Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Farfisa 222 for $650 on Craigslist, worth it?

scottasin

I can do you one better: on Monday, I found a very very clean Gibson combo organ (g101, except it was orange, and not whatever color that blue/green/pus is) with matching amp at a guitar store. The lid was on, and he had 4 mini Marshall replicas on top of the lid.

I asked can I lift the lid?

SURE! Pull the replicas off, and it was clean inside.

How much?

We dont have the volume pedal, but we like it as a showpiece. (yea, with the lid closed and the little Marshals on it)

Okay, so how much?

$6000.00. (wow, if only it had the volume pedal.)

Here, let me help you close the lid.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Hey all you younger guys note that we played all that older stuff back in the day because we had to. That is all there was. :laugh:

6 grand is a lot of nostaglia.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

LOL! Hey all you younger guys note that we played all that older stuff back in the day because we had too. That is all there was. :laugh:

6 grand is a lot of nostaglia.

To paraphrase David St. Hubbins: that's a little too fucking much nostalgia, innit?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

$1200 was a lot of money in 1970. I wonder if that is more than a new Kronos in inflation adjusted dollars. Dad bought a new Ford LTD in 1974 for $4000.

According to The U.S. Inflation Calculator:

Inflation Calculator

If in 1970

I purchased an item for $1200

then in 2011

that same item would cost: $7,017.19

Rate of inflation change: 484.8%

Some of the early 70's Farfisa's had a cool early version of "pitch bend" as a pedal called "Slalom", and could go up or down 2 octaves I think. John Paul Jones used one of these for "Dancing Days." I had a Farfisa Matador for a while, but aside from this cool effect and the cool repeating percussion effect, the overall tone was crap. Love my Wurlitzer 7300 and my Doric: classic combo tones at not earth shattering prices.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

So much for the "Works Great" part of the ad, eh?

Sure, $650 for a nonworking unit . . . what a dea!! Did he have a $900 Fender Squire Stratocaster that was "highly customized" to go with it!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I purchased my 1975 CDX Moog organ in 2006 for $150. It lit up, but made no sound. I took it apart and found a blown fuse, soldered in place and hidden in the power supply. Replaced the fuse and it works great.

My 1965 Elka Panther organ has been a challenge. Lots of cold solder joints, bad capacitors and resistors. It was my first portable organ, and I was glad to find another one in 2010. The mid 60s organs have that classic garage tone.

Duane

Korg PA4x76 arranger, 1976 Yamaha CP-70 electric piano, MidiPlus X6 MIDI USB controller, Turbosound ip500 Tower Speaker System

I'm running into the same thing. Inquired about something on craigslist, get an email back with a phone number. Call the guy, ask if everything works, "Oh yeah, it all works great." Get a little history on it, set up to go see it this afternoon.

Guy emails me last night. "I just wanted to let you know I plugged it in today and it's not sounding right. I haven't turned it on in years." Uh.... oooookaaayyy.

I'm still going to go look at it because I might be able to get it for cheap and fix it. But $650 for a non-working combo organ is insane. As is the price my guy is asking for this particular unit (to be revealed if I buy it!) if it isn't working fully.

Hey guys, wanted to share some farfisa heaven with you :)

This one is VIP600

http://i.imgur.com/X0shT.jpg

inside chaos

http://i.imgur.com/QNcgJ.jpg

I also have Fast4 in beautiful condition but no pics :(

I just love those instruments and their sound. I run vip600 through a leslie and it sound great.

Rhodes MarkI Stage, Nord Stage 2 73SW, Moog SUB37, Elektron Analog Keys

Based on the comments above - I realize I'm probably alone in my opinion on this one. I fully understand sporting wood over a sweet Hammond. But a Farfisa? Really?

I was stationed in Germany when I joined my first band ever. We used gear from the Army's Recreation center - including an RMI electric piano and a Farfisa Combo organ. I didn't like them then, and my appreciation for the sounds they made haven't gotten better with age.

Spend several hundred to have a 40 year old "original" at my fingertips? Not a chance! I'm more than happy to pull up the "Cheezy Organ" patch for the couple of tunes I do that used that sound originally.

Just sayin'

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I'm running into the same thing. Inquired about something on craigslist, get an email back with a phone number. Call the guy, ask if everything works, "Oh yeah, it all works great." Get a little history on it, set up to go see it this afternoon.

Guy emails me last night. "I just wanted to let you know I plugged it in today and it's not sounding right. I haven't turned it on in years." Uh.... oooookaaayyy.

