Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need songlist help for hoedown, please.

Ed Coury

Dear friends,

Could someone offer a list of tunes that would go over well at a 2011 hoedown? Perhaps, with an emphasis on those that would be easier for a band to learn in the shortest period of time ;-) FYI, male and female vocalists are available.

Thank you in advance!

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the little I know about hoedown parties, Steve, it would be a mix. The trouble is I'm NOT up to speed on the current hoedown-friendly tunes. And my knowledge of classics that would go over is limited.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Here is a couple:

[video:youtube]RlnbmZK7GxU

[video:youtube]iFCniNYZoFg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

What age group? Many modern country tunes are pretty rock-oriented and will work well for many:

Zac Brown Band, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett, Hank Williams Jr., Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, Brooks and Dunn, Big and Rich, Blake Shelton, Dierks Bentley, George Strait, Trace Adkins.and more.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

From the little I know about hoedown parties, Steve, it would be a mix. The trouble is I'm NOT up to speed on the current hoedown-friendly tunes. And my knowledge of classics that would go over is limited.

My first thoughts are that this would primarily be music that the crowd would dance to. It would include Country/Western and Americana tunes.

Do you know the age of the audience?

I am asking to see if you could look for tunes that included "audience participation"... something they know and/or something they could sing along to. Maybe borderline novelty songs.

Check you messages, Ed. I'll send you a link to a listing of songs I did with my band, "The Refried Beans".

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hoedowns and Square Dances was all the Dad played. They did stuff like Turkey in the Straw, Faded Love, Arkansas Traveler, ... traditional square dance and dancable blugrass tunes with some Hank Williams and Bob Wills thrown in but that was the 1950's and very early 60's. He quit playing when I was born.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

You should get clarification on this gig. Ask your contact person what they want. Will there be a "caller" for square dances? Or is it just hoedown-themed, and you're expected to just add to the atmosphere along with some haybales? Will there be linedancers who expect to hear the typical linedance songs?

Are you sure it's a hoedown, and not a hootenanny?

[video:youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WqoHyG-uIM

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived