Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attention West Coast B3 people.. a repair guy!

I-missRichardTee

I am looking for a recommendation for a B3 repair guy.

I know of two here in San Diego.

So far, I'm still looking.

One guy wants $120 an hour to come to the Organ.

The other has a "funny" rep.

If anyone can recommend someone that THEY have had experience with, that would be helpful.

Thank you

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Use my guy, Bill Axman... Alltek Organ. Have used him for years. Not only is he great, but is a great guy to talk with. Plus his prices are reasonable.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have had experience with one San Diego guy and it wasn't good.

He asked me to help him sell Hammond XK3's when they first came out and told me he would pay a cash commission. I referred a few people to him and when the organs sold, he changed his story and told me that the commission was good only toward the purchase of an XK3 for me....which I declined (it was VERY frustrating to be LIED to).

It's part of the reason why I have a very "Fishy" taste in my mouth for the XK3 (if some of you get my drift).

You will always wind up paying if you have a tech make a home service call - particularly in one of the higher real estate markets in the world. I have heard good things about Axman. Perhaps you could take it up to L.A.

Wondering if this is the real Mr. Sherinian and if he registered on that date to respond to this thread then decided not to.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If it is him, I should say Welcome to the forum!

(If it's not, depends on what the faker is up to. :cool:)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He asked me to help him sell Hammond XK3's when they first came out and told me he would pay a cash commission. I referred a few people to him and when the organs sold, he changed his story and told me that the commission was good only toward the purchase of an XK3 for me....which I declined (it was VERY frustrating to be LIED to).

It's part of the reason why I have a very "Fishy" taste in my mouth for the XK3 (if some of you get my drift).

I have heard good things about Axman. Perhaps you could take it up to L.A.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha By George, I've gotit, ha ha ha you are funny.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Use my guy, Bill Axman... Alltek Organ. Have used him for years. Not only is he great, but is a great guy to talk with. Plus his prices are reasonable.

I guess I gotta cart that A 100 to where exactly?

By the way, Mike Smoke ( I am not Polish and sadly cannot spell the rest of his name- great great guy ) from Trek Organ told me he recommended Bob Schleicher Electronic Instrument Service in OAKLAND was his choice.

So about 15 years ago, when still "certifiable", I DROVE 500+ miles to Oakland, Bob worked on it, I immediately turned my truck around and drove the OTHER 500+ miles back to San Diego.

I am not up for that trip again- no more pick up truck- and gas went WAY up, didn't it!

So Bill's office/ shop is where?

Ken Rich Sound Services is the only way to go

kenrichsounds.com

He is expensive, but the best. He did an incredible overhaul on my 62 B3 and Leslies.

Yes, I met Mr Rich... I liked him, his vibe. He was the real deal.

How expensive though???

OT but, in my business 100% gigging musician... no teaching, no "do you want a shake with your fries"?

In my binness , my pay for gigs has dropped precipitously

Do repair guys give 2 hoots about this; as reflected in their "new adjusted prices"??

Hi this is Derek. I think it is really cool that there is such a strong keyboard community on here.

Regarding Ken Rich, he has my B3 and Leslie in the shop now in addition to the FX loop that he put on the bottom manual the last visit, he will add a line out so I can plug directly into a Marshall stack, ala Jon Lord. He is also modifying a Trek 2 pedal so I can not only plug 2 Leslie 147s in simultaneously, but can A?B between the Leslies and the Marshall.

By the way, Colgate is going to also endorse me and put out a new ad campaign so heads up! :)

Cheers,

DS

Hi this is Derek. I think it is really cool that there is such a strong keyboard community on here.

[snip]

By the way, Colgate is going to also endorse me and put out a new ad campaign so heads up! :)

Cheers,

DS

http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-603.gif

Welcome to the forum! We have fun here, usually.

I serviced musical electronics for over 25 years. There is an asociation of techs, known as MITA International. If you vist their web site at: http://mitatechs.org/public_splash2 you will find a link to search for techs near you. There are several listed in San Diego, also an Authorized Hammond dealer in La Mesa.

I don't know any of these folk personally, but when I was in the organization, most of the members were well trained and provided good services.

Pricing is another matter. My policy was to charge half my hourly rate plus IRS mileage rates for travel. On the longer hauls, is the customer was not in a rush, I'd hold the call till I got at least another in the same general area, and be able to split the travel cost between clients. My service area was 100 mile radius of where I lived, plus 100 mile radius of a couple of other areas where I had dealer contacts and enough work to spend a few days each month in the area (and could justify the meals and lodging costs). Farthest I ever went to service a single organ was Chesapeake, VA to Myrtle Beach, SC; but the client was well aware of my charges beforehand, and agreed (it was a large Rodgers church organ). It was not unusual to spend a eleven hour day making two calls, each of which was less than an hour on site - just like a pro musician, I had to bring enough home during the average week to pay my bills, and I did not get rich doing it. ANY honest tech will be glad to go over their charges in some detail BEFORE the service call is booked - they don't want customer dissatisfaction any more than you want to overpay. Field service is expensive, but some things can't be done any other way. B3's CAN be hauled to the service center, but the aggravation and expense of doing so is not often justified.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Nice suggestion !

Nice playing to young man, very nice

You still like the real 58 better than the XK3 ... in all situations ( roadies aside ) ?

And does it make more sense to buy which suzuki?? SK XK3c or?

Bill Axman does house calls... No reason to cart your organ. He is the best. He is now based in the inland empire, so you don't have to cart anything to LA.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

You will always wind up paying if you have a tech make a home service call - particularly in one of the higher real estate markets in the world. I have heard good things about Axman. Perhaps you could take it up to L.A.

Isn't that akin to disliking GM because you once had a run-in with a sleazy car salesman? How does that reflect on the quality of the product in any way?

You guys should really watch talking about George Fish and other techs. It has nothing to do with the XK-3. Believe me the top techs are a small community and people know each other. It's real cut throat and word gets around. You'd be surprised who knows who in the US and even parts of Europe.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Isn't that akin to disliking GM because you once had a run-in with a sleazy car salesman? How does that reflect on the quality of the product in any way?

Your analogy escapes me.

Archived