I'm still going to go look at it because I might be able to get it for cheap and fix it. But $650 for a non-working combo organ is insane. As is the price my guy is asking for this particular unit (to be revealed if I buy it!) if it isn't working fully.

Well the guy seemed really surprised and disappointed it didn't work, he said he had used it a few days before and it worked fine, and I really do believe him, so thats rough.
Based on the comments above - I realize I'm probably alone in my opinion on this one. I fully understand sporting wood over a sweet Hammond. But a Farfisa? Really?

I was stationed in Germany when I joined my first band ever. We used gear from the Army's Recreation center - including an RMI electric piano and a Farfisa Combo organ. I didn't like them then, and my appreciation for the sounds they made haven't gotten better with age.

Spend several hundred to have a 40 year old "original" at my fingertips? Not a chance! I'm more than happy to pull up the "Cheezy Organ" patch for the couple of tunes I do that used that sound originally.

Just sayin'

I already have a Nord Electro for my Hammond sounds, but, basically, I'm looking for anything I can acquire to give my rig more unique sounds that you don't hear that often, and having weird vintage instruments also just looks cooler on stage than 2 modern keyboards. My synth sort of fits that description, it doesn't really sound like any other synth I've heard and it doesn't really work the same way either, since its paraphonic. I just like being able to bring something unique sonically when today everyone is using the same old replications of the same instruments.

Of course, I'm a young wippersnapper whos not as tired of lugging around a bunch of crap as you guys, and I'm jealous of all the cool old instruments you talk about using back in the day.

I would pick one of these combo's up if you can, even though one man's 'cool' board can be seen as junk by an other :rolleyes: . IMO, ones gear is in the eye of the beholder, so be different and proud that you can own a piece of vintage history :thu:.

My world: www.chriselkins.ca

Roland D-70/SC-55, Kawai K5000s, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Yamaha MO8, Yamaha SY-99, Technics SX-U90P 'Pro90'

"I've heard a lot worse!"

Spend several hundred to have a 40 year old "original" at my fingertips? Not a chance!

I bought vip600 for 110e and fast4 for 180e :D

YC-45d? I start drooling every time I see it :)

Rhodes MarkI Stage, Nord Stage 2 73SW, Moog SUB37, Elektron Analog Keys

• 3 months later...

Just some FYI stuff:

I worked in a music repair shop in Atlanta for a while and I can tell you that some of the transistors used in combo organs in the 60s and 70s are no longer made. We used to get Farfisas in for repair estimates and we would tear them down only to find out they weren't repairable unless you could supply the parts.

Sly played a Farfisa Professional at Woodstock:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/bkbkbk/Sly__The_Family_Stone05-Woodstock.jpg

I had one back in the 60's, pumped through a 122 that had an extra amp, jacked directly in with 1/4" plug. Sounded good through that Leslie.

Before that, a red Combo Compact, and before that, an Acetone TOP-3!

Kronos 61 | Prophet '08 | Blofeld Desktop

CPS SSv3 | QSC K12

Some of the early 70's Farfisa's had a cool early version of "pitch bend" as a pedal called "Slalom"

My first keyboard was a Farfisa VIP 255 with a slalom pedal. Running through my Leslie 760, i could get a pretty decent "Whiter shade of pale" - sound. But the edges on the keys was very sharp, so the glissandis was a pain for my fingers.

I'm a bit of a combonaut. I presently have a Vox Super Continental and a Farfisa Compact Duo. The Duo is probably my fave organ ever. The knee lever alone is wickedly cool and expressive.

I used to have a Farfisa Professional. It's a neat mid point between the Farfisa-ish sound and a (tenuously-speaking) Hammond-ish sound. If you have all the "sharps" tabs out, it can get a Farfisa/Vox type tone, but not quite like the compacts. Though, it is definitely more rugged and reliable than the Compacts I've played and worked with in the past. The self-collapsing stand, in my opinion, is pretty brilliantly designed, and I could get the organ up pretty quickly.

I used the Professional for one show. It sounded great. It also got a crazy reaction from the people there....tons of folk came up to me to ask about it. The grey naturals and white accidentals really make a visual impact. And the tilting stand, though pretentious, is very ergonomic.

However, the down side is that the Professional weighs in at about 70 lbs. and simply while carrying it around, I seriously aggravated my carpel tunnel. It was pretty tough to play accurately that night.

Despite all the praise, within a week I went out and a got an XK1. Though I've sold that too, I now use a Nord C! for all my organ needs.

As a dual manual nut, the only other analog combo I'd probably spring for would be that VIP 600 above. The videos I've heard are so freaky and I love the hell out of that gunmetal green.

Archived