Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for recommendations re: books and iPod Touch apps.

Cezar20

Books

-Music theory. Looking at getting Hal Leonards Pocket Music Theory but also would like something more comprehensive if possible.

-Transcribing. Looking at Hearing and Writing Music by Ron Gorow unless anyone else has other suggestions.

Apps

-I have Music Theory Pro, Read Rhythm and a few free apps. The things I would like to do with apps (obviously only to supplement and not replace real learning).

*Is there a Garage Band type app? I see Music Studio seems to be the highest rated.

*Transcribe/Notation apps. I have Pocket Score which seems OK but the sounds arent great. I just want a sketchpad type app.

*Ear training. Music Theory Pro is pretty decent but Im always open to suggestions.

*Rhythm Training.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re. music theory, I found "Edly's Music Theory For Practical People" by Ed Roseman really helpful. [For a newbie, anyway.]

I personally would love a recommendation for a book on "synths for beginners." I have the right kind of piano training, but am a basket case at learning how to make and use patches, and in general do things other than press the preset buttons on my keyboards.

I personally would love a recommendation for a book on "synths for beginners."
I think this opens the door for me to say that if you have a Mac and run Logic, I have a book coming out in a month or so that covers all the synths in Logic from the most basic to the most complex so you're constantly building more knowledge as you work your way though the book. Should be available as an iBook too....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I think this opens the door for me to say that if you have a Mac and run Logic, I have a book coming out in a month or so that covers all the synths in Logic from the most basic to the most complex so you're constantly building more knowledge as you work your way though the book. Should be available as an iBook too....

It definitely opens the door for you- it would be a marketing fail not to mention it. Sounds cool. I am a Mac guy but haven't done any Logic yet. Could be a good winter project... Thanks for the tip.

I have a book coming out in a month or so that covers all the synths in Logic from the most basic to the most complex so you're constantly building more knowledge as you work your way though the book. Should be available as an iBook too....

I look forward to reading this - do please give a shout when it's out!

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

Archived