Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardcase or Softcase??

.....yeah, I know what you're gonna say!!

I'm torn between this:-

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_tsa_88slxl_keyboardcase.htm

or this:-

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=4025-2638 ...no wheels though.

or, the soft option...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kurzweil_kb88_gigbag.htm

..for my Kurz SP4-8, probably gigging once or twice a month, mainly in the back of my car but may be in the back of a van occasionally.

....I know what your gonna say!!

Dazzathedrummer

Kurzweil SP4-8 | EMU Xboard 61

Logic | Reaper | Ableton Live

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....then why ask?

kidding, personally I´d go for the lightest bag available for around town whilst being vigilant about minding my instrument loading in and out of the car. Carrying an extra 10 or 15 kilos when you have to walk a block or 3 or 5 just isn't fun. Even cases with wheels don't compensate for curbs, hefting into vehicle, etc...

Any time I have used a heavy case its always pissed me off more than made me feel secure. In short, if your careful you can get away with a gig bag for around town work. If your flying, different subject...

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Soft case if only I am handling my gear and it's all local travel.

Personally, I like the Gig Skinz soft cases with wheels for this purpose! Not sure they make one to fit the SP4-8 but worth checking out.

Hard cases for all other applications!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I'd go for the Kurzweil case, with the proviso that you always get to handle your own gear. That Gator is nearly as heavy again as the keyboard, and I daresay the flight case you linked to is even heavier than that.

However, that Kurz bag looks suspiciously like the semi-rigid items from the Gator range. If so, these don't offer a whole load of padding and you need to be very careful lugging them about. I've had keyboards take minor scratches and dings inside a Gator case before.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Gigs/tours where the equipment is transported in a van and/or trailer - go for an aluminium flight case or semi flight case (or tough moulded plastic).

You mention "back of the car" stuff - light padded shoulder bag would be my choice. You're carrying it (and driving? so you ain't drinking) - you'll be careful.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

ah, see, I was thinking everyone would say "hard case", but both responses have gone the other way.

The shifting and carrying is probably more of a concern than protection for what I'm using it for. It'll always be packed by me and more often than not, it'll be in my own car.

Last week I had a rehearsal and took the board in its original box - it was so bulky that I could hardy lift it on my own....and I had to go up three flights of stairs.

When it came to gig time, I took it without the box but wrapped a blanket around it in the car - it was so much easier to carry.

I just double-checked the measurements on the Kurz KB88, its too small for the SP4-8 despite being advertised as an accessory to it! - so that ones out.

I'm now thinking either this:

Gator GK-88

or this: -

Gig Skinz DGK8L

Both of those seem quite heavy 12.68KG and 15.8KG respectively, the board itself is 17.7KG!

The Gator case is slightly cheaper than the Gig Skinz one, but the Gig Skins one does look that much better.

Dazzathedrummer

GigSkinz have better protection in my experience but the only one I ever had, the zip went on within weeks. The Gators are light but not much padding on them, as mentioned above. However, both Gator cases I own stand up firmly on their end, which can make handling easier, while the Gigskinz did not.

Not sure why any of them need to be so heavy, to be honest.

Yeah, I agree I wouldn't put any soft case in anything but my own car. I had a Rok Sak when I had a CP33 - the combo was just about carryable by hand but then I'm a weakling. But for most gigs I prefer a bag with wheels, as it can take a whole load of strain off your hands, even if the load itself is heavier. But each to their own.

that Kurz bag looks suspiciously like the semi-rigid items from the Gator range. If so, these don't offer a whole load of padding and you need to be very careful lugging them about. I've had keyboards take minor scratches and dings inside a Gator case before.

I was planning on buying a Gator GK61 case (for transport in the car). You're saying it's not padded well? I assume it would be better than the zippered soft case I'm currently using that has minimal padding?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm kinda thinking......if the board was laying flat on the floor, in a case/bag and a boom mic stand with no mic holder fell, straight down on the keys - would the board get damaged.

In reality, its not that likely that the board would be dropped or even have something fall on it - just purely because its one of those extremely precious and expensive things that you never take your eyes off of.

It's in more danger when its out on stage (especially from mic stands).

....so as long as its got enough padding for that kind of punishment, I'd be happy - I think?!?!?!.

Dazzathedrummer

Daz, as far as you're mic stand scenario is concerned, I'd say it should be OK.

Synthoid, the Gators are better padded than cheap gig bags but the foam layer at the bottom of the case is pretty thin - certainly nowhere near as much protection as the Nord bag I have for my NP88.

I prefer soft cases, too, if I'm packing the gear myself. I do have hard cases if my gear is going into a trailer or if it needs to be stacked.

One thing that drives me crazy, is that most of my cases are way too big for my keyboards. The Gator GKB-88 (different than the GK-88) is HUGE! I use it for my Kurzweil PC3x (foolishly), and the extra fabric makes it so floppy and droopy that it's really hard to carry. Actually I can't really use the handles because it's liable to drag on the ground if I do.

If I ever shop for cases again, they are going to fit my keyboards snugly.

Gig Skinz DGK8L

Both of those seem quite heavy 12.68KG and 15.8KG respectively, the board itself is 17.7KG!

The Gator case is slightly cheaper than the Gig Skinz one, but the Gig Skins one does look that much better.

