Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joined the melodica club.

stillplaying

As part of my financial drive to get more money while playing fewer gigs - I've agreed to learn a Ceilidh Set for one of the function bands I work with.

Here in Scotland that means a medley of tunes to which the wedding guests do set dances (with some instruction from a caller) known as Strip The Willow, The Dashing White Sargent and The Gay Gordon.

It has been many years since I was still deluded enough to think i was cool and down with the kids, but I think this may be a new low.

Their agent said it would look better if I came out front and played the tunes on an accordian at the vocal mic. The melodica is a compromise.

Ordered the hohner black student model. I know I'll get into it. Anyone on here got the Hammond one with the pickup that has a mouthpiece angled like a sax? It's about £400 here. If this is where the work is I'd think about one and maybe take it out with some of the other ensembles.

Black leather kilt is next (so they've told me). Women seem to like em - it might be less cringey than the melodica.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone on here got the Hammond one with the pickup that has a mouthpiece angled like a sax? It's about £400 here. If this is where the work is I'd think about one and maybe take it out with some of the other ensembles.

I love melodicas, but I've always hated the snorkels...makes people look like cyborg elephants (well, if you take enough drugs...)

I ordered one of those swan mouthpiece from the harmonica company in the UK:

http://www.theharmonicacompany.com/_harmonicastore/product/496-hohner-replacement-melodica-swan-mouthpiece.asp

Then, using 10mm/3/8" goodyear fuel pipe as a connector (it won't fit directly), attached it to the existing fitting of the snorkel. This set up is better than a straight swan mouthpiece IMO, because you see the keyboard easier. It fits both my Hohner student and also my little soprano Suzuki (my favourite of the two):

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/Longfuse123/MySpace.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/Longfuse123/Mute1.jpg

The fuel pipe is really heavy duty, and to date it's held up no problem.

Each to their own (naturally), but I think it looks better than a snorkel.

I use the snorkle sometimes and sometimes I use a mouthpiece.

There is a picture of me playing a melodica with the snorkle on a band website. The caption reads "It is an instrument or a bong...not sure".

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I own both an accordion and a melodica. Actually accordion is cool - it's authentic. Melodica is kind of weird.

http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/2009/04/medium_Donald%20Fagen.jpg

Oh yeah? :laugh:

Tell that to this guy. :cool:

Donald Fagen - Steely Dan

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I play both accordion (Hohner Century or Roland FR-2) and melodica with a singer-songwriter I work with... I get far more questions and compliments about the melodica from his fan base, although when I use the FR-2, I use a wireless, and I tend to wander about the venue just for kicks. ;)

Melodicas are the bomb! Congrats!!

You should try out a Suzuki Pro 37. For my money it's one of the best currently made. Search for previous posts on the subject to read about how I ended up with the Suzuki.

I drool over the Hammond but the price here in Canada is around $700! :freak:

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Whoever thinks melodicas are not cool, go check John Medeski playing one. It's a very cool thing to see. And it's a very cool thing to play on stage. I do play my Hammond melodica with my group from time to time for one or two songs and i get more positive reactions from the crowd (+ the stylophone) than i get from anything else (electro, lead, solos etc etc). Go for it!
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Also, although I bought the first Suzuki-Hammond Melodica a few years back (Model #44), don't forget that the two they added a couple of years later include a Bass Melodica. That one's on my list. I would order it sight unseen, no questions. The 44 is one of the most nuanced and reactive instruments I own. Still not sure why they call them Melodions vs. Melodicas.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

+1 on the Bass Melodica! That's next on my list too, and I'll finally be able to do the theme from Sanford and Son justice!

THey call them Melodions instead of Melodicas because, IIRC, the name 'melodica' is copyrighted by Hammond.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I struggle with a good way to mic the melodica. I try to play it through my vocal mic. It may be as simple as the sound guy has not figured out that he needs to turn up my mic when I pickup the melodica.

Anyone jerry rig lapel mics for melodica or are there better ways?

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You might mean Hohner, as Hammond is the one that calls them Melodions?

You are correct, Mark! Hohner has the melodica copyright. Thanks for catching that!

I struggle with a good way to mic the melodica. I try to play it through my vocal mic. It may be as simple as the sound guy has not figured out that he needs to turn up my mic when I pickup the melodica.

I've not tried using a lapel/lavalier mic on my melodica. I've also heard of people using various contact mics with them but I have no experience with those either.

The Suzuki Pro 37 seems to project best from the back. I often will take my vocal mic and lean the boom down, point the mic up and then hold my melodica so the mic is behind it. It also has the advantage of letting the audience have a clear view of the instrument and my hands as I play.

I think it also depends on the melodica you're using. The Pro 37 is LOUD and gets picked up pretty easily by any mic placed near it, much like a horn. My Hohner Piano 26 doesn't project nearly as much and is harder to mic well in a full band situation as a result.

