Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Natural Peanut Butter

Synthoid

Just curious if we have many among us who enjoy natural peanut butter--the kind you mix before eating--and not the sweetened stuff with extra ingredients that finds its way into kid's sandwiches.

Anyway, my wife and I have been buying Smucker's for years, but the store was sold out last time so I bought some Crazy Richard's, which was quite different... no added salt, and very runny. After I mixed up the jar I could have easily drunk the stuff.

My sister-in-law used to buy peanut butter from a local Amish store and spoke highly of it, but after hearing they scooped it from a large bin into plastic containers for sale, I started wondering about flies and other critters finding their way into that mess.

Other recommendations?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other nut butters I've tried have been good. The ones I've tried were all natural as well.

Even Costco carries all-natural peanut butter now, I think.

How do you mix it? Some of these can be pretty stiff when you first open them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I often make my own. About every 4-6 weeks our local grocery will run the unsalted peanuts on special. I buy a bunch to keep stocked up.

Dump a jar into the food processor, add peanut oil to taste while it's processing.

Here's the gooood part. After I dip out most of the peanut butter, leaving about a tablespoon in the processor, I add a banana, some cocoa, and a drizzle of honey. Process that! Chocolate/peanut/banana pudding. Yum.

I often make my own. About every 4-6 weeks our local grocery will run the unsalted peanuts on special. I buy a bunch to keep stocked up.

I'm sure home-made PB is delicious, however, my wife would probably be upset with me if I didn't get the blender cleaned out properly (no food processor here).

Kind of a weird off-topic for a keyboard forum, given what peanut butter would do to the innards of a keyboard if it dripped. :-)

I've been eating all natural unsalted crunchy peanut butter since I was in high school. I just take it for granted anymore, and there are so many brands. None of them seem to differ in fat content or listed nutrients.

Some are organic; others are not. I have read that peanuts are one of the foods that benefit most from switching to organic, but I balance the extra expense by rotating between organic and non-organic.

There is a taste difference for sure, as different types/varieties or sources are used for the peanuts. I like variety, so I deliberately rotate brands. They're all good.

The cheapest that I usually find is Adams (several varieties, and they're a division of Smuckers). Our local "permanent farmer's market" called Berkeley Bowl also makes their own, which is usually cheaper than most other organic brands.

I will no longer buy the Trader Joe's nut butters as it is almost impossible to scrape the last of it from the plastic jars -- I will stick to glass from now on. I can get almost two week's worth of sandwiches out of a seemingly depleted jar!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Back in the early 80's, thanks to the excellent and well-researched nutritional information in Laurel's Kitchen cookbook, I dropped jelly/jam/preserves from my diet and switched to combining peanut butter with nut and seed butters (on the other slice) for a complete protein (not to mention deliciousness).

The best combinations are Sunflower Butter and true Sesame Butter (NOT Tahini, which is mostly fat). Next best are nut butters, such as Almond, Cashew, Walnut, Pecan, Macadamia, Brazil Nut, etc. Delicious, and full of anti-oxidants, but fattier than seed butters. Again, it's good to balance the choices for the most variety and the healthiest overall regimen.

About ten years ago, Sunflower and Sesame Butter suddenly disappeared from the shelves. I had made my own a few times, but they're much harder to get to the right consistency with home equipment than nut butters, without adding oil. The commercial brands don't need to add oil to achieve good results, so I stopped bothering. Thus I was upset when they became unavailable.

This country is very faddish, and what is out of fashion sometimes comes back ten years later. This has been the case for Sunflower Butter, and my health has improved now that I can bias primarily towards seed butters vs. nut butters at lunch (not that my health was ever bad per se).

Sunflower Butter is an acquired taste (it can be a bit musky), and I find it is more sensitive to which bread is used. I especially like it on rye-based breads and any of those walnut-cranberry combinations.

Sesame Butter still has not returned -- don't believe what you see from Wholefoods as they mislabel Tahini as Sesame Butter. Tahini tastes great but is a dessert food. They strip the hull to make it. Sesame Butter is from the whole sesame seed, low in fat and much healthier. Also, in my view, tastier.

Alas, the only sources for true Sesame Butter anymore are Turkish and Israeli imports, and we don't have much of that on the west coast. I find it when visiting family in Boston, but am quite aware it will be confiscated when going through the security gate at the airport, so don't bother.

I am hoping now that Sunflower Butter has firmly reasserted its place in the market, that true Sesame Butter will return as well.

Sometimes I find Pumpkin Seed Butter, which is also great and healthy as any seed butter. But usually you instead see "Pumpkin Butter", which is more like "Apple Butter" and in the "sweets" category along with jams and jellies.

I tried Hemp Seed Butter once and nearly gagged. I have an iron stomach and will not allow food to go to waste, but made a rare exception and threw it out. I'll save hemp for clothing and sheets -- I don't consider it a digestible food source.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

How do you mix it? Some of these can be pretty stiff when you first open them.

I just use a butter knife, slowly and carefully, as I've been baptized with oil on occasion. The stuff always seems to mix better in the summer.

Back in the early 80's, thanks to the excellent and well-researched nutritional information in Laurel's Kitchen cookbook, I dropped jelly/jam/preserves from my diet and switched to combining peanut butter with nut and seed butters (on the other slice) for a complete protein (not to mention deliciousness).

The best combinations are Sunflower Butter and true Sesame Butter (NOT Tahini, which is mostly fat). Next best are nut butters, such as Almond, Cashew, Walnut, Pecan, Macadamia, Brazil Nut, etc. Delicious, and full of anti-oxidants, but fattier than seed butters. Again, it's good to balance the choices for the most variety and the healthiest overall regimen.

About ten years ago, Sunflower and Sesame Butter suddenly disappeared from the shelves. I had made my own a few times, but they're much harder to get to the right consistency with home equipment than nut butters, without adding oil. The commercial brands don't need to add oil to achieve good results, so I stopped bothering. Thus I was upset when they became unavailable.

This country is very faddish, and what is out of fashion sometimes comes back ten years later. This has been the case for Sunflower Butter, and my health has improved now that I can bias primarily towards seed butters vs. nut butters at lunch (not that my health was ever bad per se).

Sunflower Butter is an acquired taste (it can be a bit musky), and I find it is more sensitive to which bread is used. I especially like it on rye-based breads and any of those walnut-cranberry combinations.

Sesame Butter still has not returned -- don't believe what you see from Wholefoods as they mislabel Tahini as Sesame Butter. Tahini tastes great but is a dessert food. They strip the hull to make it. Sesame Butter is from the whole sesame seed, low in fat and much healthier. Also, in my view, tastier.

Alas, the only sources for true Sesame Butter anymore are Turkish and Israeli imports, and we don't have much of that on the west coast. I find it when visiting family in Boston, but am quite aware it will be confiscated when going through the security gate at the airport, so don't bother.

I am hoping now that Sunflower Butter has firmly reasserted its place in the market, that true Sesame Butter will return as well.

Sometimes I find Pumpkin Seed Butter, which is also great and healthy as any seed butter. But usually you instead see "Pumpkin Butter", which is more like "Apple Butter" and in the "sweets" category along with jams and jellies.

I tried Hemp Seed Butter once and nearly gagged. I have an iron stomach and will not allow food to go to waste, but made a rare exception and threw it out. I'll save hemp for clothing and sheets -- I don't consider it a digestible food source.

People from the east bay (Berkeley, etc) really do talk like this.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Our local food co-op has a pair of machines that make fresh peanut and almond butter. It's a grinder with a bin of nuts on top (sounds like some bands I've been in), you put an empty jar underneath, throw a switch and it spits out just about the best peanut butter I've ever had.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Actually, I was in Bloomington IN at the time I was introduced to this regimen, working part time at the still-in-business Bloomingfoods food co-op, which had cedar floors that enhanced the "earthiness" and wonderful smells of the bulk bin section.

I never bought stuff in jars back then when it came to nut butters and the like; they had huge tubs that you served yourself from and then weighed and priced it on the honour system.

I imagine much of that rustic approach has gone the way of the dodo bird due to fears about tainting food, etc.

Archived