing real instruments rather than mere computer peripherals.

Novationmusic Website

Pays to get your facts right before criticising :(

How much does it pay? ;)

My definition of "semi-weighted" is different from Novation's. The Remote line has synth keys. As I understand it, the OP is looking for keys similar to the Impulse, the SP4-7, or the PC3LE7, with a closed, piano-style shape.

The Korg Kontrol 49 is the best feeling controller I have. It does not feel like I am playing a cheap controller. On the bad side, it is heavy. You might be able to find a 61 key version but that line has been discontinued.

I've settled in on a Roland controller. It is smaller, lighter, not nearly as deep as the Korg, and feels almost as good.

I have a Novation SL in the closet. It has a noticable bounce to the keys that drives me crazy. It throws off my timeing when doing runs or fast chording.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

AnotherScott, I think more so than the weight of the Electro 3 the size difference does make it a significant amount less of pain to cart around!

I didn't want to provide too much information, since whenever I've done that I don't get responses! Its good to just give me a few things to look into though, so I'm grateful to everyone who has answered!

I guess the Mox 6 could have been a solution, if I felt a little richer! Having tried the Novation... its alright though!

The semi weighted Nords are by definition a compromise... For me, they're the best board for playing both organ and piano on one board... that I have come across.

Just to settle the little dispute, D-bon is correct... I wanted piano sized keys... I don't know what the name for that is, but how weighted something is has nothing to do with whether you have full size keys or not... but I really don't mind! All info is good info!

RABid, thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can check one out! I think I'll probably buy the impulse though... I'm not that great at midi and automap has made it a lot easier for me when I have had to do anything... and now I'm planning to go in deeper so it'll be a useful tool to have available. That bounce, I know what you mean... my problem with it.. and most midi controllers to be honest, is ... just fundamentally odd. Somehow especially when playing loud :S... just the feedback from the keyboard feels wrong. Its difficult to describe!

The thing is I have some choice available to me now. I can use the impulse as I'm getting to grips with my soon to be purchased receptor...plus its good for smaller gigs, rehearsals... bring out one of my nords with nicer feeling keys for stuff that merits it.. I'll have a graphic interface on my laptop anyway.

A semiweighted 61? The only one I know of is the M-audio keystation 61es. I just got the 88 version (used, 80 bucks) and while it looks rather cheap, it's built rather well (first thing I did is taking it apart to clean). The action is ok to me - light enough to play organ and synth, and with some weight to give me a degree of control over piano parts, and it's very compact - I plan to use it paired with a netbook for occasional jams and to keep as a practice board in my dayjob office.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

The only one I know of is the M-audio keystation 61es. I just got the 88 version (used, 80 bucks) and while it looks rather cheap, it's built rather well (first thing I did is taking it apart to clean).

I wouldn't describe that thin plastic casing as "built rather well." You paid too much for that POS. I wouldn't want one even if it was free.

What is semi-weighted? Isn't that kind of like .... 'sort of pregnant'.?

:rolleyes:

My definition of "semi-weighted" is different from Novation's. The Remote line has synth keys. As I understand it, the OP is looking for keys similar to the Impulse, the SP4-7, or the PC3LE7, with a closed, piano-style shape.

Archived