Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sold my pc3 - seller's remorse - when to let go?

Dglavko

I sold my Kurzweil PC3 tonight, and feel somewhat saddened in doing so... it wasn't getting enough use, what with a Nord S2-76 in the house, gas for lots of new gear on the horizon, and my inclinations of late towards real vintage keys (lots of fun with my new Clavinet D6).

Yet although I hadn't touched the PC3 much in recent weeks, I miss it already, and lament what could/would have been created... which leads me to this forum topic:

how do you let go and move on to a new piece of gear?

lack of use?

and how much of a loss/gain should trigger putting it up for sale?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually don't sell anything unless I've already replaced it ... or, if not a direct replacement, rendered it obsolete for my purposes through reconfiguring my setup and being satisfied live/recording/whatever without that piece of kit. Keep in mind I don't buy/sell gear all that often. It's usually a really easy and obvious choice for me.

There must've been something you own or plan on owning that either makes the PC3 redundant or "obsolete" in your setup. Maybe take stock of what that is that led you to sell in the first place to get over the remorse? If that doesn't work, rebuy?? [ducking for cover]

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Okay, I got both my dogs as puppies. They're part of my family but neither has a decent piano patch.

My answer to the OP's question is simple. I never sell anything. That creates other issues, but seller's remorse has never been one of them.

Puppies are nice, they just poop and pee all over everything- oh, and keep you awake at night. Sorry, can't offer any sympathy re: the sale of your PC3. I've owned mine for 4 months and continue to be amazed at its potential and how much more I have to learn about it.

Better keys will come along. :)

+1. I sold my PC3 a long time ago and have never missed it.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

The great thing about the PC3 was that it got better over time as Kurzweil released new OS updates. The Leslie sim for example was barely tolerable two years ago, but is now almost vent quality with the latest operating system.

I had mine for 2+ years and admittedly was still just getting to know it. I have tremendous respect for the company/product and may pick one up again one day.

But as much as I liked it, my studio was getting a bit too full. Plus it had become redundant for my current needs, was still fetching close to what I paid for, and was limiting space/finances for new acquisitions.

For me, this is where I draw the sell/keep line.

If I were a professional muso, I'd ask "is this gear still earning its keep (i.e. making money for me)?"

I'm not, so it's primarily about the "fun factor", what funds allow, and how much room I have!

I'm still enjoying the PC3's sounds, it's a workhorse for the limited gigging I do, and it's a great controller for the home studio.

-John

I make software noises.

You'll get over it. You already posted why you sold it, so move on. Any instrument that is not being used, except vintage instruments, are going to start declining in value as new, better sound instruments are released. It is far better to sell it when it will fetch a reasonable selling price. When you find other instruments you want to buy, that will give you more $$$ to get what you want in the future.

If you still want a PC3 a couple years down the road, you will be able to pick up a used one for far less than what you sold yours for today.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I sold my Kurzweil PC3 tonight, and feel somewhat saddened in doing so... it wasn't getting enough use, what with a Nord S2-76 in the house, gas for lots of new gear on the horizon, and my inclinations of late towards real vintage keys (lots of fun with my new Clavinet D6).

Yet although I hadn't touched the PC3 much in recent weeks, I miss it already, and lament what could/would have been created... which leads me to this forum topic:

how do you let go and move on to a new piece of gear?

lack of use?

and how much of a loss/gain should trigger putting it up for sale?

First of all your post is excellent and brings up key points I and others have faced.

1) Lack of use is an excellent reason to move on. In my case, the items were taking up more of my space than time. That was the key decision.

2) Really difficult to quantify how much of a loss or gain should motivate sale but here are a few points.

a) The future value of the item; suppose it breaks at some point? Then it is worth nothing.

b) Do the items you are selling pay for new gear?

I cleared out everything I owned for $1,200 (primarily a Triton Le, Motif 6, KOrg Sg Rack, P50M Module, Fatar Studio 900, 2 Yamaha Monitors, Tascam 8 Track Digital) and it covered exactly 50% of my new studio which is simpler which pretty much just a P95 (with stand, pedals), Roland Juno Gi, MXL V67G microphone, + 2 Mackie MR5 monitors.

As a result the new equipment was then around $1,200 in cash.

I did have a few dreams about the Triton LE (odd, because I liked the Korg rack more), but I felt as though I wasn't playing the older things as much after 13 years and needed to start fresh.

#1 was that the P95 replaces 4 items, and the Juno Gi replaces 2 (keyboard + multitrack)

The seller's remorse in all likelihood will probably decrease over time.

Here's a first - I strolled into my local store today flush with cash from the sale of a few craigslist sales including the pc3 - dabbled again on the sk1, numa organ, korgs, yamahas, many on sale to clear out stock, and then I saw her - used pc3 - just like the one I sold last week except.... $400 cheaper than I sold mine for!!!

What do you think I did? What with DWs recent promise of a new kurzweil expansion board coming soon....

I have my own strange ideas about buying used equipment. I usually don't buy anything used unless its not made anymore.

Buying another PC3 after just selling your own instrument for another PC3 that belonged to someone else? I don't think so. Ya $400 extra bucks is nice, but you sold the PC3 for a reason. Don't be a weenie, stick with your decision. :cop:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived