Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie Motor problem

Outkaster

I was about to sell a Leslie today when I noticed the slow speed on the horn did not work. I think I may have a low motor problem so I took it out and plugged it in a extension cord and no dice. I am not sure but I think the pin is interfering with the tire but I am not sure? The top speed is fine. Have any of you experienced this problem. Thanks in advance.

http://i55.tinypic.com/fp5uzo.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/x2s5dw.jpg

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a good reference for Leslie motors:

http://hammondb3organ.net/leslie.php

First step might be to oil the motor bearings (see document).

2nd, Adjust the slow motor pin pressure on the fast motor tire.

The adjustment nuts are shown in the 3rd drawing. Too little pressure between the pin & tire will cause slow mode to stop. Too much pressure & the slow motor won't disengage in fast mode (fast mode won't run). You will need to loosen the nuts above & below the slow motor for this adjustment. This adjustment alters the angle of the slow motor mount relative to the fast motor; which in turn changes the pressure between slow motor pin & the fast motor tire. It's a tricky adjustment; a little goes a long way. 1/4 to 1/2 thread distance at a time...

3rd, the spring on the slow motor may need to be stretched (or better yet replaced). Motor rebuild kits are available fairly cheap & it isn't all that tough to rebuild them if you have mechanical inclination.

It does seem like the slow motor pin is hitting a little too low on the tire in slow mode; maybe slight fine adjustment on the slow motor mount angle will be enough to get it running. Patience is a helpful attribute when adjusting Leslie motors.

+1

And if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the second step, and Dgas is right: with this adjustment a little goes a long way. You'll want to pull the motor from the cabinet and then figure out a way to set it up where you can tinker with it. I drilled a hole near the edge of my work bench, and I line up one of the grommeted mounting points with this hole and drop a screwdriver through. It holds the motor level enough to do these adjustments.

I would first deliberately over-loosen the tension, so that the fast spindle completely misses the O-ring on the slow fast motor. When you energize the slow motor, the armature should immediately rise up and start rotating. When you remove power, it should drop down right away. The armature should be able to move up and down freely as power is applied and removed. If this isn't happening, you'll need to figure out what's not right. Most likely lubrication. As stated in the link, these motors do not require much oil at all.

Once you've determined that the fast motor armature is moving freely, start tinkering with the tension adjustment. You will want both the upper and lower nuts to be snug on the multilayer iron core thing, and once they're snug it's a little bit of a dance to loosen one and tighten the other to change the angle of how the armature touches the big o-ring. Too tight and the armature binds on the o-ring or won't release. Too loose and the fast motor won't have enough traction on the o-ring.

If the o-ring rubber is too hard, it may need to be replaced. I did have one motor that just would never take an adjustment, and once I replaced the o-ring, the adjustment becomes much more forgiving.

Yes, as OB Dave states, mounting the motor to a bench makes adjustments much easier. One note (seemingly obvious but I'll mention it for future search reference). The slow motor is below the fast motor on the horns; and above the fast motor on the lower rotor. For adjustment, orient the motors on the bench the same way as they are inside the cabinet. The slow motor springs are on opposite sides of the motor armature depending on horn or rotor motor position. Proper orientation is necessary for correct adjustment.

Thanks I did see that link. I am take this to Sal just because I really don't want to mess up something. I kind of have to see it done first. I appreciate all your guys help.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived