Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Computer help

Cygnus64

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you using for an audio card? Check to see if there are updated drivers. After that open up your card and make sure you have it set to 24-bit and not 16. Finally open Sonar and in preferences in the audio tab make sure you have 24-bit set as the default. How about sample rate? Has that changed? Check it and change if you need to. Let me know if that helps or not.

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

I have an M-Audio Firewire solo. I seem to have the latest drivers. Sonar has 24-bit grayed out. The buffer size thingy is grayed out too, I can't move it.

When I open the M-audio Firewire window, it doesn't have an option of 16-or 24 Bit. I've restarted it many times, no dice.

Thanks for the help.

Have you changed anything about your setup since the last time you successfully used your system? Removed/added drivers, software, or hardware?

Applied Windows or Sonar updates?

-John

Nope, not a thing. I use Sonar and Sibelius every day. I was playing a softsynth in Sonar and got this weird noise, the computer froze. Everything is working, I can open a 24-bit project in Sonar and it plays fine, it just says 16-bit at the bottom. Very odd.

I have th M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it's control panel from the system tray gives the option to check 16 bit or 24 bit, but it's only active when the interface is connected and turned on, otherwise it's greyed out.

Also, on the computer's control panel, under hardware and sound>manage audio devices...you should find the I/O in the playback and recording tabs. If you click one, you should be able to click properties. The Advanced tab allows you (on mine anyway) to choose between 16 bit and 24 bit.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have th M-Audio Fast Track Pro and it's control panel from the system tray gives the option to check 16 bit or 24 bit, but it's only active when the interface is connected and turned on, otherwise it's greyed out.

My interface is connected. I see nowhere in the M-Audio control panel to adjust bit rate, only sample rate and buffer size.

Also, on the computer's control panel, under hardware and sound>manage audio devices...you should find the I/O in the playback and recording tabs. If you click one, you should be able to click properties. The Advanced tab allows you (on mine anyway) to choose between 16 bit and 24 bit.

Did this. It says 24 bit.

I'm stumped. The interface is working, the light is on. Everything works. I wouldn't have even known about this had I not glanced down and seen 16-bit at the bottom of Sonar. It's as if the interface all of a sudden became a 16bit interface. I'm frightened, hold me. :)

I'm utterly flabbergasted that no one has said "you should have bought a Mac" yet!

sorry, I don't have any recommendations. Have you looked at the bios setup of the computer? Maybe something is turned off/on that shouldn't be?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

This is getting weirder. I opened a file in Wavepad Editor and did "Save as-24bit". It did, it says it's a 24 bit file. Every other file on my computer still says 16 bit, even though they are 24 bit. What the Deuce?

If you copy the file to another PC, what's the result there?

I make software noises.

I'm utterly flabbergasted that no one has said "you should have bought a Mac" yet!

Sonar is PC, baby! :laugh:

This morning, my M-audio control panel is not in the system tray. I can pull it up through Sonar.

Have you looked at the bios setup of the computer?

Yup, didn't notice anything. I ran diagnostics, looked at the device manager. Everything is fine, my onboard soundcard is disabled as it should be. All software is up to date. The only thing I've installed lately (2 months ago) is the Sibelius 7 demo, I haven't touched it in a month. I uninstalled it.

I uninstalled and re-installed my M-Audio driver. Didn't make a difference except the icon is no longer in the system tray.

I'm filled with a sense of vexation. :(

Don't think it didn't cross my mind. ;)

But

On my old iMac G5, I ran Audacity for a while. It used to change my bit rate without telling me. Suddenly, system sounds would stop working, and other weird audio oddities would happen. The only reliable way I could fix it would be to run GarageBand, which would reset the audio settings. It was a while before I figured out this fix. In fact, I hadn't associated the loss of system sounds to Audacity for a while, because it's not like I'm hearing system sounds like error beeps all the time. Once I realized it was Audacity, I stopped using it. I thought that program had quite a bit of... audacity to mess with my hardware like that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cygnus, Is the built-in sound card on your computer 16-bit? If it also runs 24-bit, I'd say try that with Sonar instead of the M-Audio Solo to see what happens. You need to determine if the problem is the M-Audio, Sonar, or your computer.

Another thing to try is the M-Audio with another computer if you have a friend with one that is compatible.

If you can set up another user account on your computer, do that and try Sonar and the Solo with that account.

Once you can isolate the problem, you can determine at least whose tech support you should be calling. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cygnus, Is the built-in sound card on your computer 16-bit? If it also runs 24-bit, I'd say try that with Sonar instead of the M-Audio Solo to see what happens. You need to determine if the problem is the M-Audio, Sonar, or your computer.

Tried this: disabled the M-Audio, enabled onboard Realtek card. It doesn't show up anywhere. Under "manage audio devices", there is nothing there, Sonar sees nothing.

Another thing to try is the M-Audio with another computer if you have a friend with one that is compatible.

I can do this tonite. The problem is that I'm working on something right now and today's my last free day for a while. Damn you, Murphy and your laws. :mad:

Pull the audio card, remove the drivers, uninstall Sonar. Reinstall audio card, reinstall Sonar. Every once in a while I get something catastrophic like this happen and instead of chasing my tail, I just pull, uninstall, and replace.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Pull the audio card, remove the drivers, uninstall Sonar. Reinstall audio card, reinstall Sonar. Every once in a while I get something catastrophic like this happen and instead of chasing my tail, I just pull, uninstall, and replace.

I'll probably try that. The problem is that files residing outside of Sonar have changed from 24bit to 16 bit. Since they are not in Sonar, why would Sonar effect that?

Did it. No dice. :(

I'll probably try that. The problem is that files residing outside of Sonar have changed from 24bit to 16 bit.

That's what is making me wonder if something is screwy with how Windows is reporting this information, hence the suggestion to take one of the "affected" files and copy to a different Windows machine, and see what it reports as the bit depth.

Sounds crazy... just trying to eliminate stuff.

-John

I make software noises.

I'll probably try that. The problem is that files residing outside of Sonar have changed from 24bit to 16 bit.

That's what is making me wonder if something is screwy with how Windows is reporting this information, hence the suggestion to take one of the "affected" files and copy to a different Windows machine, and see what it reports as the bit depth.

Sounds crazy... just trying to eliminate stuff.

-John

I'll definitely do this later. I'm not sure now, I have found quite a few files outside Sonar that say 32 bit, and I am able to export 24 and 32 bit files.

The only thing I'm 100% sure of is that Sonar says 16 bit. :confused: It works flawlessy, sounds just like it did, everything works, it opens 24 bit files. Very weird.

I've had it happen a couple times with internal sound cards. Once I only had to uninstall and then reinstall. The other time I had to pull the card, totally uninstall it, change sound sources in Sonar (I used ASIO4all), then inserted the card into a different slot and installed it from scratch. That time I was probably feeling the way you are right now. I don't know if that will do it, but at that time it was my last resort before formatting the computer and starting everything from scratch. Luckily it worked. It was like Sonar or Windows was not willing to overwrite the soundcard information as long as it was in that same slot and/or was still the primary sound source.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The other time I had to pull the card, totally uninstall it, change sound sources in Sonar (I used ASIO4all), then inserted the card into a different slot and installed it from scratch.

Had to do this, too. I hate these issues.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I've had it happen a couple times with internal sound cards. Once I only had to uninstall and then reinstall. The other time I had to pull the card, totally uninstall it, change sound sources in Sonar (I used ASIO4all), then inserted the card into a different slot and installed it from scratch. That time I was probably feeling the way you are right now. I don't know if that will do it, but at that time it was my last resort before formatting the computer and starting everything from scratch. Luckily it worked. It was like Sonar or Windows was not willing to overwrite the soundcard information as long as it was in that same slot and/or was still the primary sound source.

I only have one Firewire slot. I tried Asio4all, no luck.

I lost a really good track. :mad:

As for the cause, it could be that the registery crashed or got corrupted. This happens from time to time and can cause all your settings to go back to basic.

How does one go about checking/fixing this?

Do you do automatic registry backups? Can you roll your system back to the last backup? You'll lose anything you did since then, but you could save those files to a memory stick.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

As for the cause, it could be that the registery crashed or got corrupted. This happens from time to time and can cause all your settings to go back to basic.

How does one go about checking/fixing this?

Do you do automatic registry backups? Can you roll your system back to the last backup? You'll lose anything you did since then, but you could save those files to a memory stick.

Tried it, did system restore set to a week ago. Nope. :mad:

Archived