A condenser clip-on like audio-technica's AT-35 (or 350) sounds awesome on my Hohner. I doubt that one of those cheap lapel mics would perform very well, but let us know if you try it.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

A condenser clip-on like audio-technica's AT-35 (or 350) sounds awesome on my Hohner. I doubt that one of those cheap lapel mics would perform very well, but let us know if you try it.

Just like staring at the sun, use a mirror to view this vid...or you might go blind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUlo-ZQ32U

I asked on a singers forum about those clip on mics. The one everyone recommended cost a fortune, so never went down that route. They obviously work though.

Collected my black Hohner student 32 yesterday afternoon. Got a half hour on it and took it to a (folk) rehearsal last night. Big hit with them (mostly - BloodyMary message below).

@longfuse - cheers for the mouthpiece suggestion. Going to try it. Also liked the photo with the hat - very well done. I've a bunch of art and media students (for numeracy) who show me their latest Photoshop efforts. Starting to get what constitutes a good photo. That looks good to me - is it your work?

@Sven wireless accordion? Dont know how well youre received over there but over here youd have godlike status with the Salsa Celtica, Red Hot Chilli Piper crew. Im on here long enough to know you do the rock thing too. There would be a spontaneous we are not worthy moment if one of the pipers raised you up on shoulders, took you round the crowd Angus Young style as you let rip some trad tune while the band on stage riffed their way through Back In Black.

@CEB yes to just using a vocal mic. Quite surprised at how loud this thing is. Cant see an issue the onstage volume wont be loud enough.

@BloodyMary making a cultural assumption about you given the location youve listed. Played my lead bits for a couple of moderate tempo folk things Heiland Harry (Burns thing) and Braw Sailing (a pleasant maritime ditty). They wanted a run over Gypsy Laddio. Eleven verses and they asked if I could do a Gypsy sounding thing after about eight to break it up. Said theyd up the tempo. I gave them a few chords that Id solo over and tapped the tempo I wanted it to change to on my new(ish) logarhythm and hit them with my best Rhythm and Jews impression uptempo, note heavy, bonkers Klezmatics stuff that I had filed away from college days when I had our big band attempt a tune. Bit shocked. They stopped and ummed and aahed for a few minutes then told me it was too European. I asked which Gypsies they had in mind. Not like that, they said and so I tried a bit of noodling round some Django chords for them. They asked where that was from I blagged it and said some Romany caravan that passed through Naples once. Turns it they want Scottish Gypsy music. I asked if that was people who lived in caravans down the road in Crieff. Yes they said, or just north of Dunkeld.

@MonksDream off to read up on the Suzuki. Ill post if I get one (or the Hammond).

@bournifuse + longfuse regarding mics watched the clip posted. Im playing this side on, not with the keys on top. The mouthpiece (the small one, not that tube that looks a bit medical itll worry the old ones that theyre about to have some sort of procedure) Ive tried it angled so the melodica is up like a trumpet and also flipped round so its more like a sax. Are you guys playing it like him keys on top?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Anyone tried playing a melodica through FX pedals? Any tips?

I have the MyLodica from Sound Electra/Melodicas.com and use it through a few pedals in recordings. They sound great with some overdrive and reverb or delay. Sometimes wah too. Check out clips of Medeski for how it sounds distorted - it's similar to a blues harp sound.

I have yet to figure out a good way to use this setup live (in a loudish rock setting) as all the gain from the overdrive quickly leads to feedback problems. I think part of the problem is that the melodica is not all that loud acoustically (again, relative to a decently loud rock group) and it takes a lot of gain to get it up to where it is distorting nicely.

I'd be curious about any mic suggestions for live use. I think a standard SM58 sounds fine in the studio, but live through fx I had the above-mentioned feedback issues. I bought a little contact piezo mic but haven't rigged it up yet. Based on the similarity of sound I was thinking that a harmonica mic might be a good fit too...

Any other thoughts on what I could do to use this setup live would also be appreciated :)

I bought a little contact piezo mic but haven't rigged it up yet.

I've been down the piezo route and I wouldn't recommend it. All you hear are clunks (mechanical vibration) every time you depress keys. By moving the mic(s) around (afix with masking tape before committing to a final 'resting place'), you can usually find a sweet spot where clunk is minimised. Also, EQ can help filter it out. Not ideal though.

I learned recently that my little Suzuki soprano has nickel coated reeds. So, in theory I could use a string of guitar pickups (the bar type) to amplify the sound without feedback. Would be expensive and heavy, though. There's also that company that make electro-magnetic pickups for pianos. They're in strip form. One of those might work...but probably not with a hohner (tone is different, so I doubt they're nickel coated). Also an expensive option.

I do agree though, distortion and delay sounds great with them.

@stillgigging: I'm from the 'take enough shots and at least one will turn out OK' school of photography (I got lucky!)

Archived