Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New generation of hardware tone modules

e-keys

I know that as a general rule tone modules are on the way out, however, the "coming soon" musebox looks cool and reasonably priced ($1000). I would love for kurzweil to come up with a new module also. Who knows, with the economy being what it is, more manufacturers may decide to make their sounds available in this less expensive format.

Link to muse box...

http://www.museresearch.com/products/musebox.php

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish it would fit in a 19.5" rack. That looks like the sound source I need for my Kawais.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Cool. May represent a less risky option for those wanting a Receptor but hesitant to pull the trigger for a variety of issues....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

The Vapor Box.

It was announced in 12/08 and shown at NAMM in 1/09. I think thye were worried about the SM Pro Audio V-Machine thing which also turned into either A) a disappointment in the small configuration or B) a vapor V-Rack in the larger config.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/01/16/wnamm09-muse-announce-the-muse-box/

Open Labs introduced a souped version of the SoundSlate late last year.

https://www.openlabs.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=56&zenid=2jt0ddua641absljn97qqb6156

The next generation of tone modules will be apps running on the iPad.

I think so too... Hope to see some more pro options on the ipad to use it as sound module, although, the ones on garage band and a few others are a great sign that some good things are cooking.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

I so want this device if it delivers as promised but I don't want one from the first production run. I like that it will have ReValver as part of the unit for use with the Clavs and EPs. I wish it was going to be a 19.5" unit though.

But computer stuff worries me in general because software vendors do not support stuff very long. I don't know much about Receptor but the principle idea that worries me is I have electronic and electro mechnical keyboard instrument dating back to the 50's and they are still fine devices and give the correct musical context each preforms admirably to this day. (B-3, Farf, TX-7, D-50, Polysix, etc... )

I've owned a Vic-20, C64, TRS-80, a 8088, 286, a 386, 486DX2, a pentium III.... I forgot my Amiga! Those things are now pretty much useless. So much for the never obsolete software upgradable process. :laugh:

But computer stuff worries me in general because software vendors do not support stuff very long. I don't know much about Receptor but the principle idea that worries me is I have electronic and electro mechnical keyboard instrument dating back to the 50's and they are still fine devices and give the correct musical context each preforms admirably to this day. (B-3, Farf, TX-7, D-50, Polysix, etc... )

Yeah, but how many of those fit into a 19" rack? :snax:

Seriously, don't you think you're being just a tad unrealistic here? How many updates did you get for your TX7, D50 or PolySix? Any new OS updates on that Farfisa? How's the new piano expansion pack for the B3? :thu:

I'd suggest comparing apples to apples, not quonset huts. ;) Buy an instrument for what it does for you today, and be happy with it. If it improves with age, be ecstatic; if not, if it still does what you bought it for, that should suffice, no?

Otherwise, perhaps software just isn't for you. :thu:

You make a lot of sense. I guess when I hear Software I think Amiga .... which I thought was a cool machine at the time.

But if the MuseBox lives up to the propoganda it will be exactly what I need. They say Fall of 2011 at a Peavey dealer near you but who knows.

You will lose more on a Muse product as resale than on instruments. It's a different market.

Then again there are those with 5-year old Receptors with Komplete 4, Ivory, True Pianos, VB3, OPX, and Scarbee stuff that don't feel there's a compelling need to upgrade to Ivory II or NI Scarbee or Komplete 8 or the new OPX pro and will use it until it dies and think it sounds better than most workstations today.

I'd wait for next years wPads on Windows 8 if this is a discretionary purchase. $800 tablets will be running i5 quad cores and 4GB memory next summer as they transition to Intel's new line of chips.

You will lose more on a Muse product as resale than on instruments. It's a different market.

$800 tablets will be running i5 quad cores and 4GB memory next summer as they transition to Intel's new line of chips.

But the loss on the new consumer electronics as resale will be the same or more worst relation,- than on instruments.

You´ll get nothing back for software and their (pre-configurated) players.

A $800 tablet machine will be a throwaway product within 1-2 years.

A.C.

$800 tablets will be running i5 quad cores and 4GB memory next summer as they transition to Intel's new line of chips.

But the loss on the new consumer electronics as resale will be the same or more worst relation,- than on instruments.

You´ll get nothing back for software and their (pre-configurated) players.

A $800 tablet machine will be a throwaway product within 1-2 years.

A.C.

That was true. We are nearing the tipping point. Will a tablet depreciate more than a workstation over 5 years? As a percentage yes. Overall no. $800?

Keeping the software current is another thing. Even then an uprade from Komplete 4 to 8 (standard)is only $199. I expect to see this trend continue through the decade--just the opposite of 5 years ago when the expense of hardware after resale was much less than computer equivalents. Modeling and system on a chip will really bring costs down further.

I heard from my guy in Ft. Wayne. He says even though they are a Peavey dealer he will not be carrying the Musebox.

He does not sound very pleased with Muse Research products. Too bad, a 800MB piano sounds like it could be really cool. If it comes out this fall.

Archived