Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clean Gain Boost Pedal for NE2

Does anyone use a clean gain boost pedal they like on a keyboard they have that has weak output?

The NE2 is legendary for low output and I always use a mixer in my rig, but I'm in a situation where I just need a stomp box to throw in my case to boost my signal, when I'm NOT carrying my rig.

Let's say for example a jam session, where the tool running the PA doesn't want to gain the keyboard channel up because it's just easier to say that my output is too low, and thats why I can't be heard! :rolleyes:

In the limited discussion I've had on the subject, two boxes keep coming up.

1. The MXR Micro Amp

2. BBE Sound Boosta Grande

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I did a quick search, but didn't see a topic for this already.

Thanks all!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking something like this may be useful:

JDI

But if the PA guy won't do basic gain leveling...I don't know!

No, I already use a direct box and that's not the issue (other than converting hi to low Z for using a mic channel on the board), but the output from the NE2 is still too low.

I've got a number of DI's and mixers already, but at this point I'm only looking at a gain boost pedal solution.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Just a question here (as i don't have an answer)

Is it possible to use the microphone output instead of the normal Audio out to get a bigger volume? They say that's it's quite stronger - but my concern is the sound quality. Will it be good enough?

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

How about a pre-amp, like the ART MP series?

I've been experimenting with the BBE Acoustimax pedal on my E3, which has some gain control on it. In addition, it's got a notch filter and it's own 3 band EQ set at different frequencies than the Nord.

The output level of an NE is a little low, but seriously ...

If they can't get a line level signal loud enough, something's wrong (or you're not driving your patches full enough).

This is especially true if using a passive direct box. A line level signal converted to balanced usually needs a pad. If the signal is too low, switch off the pad.

I agree with those who say that any FOH who can't get the NE in the mix is incompetent, unless you're not driving your patches fully enough. Mostly that's just using that gain knob on the right properly!

I've never had the problem as our mixers were our friends, but if they can't turn you up and they are just that damn lazy, talk to them or fire the basterd. There is no sense in this happening and there are plenty of good mixers around and others who really want to learn. I've had to talk to other bands mixers who were afraid of the gain, volume knob, slidder. My Mackie has three of these. If an audience member every complained about the live sound the band will/would converg at the sound board and have a look see and a pow wow with the sound person to correct the problem.

Standard practice to get more gain out of an Electro 2 is to use the headphone output jack.

Yeah, I guess could start there. I've just been too lazy to make a mono "summing" cable. Maybe today's the day! I've been asked to be the house keyboard guy for this same jam for the next couple of weeks, so I'll give it a whirl.

Seems silly, since I never have this problem with my own rig or PA!! Such is life!

If you run mono, you'd probably be better off just taking one side. Spinning leslie doesn't sound great summed, IMHO. Perhaps that's why the NE labels the right side as MONO.

It used to be that using a cable to sum to mono, without 6dB attenuation resistors in-line on both legs, was bad for the output drivers and could evenutually blow them if driven hard for long periods. The op amps on both sides would fight each other and draw too much current. TASCAM gear used to come with warnings about that. It may not be an issue any more, since we never see minimum load impedance specs or such warnings.

Archived