Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Difference Between a Custom Built And Stock Bass

plangentmusic

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i've looked into custom shoes before.

And to think you were going to link to something about Bill Bowerman's reincarnation or resurrection and how you were gonna score some custom lasts for your next pair of marathon kicks.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

What did you see?

Peace,

wraub

One good hijack deserves another.

Chorus:

Look in my eyes

What do you see?

Please explain my misery.

Look in my eyes

What do you see?

Contacts and Cataracts and complacency.

Verse #1

You pay me to tell you

What you want to hear

Your preconceived notions of outdated gear.

Your glasses are dirty

and full of make-up.

Your vision's still foggy,

but your mind is made up.

(Ha! That's my other original tune that's in the set list. I don't play it often....)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

back to subject: it comes down to a question of "need" vs "want", "cost" vs "value", and man's infinite ability to self delude & justify both. do i really need more than my early 70's hagstrom? no. do i want a matching set of 4- 5- & 6- string alembic series II's, fretted & fretless? absolutely yes! can i justify the $125K+ cost? not @this time. if i could justify price, do i think they're worth it? abso- frakkin'- lutely!! but that's just me. your milage may differ. in the meantime, i'm really enjoying the warwick dolphin sn tcs i got used...
"All music is folk music; I ain't never heard no horse sing a song."- Louis Armstrong

I own a $3000+ bass that was built to my exact specs. I also own a $200.00 Squier 5 string that has had a good set up. Apart from the electronics, I imagine that 99.99% of people in the world could not tell the difference between them.

That's not really the point of anything that is considered a higher end version of a piece of functional (or non functional) equipment. After a certain (low) threshold, it simply personal preference. Period. there's nothing good or bad to attribute to it. It just is.

"For instance" is not proof.

http://www.lecomptebass.com/stss5/SN28/pics/lec-stss-sn28-13.jpg

http://www.lecomptebass.com/stss5/SN32/pics/lec-stss-sn32-13.jpg

I wish I owned this in a lefty.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

lecompte?

Yep. I don't think I've ever heard one negative remark about him or his work.

I really like LeCompte's designs and Skjold does do some beautiful work. I am also fond of Clement's basses and they are very reasonably priced too.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I debated a custom built bass but decided with my history I better go for something with a better resale potential. Depending on how you get your custom bass built, you may be stuck with it.

I went with a new Fender American Standard Jazz 4 - a pretty safe, almost boring choice.

Don't forget that when you order a custom bass, it always comes out just like you expected. http://wishbass.com/images/180_z100-2.JPG

:crazy:

I can feel the heat of the flames of the RAWK that bass is bringin'!

• 2 weeks later...

I came close to buying a used LeCompte during my 2011 J-bass search. Very nice.

What did I see when I looked into custom shoes? That's where my soul would be! (I am the sole member who would say that - thanks to wraub for the setup). :grin:

I find I enjoy the subtle design differences in some of the more expensive basses. I have to say that while I prefer custom (or more expensive) basses, I never look down on any bass that works. I have been at jams or met other players that have instruments with bad electronics, wacky necks, rusted strings, etc. That's what I dislike. I have seen many players do great things with inexpensive/production basses - I don't judge the player by the headstock.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah, but we're all older and more mature and know better now. Supposedly.

Auditioned about four years ago for a gear snob. Didn't like much my showing up with a Squier Special P, but I'm not bringing the real hardware to your tired little audition until I know you better.

Two years later we met at a gig; he was diggin' on the Reissue and thought I might look familiar. I told him where we met and he wondered why I never got a second look. Didn't bother to tell him.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I don't judge the player by the headstock.

I admit to being a bit of a gear snob, but it runs in both directions, as my tastes are kind of middle of the road.

I'm as likely to sniff and go "really?" to a $5,000 hippy sandwich as I am to a Teisco.

But once the playing starts, that all fades -- I'm more interested in what the guy is doing with what he's got.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived