Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joined the melodica club.

stillplaying

I have this great little melodica I got in Korea. Have no idea of the brand, though. I love playing the thing.

The only thing about Melodicas is that the place where you blow is on the left side, of course because of playing logistics. But the Korean one I have has a hose attachment as well. It would be great if they had an alternate valve on the other side to attach the hose to because if you play the melodica with two hands - and I've placed it on a table and done so! - the problem is with the airstream coming from below, the harder you blow, the left hand chords will always overpower the right hand melody in two handed playing because of the majority of the airflow hitting the lower part first.

I started playing accordion 2 years ago after wanting to play one for life and it was instant love!

It was a blast to play an instrument that was so expressive, I could walk around with it, needed no power or amplification! It felt great to feel the instrument resonating against my chest! Also it really helped, when practicing, to be able to walk from my kitchen to my living room, look out the front window and walk back! Anyone who plays guitar, a wind instrument, etc - you have no idea how good you have it! =)

Regards,

Frank

www.frankperri.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Melodica and have owned one for years, but when I saw Mr Fagen play his recently in concert I was disappointed. It sounded like a whiney nasal toy. All that technology and someone couldn't give him more presence in the mix? I do love the sound of his synth patch that is clearly based on the melodica tone, but with pitch bend and more attitude.

re contact pickups; I tried one but the mechanical noise from key-clack and handling was bad.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

I usually play my Hohner HM36 without any mouthpiece at all. I feel like the shorter the air travels before reaching the reeds, the more expressive the instrument can be.

I tried this last week. I liked it. The only downside was it became easier to stick a reed on the bass end of the melodica.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I usually play my Hohner HM36 without any mouthpiece at all. I feel like the shorter the air travels before reaching the reeds, the more expressive the instrument can be.

I tried this last week. I liked it. The only downside was it became easier to stick a reed on the bass end of the melodica.

Try it on the Suzuki Pro37. The reason I bought it is because it's virtually impossible to stick a reed on it!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived