Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'll see your Gibson raid and raise you...

p90jr

... one "no cash in 'second-hand' transactions."

This is what we're trying to get our heads around this week:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/money/personal-finance/louisiana-bans-cash-secondhand-transactions

A new Louisiana law, House bill 195, passed earlier this year says that those who buy or sell secondhand goods are prohibited from using cash.

State representative Rickey Hardy, who co-authored the bill, says: "They can give a check or a cashiers money order, or electronic (transfer)."

Rep. Hardy says the bill is targeted at criminals who steal anything from copper to televisions, and sell them for cash. He claims that having a paper trail will make it easier for law enforcement: "It's a mechanism to be used so the police department has something to go on and have a lead."

You're allowed one garage sale a month, non-profit entities like the Salvation Army are exempt, and so are pawn shops, where thieves usually traffic stolen goods (though Pawn Shops here are required to retain records, whenever we've found stolen guitars/etc. the pawn shops have mysteriously lost any record of how it came to be there).

So, if I want to buy a guitar from someone on Craigslist I have to pay with a check and the seller and I have to give each other all of our identification details... do pople hold things until the check clears?

The only people hurt by extreme laws are law-abiding citizens. Criminals don't live inside the law.

They just made daily life (especially in the rural communities where people rely on trading post-type shops) illegal, and made a million outlaws.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking there may be some Constitutional issues there too....they're telling U.S. citizens that they can't pay for goods within the boundaries of the U.S. with U.S. Currency? Really??? I'm betting that law doesn't stand.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

This note is legal tender for all debts , public and private

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

This note is legal tender for all debts , public and private

Exactly. It doesn't say "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private, unless some knucklehead in Louisana wants to change that".

It makes you wonder how these pinheads ever get elected or appointed to their offices...well, really it doesn't make me wonder. I lived there for many years....there's a lot of good things about Louisiana, food, music, fishing, tons of good stuff. But the politics ain't one of the good parts.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I think they'll go bankrupt trying to enforce this... it will be selectively enforced...

and that's the worry. Rather than applying it to the scrap yards which it seems intended to reign in (empty house/new construction site theft are a major problem here... people steal all of the wiring and piping and sheetrock off the walls) we're all afraid wacko office-holders will use it to antagonize people they have a problem with... For example, the state commissioner of Alcohol and Tabacco, who harassed a couple of clubs I play in relentlessly for a decade - making up reasons to revoke licenses and costing them ton$ of court fees to get the things heard and dismissed as nonsense, which almost ran them out of business - finally got booted for using his authority for all kinds of abuses against all kinds of people.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/inspector-general-releases-report-on-murphy-painter/

the state settled all of the civil lawsuits pending against him... I think he's running for Sheriff now... the nightmare continues...

So, yeah... "where's the receipt for that?" could be a new nightmare scenario. A few years ago there was some drug trafficking law that was vague regarding seizing things believed to be used in trafficking... this was the result:

http://www.ndsn.org/FEB97/LOUSIANA.html

It makes you wonder how these pinheads ever get elected or appointed to their offices..

Mhmmm! Ladies and Gents....may I introduce to you, Rickey Hardy (D) Louisiana....mhmmm!

[video:youtube]

:facepalm:

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

So, yeah... "where's the receipt for that?" could be a new nightmare scenario.

You can buy a book of blank reciepts at an office supply store, or write one on the back of some old piece of paper if you want. Not that I go along with this law. But some people will try anything to look responsible or respectable. Or athorative. I once got a ticket for not stopping for a stop sign, where there WAS no stop sign. When I pointed this out to the cop, he said, "Well, there USED to be one there" Yeah, I fought the ticket and the judge agreed with me. It can get frustrating.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

A new Louisiana law, House bill 195, passed earlier this year says that those who buy or sell secondhand goods are prohibited from using cash.

Screw them, I don't sell anything for checks or credit cards if they ain't got cash, they don't get the goods, I live in Arizona where the Government ain't that crazy (yet)

Well, dbm, I don't know which part of AZ you are talking about, but if know of a place in AZ that doesn't have typically crazy, bass-ackwards, inept/inane/incompetent/irritating borderline criminal government representation, please do tell the rest of us.

I'll just wait right here... ;)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

If this becomes popular, enforcement will be done via highly-publicized sting operations accompanied by hefty fines. Otherwise, it will be slowly accepted and that will lead into the abolition of cash for our own good.

Thank you politicians for saving us!!!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Actually, each State (as defined by the Union) has the absolute right to define that which is acceptable legal tender in their jurisdiction. This right has been upheld by the Supreme Court. The legal tender so defined must be based on the good, old-fashioned gold/silver standard, of course. Checks and MO, etc., meet that criteria.

This interpretation of the Constitution as codified in the US Code of Federal Regulations is the basis for allowing any merchandiser to decide which legal tender, e.g credit cards, debit cards, a thousand pennies, 500 nickles etc., etc, etc, that the said merchandiser will accept/deny as legal tender.

If you doubt these rights/restrictions just try buying something with 5000 pennies.

This particular definition of legal tender will become more broadly (not more narrowly) accepted/defined and much more vigorously enforced in the future. On-line retailing pretty much mandates that approach.

Stupid laws that don't stand up in court can STILL be used to harass people and even run them out of business!

Especially since sometimes we citizens don't want to be bothered with hiring attorneys and going to court, so we just pay off the thieves.....

Such as credit card companies, but here I digress!

wraub......what was that about?

Well, having lived in AZ for far too much of my life, I feel that I can speak to the political inadequacies, quasi-legal machinations, ridiculous decisions and outright BS that occurs in AZ, and was actually hopeful that DBM had a viable in-state alternative to same.

One can always hope. :D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived