Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

YES 9012 Live tour question

Synthoid

I recently saw the 9012Live concert streaming on Netflix. Not the greatest quality... and it also contains a lot of distracting "old movie" artsy stuff vs. straight concert footage. :rolleyes:

But anyway, does anyone know what keyboards were used during this tour? Tony Kaye plays onstage, but I also read that an additional keyboardist was backstage covering extra parts. Just wondered what gear they used.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Side note...did you know that it was directed by a young Steven Soderbergh?

I recall reading that during an earlier Google search.

:thu:

This guy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Tony_Kaye_Yes.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~bzonline/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tonyr66_8704.jpg

I didn't have time to watch the whole video. Tony had several keyboards onstage... but I could only identify a DX-7, some sort of electric piano, and an Oberheim synth.

Did he use that Casio live with Yes?

:facepalm:

I've got the non-effected (what did they call that, Charlex or something? :freak:) video on VHS... I'll have to dig that up and take a walk down memory lane.

I remember thinking at the time that it was a CP80M piano, but looking at it now on YouTube, it could be a Kawai electric. Haven't come across a well-lit-enough clip to get any more than what's already been said.

On a similar note, here's an interesting snippet of an interview with Tony; he doesn't talk about the exact rig, but talks about general items:

Link to original post on YesFans.com

EG: There are rumors that keep popping-up about other musicians hidden under the stage, playing things.

Billy Sherwood told me that he used to cue-up CDs and stuff. How many people were under the stage, and what exactly were they doing under there?

TK: You know, there wasn't a lot of that going-on, contrary to other people's analysis of it.

It has been suggested that I was 'miming' my parts.

And that just isn't true.

We did have a keyboard set-up under the stage, but it was mostly for vocals, string parts, and maybe some midi-bits.

EG: Which leads to something I wanted to have you clear up out there. There are those who say that you only played the Hammond parts live.

TK: Not at all.

I had a keyboard rig where the top keyboard was two octaves of samples, which was pretty high-tech at the time, 'EMU' sampling equipment, for 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart', 'Shoot High Aim Low'. Samples from Big Generator, 90125, and all of the sampling that was done on the TALK album...

I played all of that on stage, for the record.

And don't forget that Billy (Sherwood) was on that tour, and he was playing little keyboard parts, guitar or acoustic...

He was playing the stuff that I couldn't play at the same time.

But all of the orchestral and soundscape things that were impossible to play, because they were definitive sounds we created in the studio? Well, that was all on my left hand.

So there you go!

Regarding that extra keyboardist with the 9012Live tour, I came across this in my search:

On the 9012Live album, an extra credit is found for keyboardist Casey Young. It was revealed that while Kaye played keyboards on stage for the tour, Young played additional keyboards backstage, while remaining unseen from the audience. (This is not surprising given the technology of the time and the demands placed on the keyboards by the intricate 90125 songs. Kaye has said in an interview that he did not use MIDI until the Big Generator tour.)

I recall Keyboard Magazine did an interview with Tony at the time of the tour. He talked about the B3 sound he used during the Roundabout solo, which was a stack of samples from off-stage modules. I attended that show in NJ and remember that solo sounded like crap. They also completely lip-synced Leave It, and Chris Squire's bass solo started with him playing one note for 5 minutes. That one show turned me off to Yes for years.

Mike

They also completely lip-synced Leave It,

I did not know this. I was aware of the off-stage keyboard, but I never heard about the lip-sync. :(

Side note...did you know that it was directed by a young Steven Soderbergh?

Did not know this either. That makes sense, tons of quick edits.

Saw the 90120 tour twice. First early on at the Cow palace in SF and then on the second leg of the tour a few months later at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. Tony Kaye had a Kawai electric grand topped with an OB8 and a DX-7 and to his left a BX3 topped with something else, maybe an EMU E-2, don't quite remember. I also remember reading soon after that his tech had a back stage rig for a few songs that included a Jupiter 6, DX-7 and something else. They did Leave it and Our Song on the second leg and I was fairly close to the stage and don't think they lip synced. Alan White was out front with a couple of drum pads and singing too so they were all lined up across the front of the stage. Then after the initial section they jumped on to their instruments. It was a really cool, dramatic moment. I could be naively wrong about the lip syncing but it looked and sounded real to me. That they lip synced it certainly never crossed my mind at the time.

[font:Arial Black]I had a chance to see that tour. I thought the 90125 album was good and they played that stuff well but they couldnt perform the older stuff. I heard a bar band in Boise Idaho do Roundabout better.

I was very disappointed as the stuff on Fragile and Close to the Edge runs through my veins.

[/font]

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I was at both the Cow palace, and the Greek, and I would vote for lip syncing! The vocals sounded like the studio recording, and as soon as the real singing started they sounded very different (not nearly as produced). Disappointing, but Trevor's guitar playing was impressive IMO.

Saw the 90120 tour twice.Tony Kaye had a Kawai electric grand topped with an OB8 and a DX-7 and to his left a BX3 topped with something else, maybe an EMU E-2

That sounds right... thanks!

:thu:

Back in my Casio days I got a chance to visit with the band/see the show down in Philly... They were using our FZ-1 under the stage along with a lot of other gear. AS I recall Tony had two rack under the stage with a number of Korg DSM-1's and the old Oberheim DPX-1's... probably some other units that I don't recall.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/dpx1.php

I got to play a few chords on his rig before they let people in and the sound was massive/wonderful!

I always loved his organ sound on the Yes album - his playing was simple, but that sound!!

Regards,

Jerry

I always loved his organ sound on the Yes album - his playing was simple, but that sound!!

I agree with you whole heartedly on that comment, Jerry. "The Yes Album" was the first of the band's that I ever got and, to me, it's still their best.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Archived