I'd be VERY surprised if the weight on the Gig Skinz bag is correct at 34.5 lbs. I have the DGK7T that I use with my CP33 and XK3, and I don't think the case weighs any more than 10-12 lbs tops!

In any case, the wheels makes it a breeze to get around once its in the case, so thats a big bonus.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

You have to have cases custom cut if you want them to fit. I never buy generic stuff. It isn't like SKB and Gator stuff is cheap. For not that much more money you can have stuff built to size.

I used to like Hybrid back in the day but they pretty much suck now. Also Thoroughbred Music used to custom build cases at a reasonable price but I think Sam Ash bought them out.

If I need another case someday I will probably give RoadHawg a try. Their PA and guitar amp cases are nice.

http://www.roadhawgcases.com/home.html

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Synthoid, the Gators are better padded than cheap gig bags but the foam layer at the bottom of the case is pretty thin - certainly nowhere near as much protection as the Nord bag I have for my NP88.

Thanks Aidan. My current gig bag isn't much protection, so I'll eventually buy a Gator... taking care when packing up and transporting.

I have a hard case as well but it weighs so much and isn't easy to get in/out of the car. Sometimes the corners catch on seat fabric which isn't much fun either.

...hmmmm, I might give the Gator a go, maybe get it from somewhere that has a good returns policy - Like CEB says, these things aint cheap - if its not right, its going back!

CEB - I hear what you're saying about those custom hard cases, my second link was for a similar deal.

I don't think it would fit in my car though - and I think the solidity of it would give me a false sense of confidence, I'd probably damage all the walls in my house, the interior of my car and maybe take out the odd glass door haha, that's just me though, I am a drummer after all.

Dazzathedrummer

I might give the Gator a go, maybe get it from somewhere that has a good returns policy - Like CEB says, these things aint cheap - if its not right, its going back!

I've seen Gator cases on sale--should have snapped one up the last time. One store had discounted "B" stock cases as well... a few scuffs or scratches I guess with the same warranty.

I hear what you're saying about those custom hard cases, my second link was for a similar deal. I don't think it would fit in my car though - and I think the solidity of it would give me a false sense of confidence, I'd probably damage all the walls in my house, the interior of my car and maybe take out the odd glass door

I've scratched and dinged my share of walls (and other things) with hard cases. And like I mentioned above--they will eventually ruin your car upholstery.

:(

Only board that I have a soft case for is the Electro 3 - a Nord bag. I also have a hard case for it, and hard cases for the PC3 and the PC3X.

I have a van for transport, I load in/out on a modified RockNRoller cart (lengthened so that I can lay the 88 case down on it at full length). So, the extra weight is only when I put it on the cart, put the cart in the van, and remove the cart from the van.

Each case is about the right size, though they are the cheap ATA style cases sold on EBay - each is lined with carpet, then some small amount of foam is used to keep the board from rattling around.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I use both and agree with all the comments in this thread. One subtle advantage of a hard case is that you can stack stuff on top of it and not have to worry about the weight damaging your keyboard. A soft case should be on top unless you're talking about something really light. That's a consideration if you have limited room in your vehicle, or if you're piling everything into a van...

D7

all good comments so far. I am leaning towards a soft case at the moment, the keyboard will be in my car with not a lot else, a monitor and a bag, 95% of the time.

The primary function of the board is as a studio instrument, at the moment, I've got one keyboard gig a month booked and I've also just been offered a gig with a blues brothers tribute band in August.

I'm thinking I'll get a soft case and maybe upgrade to a hard case if I think I need it.

I like the look of those Fusion bags, not easy to get hold of in the UK though.

I just found this.....

SKB-KB-88

that's another one to consider.

Dazzathedrummer

I use a soft case for my Nord, with the caveat that 99% of the time; it goes on the backseat of my car. My Yamaha gets a hard case, and has a retired semi-rigid soft case sitting in the garage. Why is it retired? The Yamaha is too large to fit across the back seat...even with me carefully loading it with nothing on top in my own vehicle; its own girth did in a few keys two years ago. Just the shifting of load in my car broke a couple of teeth....and so ended the soft case.

So for me, if its 20 pounds and fits easily in your backseat, soft is great for all the reasons mentioned. Anything other than the above scenario should land your board in a hard case.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I prefer hard cases myself - too easy for a knob or fader to be broken otherwise (especially something like my Blofeld, whose knobs stand about an inch clear of the top panel). Does add to the weight though...

I have this case on order for my SP4-7: GatorGKPE-61-TSA

It's a case for a 61 key board, but the internal dimensions will fit the SP, which at 44" is only slightly longer than most 61's. The case is supposed to arrive tomorrow, I'll report my impressions then. I got a hard case for the Kurz so I can stack stuff on it in my car. I still need to find a case for my XK-1, but I'll probably go for a soft case for it. The Gig-Skinz looks pretty good.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

The best "soft" case I ever found was the 88-key version of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/420617.jpg

Yamaha YBS soft case, which I understand isn't available anymore. I've been trying to track down who made these for Yamaha because I'd buy another one tomorrow if I could find it! Anyone seen anything similar around?

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

The best "soft" case I ever found was the 88-key version of this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/420617.jpg

Yamaha YBS soft case, which I understand isn't available anymore........

Here is a shameless plug and a link to a 76 key Yamaha case (YBS-761) that is like new and still available:

Yamaha 76 Keyboard Case

Inside dimensions are: 50" x 16" x 6"

PM for info.

Archived