Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

midi question

ArnoldLayne

I have a PC with a edirol UM-1 USB/Midi cable connected to my Ensoniq midi in. I have a midi cable from the midi out on the Ensoniq going to the midi in on my P08. I play the P08 from the Ensoniq almost exclusively, layering the different sounds on each board as needed. On some songs I play a midi track using cakewalk. Cakewalk will play the Ensoniq but I cannot get it to play thru the Ensoniq and play the P08 at the same time. Of course, if I change the midi out on the Ensoniq to midi thru on the Ensoniq into the P08 midi in - it works. Cakewalk plays both keyboards.

How can I get Cakewalk to play the P08 thru the Ensoniq without changing the midi connection between the two boards since this is all happening in a live situation?

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short answer: you can't.

As you have discovered, Midi Out does not normally merge what is coming from Midi In. That is what Midi Thru is for.

To do it all without repatching, you will need some kind of programmable midi box with multiple inputs and outputs, that can be switched on a per patch basis.

Then you would plug all the Midi outputs producing notes (ensoniq, PC) and all the midi inputs receiving notes (P08) into the box. You could also disconnect the ensoniq keyboard from its own engine using midi local off, and connect the input of the ensoniq to the midi switcher too, if you ever had the occasion to play the ensoniq from the computer.

Probably you could get by cheaper with a midi A/B switchbox, if somebody still makes such a thing.

Moe

---

There's a much simpler solution. Buy another UM-1, or replace it with a UM-2G :). Basically, connect both the Ensoniq and the P08 to the PC - not to each other. There are several easy and powerful ways of routing and manipulating Midi through software. As a bonus, you'll also get a *lot* more flexibility, for future needs...

Among software that can do routing - MidiYoke , Bidule and Cantabile come to mind. The first two are free, and so is the 'Lite' version of Cantabile. I'm not familiar with Cakewalk, but I'm guessing you might be able to do the routing within Cakewalk itself. Good luck!

EDIT: My personal recommendation - if you can't do the routing within Cakewalk, then purchase Cantabile Performer/Solo. It's an intuitive, all-in-one solution. You can trigger Midi/audio tracks from within it. And the learning curve is not steep at all :). If you really want to stick with Cakewalk (*and* can't do the routing within it), then any of the three will help with the routing. You have a lot of options to choose from... :thu:

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Could also buy a MIDI Solutions merge box. Plug the "out" and "thru" from the Ensoniq into the merge box ins, then out of the merge onto the P08.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Could also buy a MIDI Solutions merge box. Plug the "out" and "thru" from the Ensoniq into the merge box ins, then out of the merge onto the P08.

Actually, +1 to this. Simple and neat solution, in the short term. Ignore my above post - unless you want to take the opportunity to learn a powerful approach, which will payoff as your requirements change over time. To put this into perspective - the Merge Box is just one of more than a dozen different products on the Midi Solutions website. The functionality of (almost) all of them, is available for free, in the PC that you're already using in your gigs. Then again, there are times when a simpler, short-term solution is actually preferable... :).

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I have one question on the Midi Solutions Midi Merger product. If I connect both the midi out and thru from the Ensoniq to the two inputs, will the device receive power?

It almost looks like it may be looking for a USB/Midi input for IN1/Power.

Thanks again.

Think I found the answer...

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

Software is free and as simple as hooking a line up in the patch window. Also look at midiox

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I don't think software is goin to help him unless he has an additional MIDI out jack on his interface.

Ummmm... guess you missed the post above where another UM-1, or replacement with a UM-2G was recommended... :). All software suggestions assumed this.

Software is free and as simple as hooking a line up in the patch window. Also look at midiox

I do think it's a known devil-unknown angel situation. Here's a perfect anology:

You need to carry around a Swiss army knife for some purpose. Now you find that you need a small screwdriver, for some other purpose. You ask around, and people recommend the screwdriver that they use. Which is a very good one, except that the other users don't carry around a Swiss army-knife - unlike you. The army knife you carry around already has an equally good, if not better, screwdriver for your purpose. So now you carry around both the army knife and the screwdriver...! Why? Simply because you're not familiar with the Swiss army knife. :)

Food for thought...? I'm curious to hear opinions on this.

:snax:

EDIT: Oh, and the Swiss army knife is a big, heavy PITA to carry around. Now the analogy is perfect... ;)

I don't think software is goin to help him unless he has an additional MIDI out jack on his interface.

Ummmm... guess you missed the post above where another UM-1, or replacement with a UM-2G was recommended... :). All software suggestions assumed this.

I never assume.....as the saying goes.

I never assume.....as the saying goes.

Oops... poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was, 'all software suggestions follow from/are contingent upon this (recommendation of additional midi interface)'. My bad...! Hope this clarifies things - no assumption is involved.

Archived