Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TWISTER KEYBOARD STANDS?

kiwihawaii

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have knowledge of Twister keyboard stands?

They spin 360 degrees, so you can play facing different directions, or do a spin

or two here and there for effect.

I'm thinking to order one so that I can entertain a bit more while performing.

I saw Styx's awhile back and thought that visually it was cool that his stand rotated the keyboards, so i found this Company (360stand) that makes them.

Any of you use one or heard about them?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks pretty cool - I'd be concerned about the cables though. They show a pic of loosely wrapped cables that allows 2 rotations in each direction, I'd be afraid of losing track. Would be perfect for a battery powered controller with wireless midi.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I opened for Styx on New Years Eve and took a long hard look at the rotating keyboard rig. I thought the whole thing was a custom job, I didn't realize there was a company in the business of making those. Wow. I can tell you that looking at it, it looked like a giant super beast. In fact, I'd venture to say that it would only be practical in large (theatre) to huge (stadium) sized venues.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Just went to the twister stand website. The one used by Lawrence Gowan is much bigger and bulkier than the one that company makes.

P.S. Gotta love professional captions:

http://bobbycressey.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/screen-shot-2011-05-05-at-8-38-44-pm.png

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

http://bobbycressey.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/screen-shot-2011-05-05-at-8-38-44-pm.png

"NEED MUSIC OR WANT TO READ A MANUAL WHILE PLAYING ? "... that's def a 'LOL' thang !

I often feel like a good read whilst I'm playing - maybe a curry too (a'la Rick Wakeman) :snax: !

Interesting concept tho'. Here's the link to their website... http://twisterstand.com/home.cfm

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I just went to there website. They look very practical and adaptable to most any situation. I really like the "cable bundler". Messy cables drive me nuts and there aren`t many options. I`m curious to hear if this bothers anyone else.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

The stand weighs 50lbs and turnaround time is 2 days. (Just heard back from the company.)

:D

I don't have gigs that last that long, so I'd need another solution. :)

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

This stand looks pretty interesting. The "lift" feature is definitely appealing. I'll wonder out loud about what (if any) mechanism the Twister stands have to keep it from pivoting when you're not actually trying to spin it. While it certainly ain't cheap - it doesn't seem like it's ridiculously expensive.
The SpaceNorman :freak:

Well, I had questions since I saw this stand being used by somebody a few weeks ago (before this thread started), and he was so vague about where he got it, what it cost, how much it weighed. I got the a guy made it for me, kinda heavy response. (As if I was going to steal his Houdini-esque secrets.) Ive seen it in use, and Ive been trying to come up with my own solution for a couple years, but none of my ideas are practical in application. And while Im no Lawrence Gowan, the Jordan Rudess implementation is more my style: turn to face the player you need to key off of, and give/get a different audience perspective.

For me, the implementation would be different. Unless Im the lead vocalist (like in PinkFreud), I would prefer to set up sideways facing the band angled slightly towards the audience so if they want they can see my hands working, and it frees up the rest of the stage for the other guys to move around, which they actually do quite a bit of when geography is available. Then on those songs where Im fronting either vocally or instrumentally, to just be able to turn and give the appropriate view would be great and adds a little something to an otherwise static position.

The one thing to consider is your pedal/switching situation. Moving from your usual position would mean you need either more pedals placed in other positions, or use more keyboard-based controllers like wheels, sliders, etc.

Definitely thinking about this. Id like to see what it looks like broke down for transport.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

This stand looks pretty interesting. The "lift" feature is definitely appealing. I'll wonder out loud about what (if any) mechanism the Twister stands have to keep it from pivoting when you're not actually trying to spin it. While it certainly ain't cheap - it doesn't seem like it's ridiculously expensive.

The weight of the base it what keeps it in place. I checked it out at a guy's gig, and it's uber-stable. He was supporting an 88 Korg M3. And the legs are perfectly placed to prevent any pivot/wbble.

If you mean what keeps it from turning....I just sent an email regarding same. But as I remember the keyboardist using me telling me, it did have some "lock" mode.

In case anybody's interested here's a closeup of L.G.'s rig.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/5693953654_be6dd8e6df.jpg

Styx Rotating Keyboard Rig by Bobbycressey

One important note; this stand bears scant resemblance to the stands used by Larry Gowan (Styx) or Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater).

Both of those gentlemen use stands that offer infinite rotation, because they use a device known as a slip ring. The stand mentioned in this thread's origin does not offer any such facility. Spin it and walk away, and you're going to need a soldering iron pretty quick. :freak:

That being said, though, they look okay, but not for the local pub gig; too easy to spin it and take out a passing waitress.

Hmmmm.... actually, could be good for self-defense against drunken patrons... :evil:

One important note; this stand bears scant resemblance to the stands used by Larry Gowan (Styx) or Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater).

I spoke to Tom, and he says pulling up on the foot lever puts a hold on the keyboard swivel, but says the mass of the keyboard stand combined with the keyboard itself is enough that you will never need to engage that. It spins when you want it to, but remains in place when you dont.

And to be honest, who here intends to spin this thing around 360 or 720 degrees during a show? I think Im going to take another look at the guy I know who uses one this weekend and see how much room he has to use it and swivel. Great in theory.not so great in reality?

I don't know, it may be safe and fine, but pardon a little skepticism: A possible upcoming YouTube: "drunk guy in audience has fun with swiveling keyboard"

future keyword searches: Twister stand, twisted cables, stage disaster, lawsuit

Not really a prediction, and I hope it never happens.

Well, like any judgement call, knowing when and where to whip it out as it were would be important. If I was playing in places without a stage, for sure that keyboard stand would not be in play.

I like the height adjustment too. I didn't mean to get in the middle of this thread - just don't want anyone to have any accidents.

Now.... if they add wheels and an electric motor, you could visit different areas of the stage, like ride over to the guitar player and turn his amp down. :)

Funny you mentioned that...one of my ideas was to mount my stand in a movable "tray", but the obvious pedal issues and cabling trauma nixed that idea!

...to be honest, who here intends to spin this thing around 360 or 720 degrees during a show?

It's rare that I play a stage where there's room for the theatrics that a 360 degree spin would require. On the other hand, there are few venues that I play where a simple rotation of 90 degrees in either direction wouldn't be net add to the "visual" of my performance. Just being able to make a 90 degree turn to the left or right so that I can face the people on the side of the stage - and make my hands visible to the folks in front would be pretty cool. Heck on some stages a slight spin would be helpful for just getting in and out from behind my rig!!

The height adjustment would be pretty cool as well. I play seated all night - not because I need to sit ALL night - but rather because I CAN'T stand all night (I ride my volume pedals too much to be standing on one foot for most of the night).

The SpaceNorman :freak:

turnaround time is 2 days. (Just heard back from the company.)

I don't have gigs that last that long

Ever tried a Wagner opera? :bor::bor::bor::D

I think the coolest thing about it is the height adjustment.

Reminds me of being in the dentists chair... :eek: !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived