Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Halloween - no gig, so do you entertain the neighborhood?

tarkus

A long tradition since my college days.

Every Halloween we'd break out the instruments and provide a soundtrack for the neighborhood.

I kept doing this 20 years later for the benefit of my friends and family and the various neighborhoods I lived in.

For a while I used to live near Springsteen. People would caravan to his house in droves.

It disappointed my neighbors because it was as if no one wanted to take their kids to the other houses.

It all started one year when Bruce decided to "play" a song or two for the trick or treaters...

This was for the parents, as most tiny kids wouldn't know who this guy was...

I stole halloween from Bruce one year.

It's amazing what a few hundred watts of amplified synth glory could impose on the distant unsuspecting ears...

I had a good set-list too.

I live in an apartment now and I probably won't be cranking it up like I used to. :(

- my word to KCers: you have a gift and the ability to scare the crap out of your neighborhood without relying on visual effects of any kind. Don't save it for the stage, Halloween is dull without a soundtrack.

Happy Halloween!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I could fire up the old PA, mic up my guitar amp, and crank out those lovely opening tritones from "Black Sabbath"...

It'd be great payback for all the nights my insensitive neighbors drove by at 1 am cranking that hip-hop shit on their car stereos... :evil:

A bunch of my friends and I play in my living room every Hallowe'en weekend - have been for many years. Luckily, most of the neighbors like rock. :thu:

As a matter of fact, we're doing that this evening. :):rawk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I've lost track of how many Hallowe'en gigs fell through because of the police...

I did once play the Castro Street Hallowe'en Party, before the city killed it due to to many incidents of violence over the years.

There were two stages, but my band unfortunately got the stage where each band only does two songs.

On that stage, due to the tight schedule, there was no alternative but to lip-sync a pre-recorded track (with quick setup of minimal gear as eye candy).

Even so, it was lots of fun, and safer than being in the audience. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As for being at home on Hallowe'en, I don't answer the door and turn out most of my lights. I put on my headphones and do music production work, completely oblivious to the disappointed teenage thugs who terrorize the neighbourhood on Hallowe'en.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Now that I have the Hammond in the living room, I'm thinking of dressing up and sitting at it to play Halloween-ish stuff when kids ring the doorbell to trick-or-treat. Might be fun!

Hells yes this is what I do, except with a DP's pipe organ patch. It IS fun.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I guess I could fire up the old PA, mic up my guitar amp, and crank out those lovely opening tritones from "Black Sabbath"...

It'd be great payback for all the nights my insensitive neighbors drove by at 1 am cranking that hip-hop shit on their car stereos... :evil:

+1 I'll do the same but with "Larks tongue in Aspic I" instead, there's something really scary about that intro. :evil:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I've got gigs tonight and tomorrow night with the MJ tribute band. Tomorrow is the big one, Bimbo's in SF, sold out yesterday. The enthusiasm for Thriller is kind of over the top. But hey, it's a good gig.

Monday night I'll play pianer in a couple of North Beach bars, for whatever adults still have some party spirit in them after the weekend. I'll be playing for North Beach denizens many of whom who present a scary picture even on their best nights. The places I play are a stoner's throw from City Lights Books, epicenter of the Beatnik movement.

I'll be dressed as Hunter S. Thompson (specifically, Johnny Depp from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas). Hunter was himself a famous San Francisco character. For awhile he called home the O'Farrell Brothers strip club in the Tenderloin, which is just a few blocks from my current rehearsal studio. Now let's see, what's in this bottle . . .

San Francisco LOVES halloween.

If I was feeling more neighborhoody, I could stay home, open my windows, and play piano. But my neighborhood is, for some reason, a big destination neighborhood for trick or treaters. Literally thousands of kids come through my street in the evening. You can watch as minivans pull up and 8 little bag-clutching goblins and witches deploy with military precision. I've never seen anything like it. One year, I decided I'd be "all in." I bought what I thought was a Sh*tload of candy . . . little russian treats from one of the many russian stores in the neighborhood, with fantastic colorful wrappings. Probably straight poison. Anyway, my supply lasted about 20 minutes. The majority of houses in the hood are dark for the night, like me, unable to keep up with the withering stream of kiddies, but the few houses that are open go all out. I've tried to calculate how much candy they must give out in 3-4 hours. It's obscene.

. . . a little halloween postcard from San Freakcisco.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

We go to a neighbor's place for Halloween, they always have a party, and around 1000 trick or treaters. They count them every year. I don't know where these kids come from.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have my Rodgers three manual drawknob organ in the front room. It has four 100 watt amps, one for each keyboard and one for the pedals. Each of the three keyboard channel cabs has 12 6x9s and a bullet JBL horn. The sub for the pedals is a double 15 folded horn that's bigger than a fridge. So its 400 watts and 41 speakers in total. You can hear it around the corner. The porch light totally rattles when you play the pedals, so it will sound nice at the door for Halloween. The set list for the evening includes of course Bachs' Toccata and Fugue in d minor, also Bach 'Come Sweet Death', Liszt Prelude and Fugue on 'BACH' and the Boelmann Toccata from Suite Gothic.

E.M. Skinner, Casavant, Schlicker, Hradetzky, Dobson, Schoenstein, Abbott & Sieker, Rieger.

Builder of tracker action and electro-pneumatic organs, and a builder of the largest church pipe organ in the world.

Absolutely! I am putting on My wife's Afro wig, slipping into my purple jump suit, placing a gap between my two front teeth, and playing and singing Billy Preston hits on my B3 in my living room ...

Beats cranking up the reverb and blasting away the neighborhood with diminished chords..... Which I have done as well....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

A long tradition since my college days.

Every Halloween we'd break out the instruments and provide a soundtrack for the neighborhood.

I kept doing this 20 years later for the benefit of my friends and family and the various neighborhoods I lived in.

For a while I used to live near Springsteen. People would caravan to his house in droves.

It disappointed my neighbors because it was as if no one wanted to take their kids to the other houses.

It all started one year when Bruce decided to "play" a song or two for the trick or treaters...

This was for the parents, as most tiny kids wouldn't know who this guy was...

I stole halloween from Bruce one year.

It's amazing what a few hundred watts of amplified synth glory could impose on the distant unsuspecting ears...

I had a good set-list too.

I live in an apartment now and I probably won't be cranking it up like I used to. :(

- my word to KCers: you have a gift and the ability to scare the crap out of your neighborhood without relying on visual effects of any kind. Don't save it for the stage, Halloween is dull without a soundtrack.

Happy Halloween!

I have long been taking the keyboard and amp outside and playing for them as they walk up my driveway. Some of that is just the thunder and rain and screams and footsteps and heart beat and creaky door opening, etc. I will then though play recognizable bits from the following songs among others (with the appropriate sounds of course):

Highway to Hell by AC/DC

Jump by Van Halen

Final Countdown by Europe

Don't Stop Believin' by Journey

Takin' It To The Streets by The Doobie Brothers

Blue Collar Man by Styx

Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon

Layla (the guitar part) by Derek and the Dominoes

Another One Bites The Dust by Queen

Dream On by Aerosmith

Saturday In The Park by Chicago

Use Me by Bill Withers

Superstition by Stevie Wonder

Axel F by Harold Faltermeyer

Winnie The Pooh - when some little kid in a Winnie The Pooh costume comes walking up

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'm putting together my song list for solo piano gigs tonight. Some of these are more appropriate than others. Of course, a big criteria is that it has to work for solo piano (no vocals).

When You're Strange

Behind Blue Eyes

Dead Man Blues (Jelly Roll Morton)

Touro Infirmary

St. Louis Blues (and any other minor blues I can think of)

The Fez

Josie

Dirty Work

Lithium

Truckin

In a Station

Lucy in the Sky

Ashes to Ashes

Life on Mars

Star Man (could go on with the Bowie but don't want to over do it)

Manic Depression

Burn Down the Mission

The Ocean

Ten Years Gone

Behind Blue Eyes

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

Everybody is Star

Love is a Battlefield

Killer Queen

Looking at Stepay's list Dream On is a good one. Maybe I can get that by tonight.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

We did werewolves of london. Having a gig on Halloween - Fail

Why a fail? We've had gigs on Halloween, they turn into some crazy-ass parties! Last year's was a riot! A couple people showed up at the bar as the yip-yip aliens from Sesame Street...I about died! :D

No gig for me tonight, though...I did have to run an errand but before I had to split I cranked up the X-66 in the entryway and rattled some trick-or-treaters... :D

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I used put my PA speakers in the windows and patch my 2600 up with some scary self-running noodle patch and just let er rip.

Lots of kids were afraid to even come up to the house! Those that were brave enough got blasted with dry ice fog and the voice of satan aksing them what they wanted, courtesy of Eventide and a Space Echo.

Those that braved that and didn't run away were usually rewarded pretty well...

I don't do much these days. Lazy I guess. Also, what's up with all these stupid kids, some as old as 18, with NO costume?? And I feel like I still HAVE to give them something, or my car might not be in one piece in the morning!

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

I don't do much these days. Lazy I guess. Also, what's up with all these stupid kids, some as old as 18, with NO costume?? And I feel like I still HAVE to give them something, or my car might not be in one piece in the morning!

For real! There were some full on high school chicks at the door at times and I was taken aback (to say the least).

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

For real! There were some full on high school chicks at the door at times and I was taken aback (to say the least).

Yep. I'm not a fan of the high school kids trick or treating. The rule in our house is that 6th grade is the last year for it. My teenage daughter helps hand out candy and play scary sounds on the piano. My son just had his last Trick or Treat night last night. Next year he can help hand out candy.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

my entertainment is at our church's Trunk or Treat. Moog theremin thru various effects, Roland synth with pre-recorded Halloween songs (X-Files, Thriller, Munsters theme, Black Magic Woman, Fugue in D minor, as a few examples) and voice changer via effects units for the me and the kids that walk up to talk thru. Going on five years now, I think. I let the kids (and many parents) work the theremin, which is a very big hit!
Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

We did werewolves of london. Having a gig on Halloween - Fail

All the clubs around here celebrated Halloween (adult style) on Sat - leaving last night for the parents to be with their kids. That's the way it almost always is when Halloween falls on a weeknight (although I have done some club Halloweens on Thurs now that I think about it).

My gig was Sat. Just out of curiosity, how many forumites had a Halloween gig last night (Mon)?

My gig was Sat. Just out of curiosity, how many forumites had a Halloween gig last night (Mon)?

I didn't have a Halloween gig at all this year, but 2 of my bandmates had shows (in different bands) on both Saturday and Monday. I caught one set of each of their Monday shows, and both were surprisingly well-attended.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived