Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Tubes live - wow...

I went to see the Tubes this evening. I used to see them any time they came to town years ago, and have been a big fan of their music for many years. Anyway, we have this little venue in Agoura Hills called the Canyon Club. It's an intimate little room, but all of these old guy acts play there...Tower of Power, Styx, Kansas, America, Pat Benatar, Doobie Brothers...King Crimson was there last night, and the Tubes were there tonight. I had no idea what to expect, but I figured for $19.50, what the heck. I cannot believe that these guys can still pull off the show that they did this evening. Stellar performance...unbelievable energy. Fee can still sing just as well as he did the last time I saw them in the mid-80's. He even did the full-on Quay Lewd get-up for "White Punks on Dope" Has anyone else seen them recently? If not, if they come to your area, I highly recommend the show! dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]posted by Dave Bryce: [b]I went to see the Tubes this evening. I used to see them any time they came to town years ago, and have been a big fan of their music for many years. Anyway, we have this little venue in Agoura Hills called the Canyon Club. It's an intimate little room, but all of these old guy acts play there...Tower of Power, Styx, Kansas, America, Pat Benatar, Doobie Brothers...King Crimson was there last night, and the Tubes were there tonight. I had no idea what to expect, but I figured for $19.50, what the heck. I cannot believe that these guys can still pull off the show that they did this evening. Stellar performance...unbelievable energy. Fee can still sing just as well as he did the last time I saw them in the mid-80's. He even did the full-on Quay Lewd get-up for "White Punks on Dope" Has anyone else seen them recently? If not, if they come to your area, I highly recommend the show![/b][/quote]Ooh! I can't wait. [quote][b]we have this little venue in Agoura Hills called the Canyon Club. It's an intimate little room, but all of these old guy acts play there...Tower of Power, Styx, Kansas, America, Pat Benatar...[/b][/quote]Hmmm...don't know there's an equivelent club here on the East Coast for the Washed-Up Fogey Bands You Wish Never Existed genre. Oh! Too bad! We miss out on ALL the fun out here. You helLA folks got it made, yo?

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b] [quote]posted by Dave Bryce: [b]I went to see the Tubes this evening. I used to see them any time they came to town years ago, and have been a big fan of their music for many years. Anyway, we have this little venue in Agoura Hills called the Canyon Club. It's an intimate little room, but all of these old guy acts play there...Tower of Power, Styx, Kansas, America, Pat Benatar, Doobie Brothers...King Crimson was there last night, and the Tubes were there tonight. I had no idea what to expect, but I figured for $19.50, what the heck. I cannot believe that these guys can still pull off the show that they did this evening. Stellar performance...unbelievable energy. Fee can still sing just as well as he did the last time I saw them in the mid-80's. He even did the full-on Quay Lewd get-up for "White Punks on Dope" Has anyone else seen them recently? If not, if they come to your area, I highly recommend the show![/b][/quote]Ooh! I can't wait. [quote][b]we have this little venue in Agoura Hills called the Canyon Club. It's an intimate little room, but all of these old guy acts play there...Tower of Power, Styx, Kansas, America, Pat Benatar...[/b][/quote]Hmmm...don't know there's an equivelent club here on the East Coast for the Washed-Up Fogey Bands You Wish Never Existed genre. Oh! Too bad! We miss out on ALL the fun out here. You helLA folks got it made, yo?[/b][/quote]yeah, whatever, Curve :bor: DB, I saw them nearly 20 years ago opening for David Bowie (yeah, that old geezer ;) ) - they nearly stole the show. When I was a young'un, the drum solo off "the Tubes Live" album was one of the most copied solos by every wannabe drummer of the day! :cool:

Jay

PlugHead Productions

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b]I went to see the Tubes this evening. I used to see them any time they came to town years ago, and have been a big fan of their music for many years. Anyway, we have this little venue in Agoura Hills called the Canyon Club. It's an intimate little room, but all of these old guy acts play there...Tower of Power, Styx, Kansas, America, Pat Benatar, Doobie Brothers...King Crimson was there last night, and the Tubes were there tonight. I had no idea what to expect, but I figured for $19.50, what the heck. I cannot believe that these guys can still pull off the show that they did this evening. Stellar performance...unbelievable energy. Fee can still sing just as well as he did the last time I saw them in the mid-80's. He even did the full-on Quay Lewd get-up for "White Punks on Dope" Has anyone else seen them recently? If not, if they come to your area, I highly recommend the show! dB[/b][/quote]I got to see them for free (a friend who worked at the venue got tickets) about a year and a half ago. I saw them years ago and they kicked ass. They hadn't changed a bit. Sad thing, though, The Tubes never should have come to KC. The small venue was about half full. They rocked as though they had a full house! Cool thing, though, they came out after the show and autographed stuff for their loyal following. I met 'em all, nice guys, seemed quite talkative and easygoing. I still think Prairie Prince is one of the best drummers around. And, I have an autographed Tubes T shirt. :D I don't wear it...it's strictly a display model. Maybe I'll wear it for a gig sometime.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]Cool thing, though, they came out after the show and autographed stuff for their loyal following. I met 'em all, nice guys, seemed quite talkative and easygoing.[/b][/quote]Yup - they did last night, too - I talked to Fee and Prairie Prince briefly. [quote][b] I still think Prairie Prince is one of the best drummers around. [/b][/quote]Fully agreed! He did a kick-ass drum solo in the middle of "Tip of My Tongue" last night that was nothing short of terrifying. [img]http://www.thetubes.com/20030131/images/35Prairie.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.thetubes.com/20030131/images/12PrairieRick.jpg[/img] Man, they were so tight, so well-rehearsed, so musical. I wish that more of the young bands were like that - I miss it terribly. [img]http://www.thetubes.com/20030131/images/50Quay.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.thetubes.com/20030131/images/40BacklitFee.jpg[/img] :thu: dB

Yeah I love these guys! I saw them a bunch of times in the '70s with the full stage show (bondage, 'cycles, baseball games, Quay Lewd and his 14" acrylic platform shoes filled with fish). In the mid-80s I saw them (without Fee) at a small club in NJ ("Mothers"), and hung around with them at the bar in between shows. Prince is still my favorite power-drummer and it was nice to see Vince Welnick get the nod to join the Grateful Dead not too long afterwards. Still one of the most entertaining and unique stage-shows I saw. Glad to hear Waldo is back singing with them. -Tim from Jersey, proud winner of a baby's arm holding an apple. :thu:
Play. Just play.

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]Man, I'd love to see them! It would be worth it just to see and hear, "Talk To You Later." Do they do the end like the album, dB?[/b][/quote]Not this tour. Talk To Ya Later was the third and final song of their encore (following Tip of My Tongue and A Matter of Pride), so they did an extended ending with Roger Steen and the other guitar guy (Gary Cambra?) trading solos. It was great. dB

I haven't seen the Tubes for about 15 years. So great to hear that they still have that incredible energy. It's a rare thing these days, a band that does stellar performances and puts on a great show at the same. - Jeff

I saw the Tubes in about '83, when they had a very elaborate stage show. I saw them again at a small venue club in NJ in the mid 90's. No stage show, but the performance was impressive. The bassist an drummer were as tight as any rhythm section that I've ever heard. Are they back into the theatrics these days? Any new albums?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]I saw the Tubes in about '83, when they had a very elaborate stage show. I saw them again at a small venue club in NJ in the mid 90's. No stage show, but the performance was impressive. The bassist an drummer were as tight as any rhythm section that I've ever heard. Are they back into the theatrics these days? Any new albums?[/b][/quote]Yeah, they do some theatrics, perhaps not quite as elaborate as the old days, but Fee still does about a costume change per song. That "Mondo Bondage" bit still "cracks" me up. :rolleyes: :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]That "Mondo Bondage" bit still "cracks" me up. :rolleyes: :D [/b][/quote]...and he did it the other night, too. It was great! :thu: For some reason, they felt a need to do two C&W songs, though. They did El Paso and Ghost Riders in the Sky, but Ghost Riders segued right into Mondo Bondage... :D dB

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Bryce: [b] [quote]Originally posted by where02190: [b]Hey Bryce, what were you for Halloween?[/b][/quote]Did the pirate thing. You? dB[/b][/quote]I was a sound guy....oh wait...I AM a sound guy!!!!!! No wonder everyone said I looked so good!!!! No rest for the wicked...

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived