Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Computer help

Cygnus64

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're using Sonar 8 and above, I highly doubt it's Sonar's fault. It's been very stable for me and I use the music computer daily. When I push my hardware beyond reasonable limits, then it'll crash. After those crashes I'll have trouble with Windows seeing the MOTU Midi Express, but a reboot usually takes care of that.

This sounds so Windows/audio card/audio driver to me. Sorry I can't be of more help. You're almost to the point where I'd back up the drive, wipe it, and reinstall everything. Eew.

Couple of other thoughts: is there a manual uninstall procedure for the M-Audio drivers like there is for Tascam drivers? Getting rid of a Tascam audio driver is like picking crab lice out of your pubes.

Also, out of curiosity, what softsynth were you using, and was your system up to it?

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

If you're using Sonar 8 and above, I highly doubt it's Sonar's fault. It's been very stable for me and I use the music computer daily. When I push my hardware beyond reasonable limits, then it'll crash. After those crashes I'll have trouble with Windows seeing the MOTU Midi Express, but a reboot usually takes care of that.

This sounds so Windows/audio card/audio driver to me. Sorry I can't be of more help. You're almost to the point where I'd back up the drive, wipe it, and reinstall everything. Eew.

24 bit seems to work in Reaper, which I just downloaded. I can't make heads or tails of Reaper but I set it to 24 bit and it works.

I've been using Cakewalk since Pro Audio days, 8 indeed has been rock solid. I wasn't pushing it, I just started a project and had one vsti up.

Are there any settings in Sonar that would cause this? I've been pushing every combination known to man. If I use WDM drivers I can get the 24bit box ungrayed (but it still says 16 bit at the bottom).

Couple of other thoughts: is there a manual uninstall procedure for the M-Audio drivers like there is for Tascam drivers? Getting rid of a Tascam audio driver is like picking crab lice out of your pubes.

Also, out of curiosity, what softsynth were you using, and was your system up to it?

I will try to find a manual uninstall. I was using one instance of Dimension Pro, so it shouldn't be a big deal. My system is a dual-core 2.8ghz with 4 gigs of RAM.

Sounds to me like Sonar has reverted to a basic setup- 16 bit. Even if you set your card to 24 bit Sonar will remain at 16 bit until you go into the audio options and change it. Should be under Global options, Audio tab I believe...I'm using Sonar X1c and things have moved around a bit ;)

If your card has ASIO drivers I would recommend using them rather than the WDM drivers.

By the way, this same thing happened to me once and I could not figure it out for the life of me until I went into the audio tab of Sonar and changed from 16 bit to 24 bit there.

Oh, make sure you have everything updated- Sonar, Dimension Pro, Rapture, Beatscape, etc.

Good Luck,

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Sounds to me like Sonar has reverted to a basic setup- 16 bit. Even if you set your card to 24 bit Sonar will remain at 16 bit until you go into the audio options and change it.

Can't, it's grayed out. I never use WDM, I just tried it to see if it would un-gray it. It did, but it didn't change the 16-bit at the bottom. I've tried pretty much everything in Sonar, I've uninstalled and put it back etc. Can't figure it out. :(

Here's a long shot.... by any chance are you connected to a mixer digitally via (ADAT lightpipe, S/PDIF or AES/EBU)? If so, if the card is locking to the mixer, the mixer could be the culprit.

I would suspect that your files are still 24 bit but that your system (specifically your card) for some reason can't do 24bit anymore, so Sonar is opening in 16 bit. Any easy check on that theory would be to put a bunch of files on a thumb drive & try them on a different computer. If you don't have an extra one or someone close by with a DAW, you can send me a few files & I'll be happy to look at them.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Just pray it's not a dying motherboard or a hard drive going south. Strange things happen with bad motherboards and hard drives.

Everything else works fine. This is my internet computer too, are y u se ing any d opouts ith my t ping? Seems fine? :laugh:

Time to ditch the M-Audio piece.

Are you running MIDI via the M-Audio as well, Cygnus? If so, ksoper may be correct here.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Time to ditch the M-Audio piece.

Are you running MIDI via the M-Audio as well, Cygnus? If so, ksoper may be correct here.

No, I'm using USB midi, I only have one keyboard hooked up at the moment. Midi is fine, I can transmit and receive with my keyboard. It's the softsynths that are dropping out or acting strangely. Doesn't matter which ones I use, only a few notes here and there will sound. If I playback the same passage with a hardware synth it works fine.

Just pray it's not a dying motherboard or a hard drive going south. Strange things happen with bad motherboards and hard drives.

Everything else works fine. This is my internet computer too, are y u se ing any d opouts ith my t ping? Seems fine? :laugh:

When my old motherboard died, it first manifested itself in my DAW. Noise in the audio, it would play a bit then freeze. Restarting usually fixed it. It started getting worse and worse and started showing up in other applications. At one point, I really thought it was a registry issue and blamed Norton. I took it in to somebody who diagnosed the bad mobo by running a diagnostic. I replaced it myself. Maybe there are some system diagnostics out there you can run.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's the softsynths that are dropping out or acting strangely.

But are you routing the output of the softsynth to the M-Audio card or your computer's audio card?

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

It's the softsynths that are dropping out or acting strangely.

But are you routing the output of the softsynth to the M-Audio card or your computer's audio card?

The M-Audio. I've never used the onboard soundcard. The softsynths were working fine today then they just started acting up. I don't push them, I only had one instance up.

I'm really hoping it's the M-Audio and not the motherboard. :)

If it's any consolation, I've never had a mobo or ram go bad. I've had hard drives die often, and I've had multiple audio card/driver issues, but never mobo. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I've tried audio interfaces from Tascam and Lexicon in this price range for laptop use and have never had success. Are you near enough to a GC to buy an identical model and see what it does, then return it if necessary?

Maybe there are some system diagnostics out there you can run.

I ran the onboard "PC Doctor" diagnostics, everything passed. I have no idea if that's a good test or not.

I've tried audio interfaces from Tascam and Lexicon in this price range for laptop use and have never had success. Are you near enough to a GC to buy an identical model and see what it does, then return it if necessary?

I bought the M-Audio in 2005. :o Has been the most rock-solid piece of gear I've ever purchased. If/when I get another interface, I'll get something more fancypants with more inputs. It will be a while unfortunately as my summer gigs sucked, but hopefully in a month or two I can get something better.

Archived