Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes - "Fly From Here"

BP3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon Anderson's voice isn't near what it used to be (is he singing on it?), and I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done since Union. I stopped getting excite about new Yes albums after Talk.

The Ladder had some nice stuff. I'm looking forward to the new one.

I haven't really enjoyed anything they've done since Union.

Post-Union, I think The Ladder and Magnification had some nice stuff...

EDIT: Just listened to the clip. Ugh. Terribly ordinary.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Actually, I head Jon sing an acoustic set on XM radio this year and his voice is sublime! Believe me, he can sing better that the guy taking his place.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Sounds like Squire's typical AOR offerings, with Howe struggling to make an impression. Keyboards are fairly anonymous. David's accent is more to the fore and he sounds a lot less like Anderson than I remember from the live clips I've watched on YouTube. Overall, pretty flabby.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

he sounds a lot less like Anderson than I remember from the live clips

I'd guess when hired by Yes, he was asked to do his best to sound like Anderson, but now that this version of the band is doing "originals," they said he could use his own natural voice there.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Actually, I head Jon sing an acoustic set on XM radio this year and his voice is sublime! Believe me, he can sing better that the guy taking his place.

+1

Went to see him and Rick Wakeman here in Perth recently. His voice is intact.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

he sounds a lot less like Anderson than I remember from the live clips

I'd guess when hired by Yes, he was asked to do his best to sound like Anderson, but now that this version of the band is doing "originals," they said he could use his own natural voice there.

This is wise. :thu: There's only one Jon Anderson.

David's accent is more to the fore
I'm finding that a bit distracting.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

While this is an excerpt, Im curious enough to want to hear the whole record. I think DRAMA is a vastly underrated album for Yes, and I really liked the direction the band was going at that time. Im not saying this great, but Im not saying its awful. Id like to hear more.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

While this is an excerpt, Im curious enough to want to hear the whole record. I think DRAMA is a vastly underrated album for Yes, and I really liked the direction the band was going at that time. Im not saying this great, but Im not saying its awful. Id like to hear more.

I've listened to the track several times. I think it shows great potential for the album as a whole. I think it comes down to two camps: those that are expecting "Yes", and those who are expecting something else. I'm in the latter, I'm hoping for an album of well-crafted music from music vets. If it sounds like Yes or doesn't sound like Yes, that doesn't matter as long as it's good.

While this is an excerpt, Im curious enough to want to hear the whole record. I think DRAMA is a vastly underrated album for Yes, and I really liked the direction the band was going at that time.

Drama is actually one of my favorite Yes albums.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I've listened to the track several times. I think it shows great potential for the album as a whole. I think it comes down to two camps: those that are expecting "Yes", and those who are expecting something else. I'm in the latter, I'm hoping for an album of well-crafted music from music vets. If it sounds like Yes or doesn't sound like Yes, that doesn't matter as long as it's good.

My problem is it sounds like Yes Lite. Either go a different direction or stay true to form. I have no interest in an Adult Contempo version of the band.

I think it comes down to two camps: those that are expecting "Yes", and those who are expecting something else. I'm in the latter, I'm hoping for an album of well-crafted music from music vets. If it sounds like Yes or doesn't sound like Yes, that doesn't matter as long as it's good.

I think that's a fair point. At the time, 90120 did not sound like Yes... and certainly many Yes fans still don't like that era, but at least it was still musically interesting, whether you liked it or not. It didn't sounds like a million other things. My complaint about the new bit is that it isn't sufficiently musically interesting. Too many ordinary chord changes, too much straight rock-and-roll drumming. It has moments, but so much of it seems kind of generic. My hope is that, this was picked as the "single" in part *because* it was not as adventurous as what may lay elsewhere on the album.

p.s. -- I agree with those who say Drama was a strong album. I think it might be the best album they did subsequent to Topographic Oceans.

My problem is it sounds like Yes Lite. Either go a different direction or stay true to form. I have no interest in an Adult Contempo version of the band.

+1 Exactly my thoughts, it sounds like a bad and cheesy wannabe Yes cover band.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I think that's a fair point. At the time, 90120 did not sound like Yes... and certainly many Yes fans still don't like that era, but at least it was still musically interesting, whether you liked it or not. It didn't sounds like a million other things. My complaint about the new bit is that it isn't sufficiently musically interesting. Too many ordinary chord changes, too much straight rock-and-roll drumming. It has moments, but so much of it seems kind of generic. My hope is that, this was picked as the "single" in part *because* it was not as adventurous as what may lay elsewhere on the album.

p.s. -- I agree with those who say Drama was a strong album. I think it might be the best album they did subsequent to Topographic Oceans.

I totally agree... Although 90120 was different, it was extremely interesting musically. I still enjoy listening to those songs.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Good to see some Drama love here. Drama is by far the most underrated Yes album, in my opinion. The playing on it is killer and it is way harder edged than a lot of their previous albums. It is a total springboard to 90125. I think it was a shot in the arm after duds like Tormato.

I like this new cut because it is very Drama related. Obviously, Trevor Horn has a lot to do with this. In fact, I think the new singer sounds more like Horn than Anderson on this cut.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Well, this italian friend got the record somehow and uploaded to his online radio, so i've been listening for the last 40 min. Seriously? this is not Yes, not the one i know of, that is. I won't change my opinion, this album sounds like a cheesy Yes cover band. And that voice...oh, that voice irritates me.
"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I like this new cut because it is very Drama related.

Personnel aside, I don't hear anything in there that one would immediately connect to Drama. If anything, this reminds me more of Asia.

Most of the recent Yes material I've heard suffers in the same way as this "new" track does. It no longer has the pomp, risk-taking arrogance and sheer invention of the 70s line-ups, but neither does it have the memorable tunes and commercial snap of the Rabin era.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

There's a 1 minute sample from each track here.

http://totallyfuzzy.blogspot.com/2011/06/yes-fly-from-here-new-album-streams.html

YouTube's got some full tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmAXWWE0oso

It's not awful. From a sonic standpoint I think the track above will sound great on a real system. 'Ride the Tiger' as the initial chorus...well....the middle section is much better and yes formulaic in a kinda nice way...better than the single...

this years Tormato...

There's a 1 minute sample from each track here..

Cool. Some nice stuff there that makes me more optimistic.

Going for the One was one of Yes's last good albums, though a huge let down after Relayer... Tormato was a sharp, drug induced downturn, with a quick pick-me-up by Drama. Though they were Mos Def no longer Yes at that point. The Rabin years were a bad joke, complete with A&R dudes trying to pimp up the band for whatever happened to be in style that month. There have been some incredibly poor shows over the next few decades, interspersed with some of the most jaw droppingly amazing shows... I mean, how can they be soooo good and soooo bad from year to year?

It's funny, when I listen to clips from this new album, my DNA snaps to alert when I hear the recognizable fingerprints of various band members (Squire, Howe, and White), yet it feels like cheap AOR stuff (as someone else astutely pointed out). Really fantastic production by Horn though.

When I listen to Relayer or sides 1, 3, or 4 of Tales, I still get chills down my spine. I don't need them to be different than what they are right now. I've received such blessings from their music in the past... enough to last the rest of my life.

Stephen

Archived