Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XK-1 paired with a Neo Vent

SpikeKeys

I own a Hammond XK-1 that I love, but after all the buzz about the Neo Ventilator, I am tempted to get one. That's a lot of money, though, for a trial run.

Have any of you actually done this kind of marriage? Does the Vent really kick the XK-1 sim's butt?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rig: XK1->Vent->K10.

IMHO, it really is a significant enhancement over the XK1 sim. The OD, 122 tone and close mic setting, etc is really excellent!

I recently got an NE3 and the Vent is also a remarkable improvement over the NE3 sim, IMHO. For that matter, IMHO, XK1 sim > NE3 sim, but both are distant 2nd and 3rd to the Vent.

This is strictly IMHO regarding the XK1 and NE3 and Vent. I never played nor heard an XK3C, but I've read it's on a different planet than the XK1, as well it should be for $1000 more than the XK1. Like you, I love my XK1 and had no intention of ever upgrading to an XK3C, due to price and form factor. What I paid for my XK1+Vent is still a far cry from the price of a new XK3C, so for me, it's $500 absolutely well spent.

I had to run my XK1->K10 at our last gig without my Vent, due to odd power issues. It was perfectly doable, but like eating spaghetti with Ragu instead of homemade sauce. ;)

FWIW, the last hardware sim I used was an MS PRO3T for my VK7. I forked out $600 back in the day looking for 'that sound'! Also, prior to buying the Vent, I ran my XK1 internal sim + Speakeasy pedal preamp.

Read the super long Vent thread and listen to B3er's samples to judge for yourself. I bought the Vent based solely on B3er's review and samples. I have NOT been disappointed! :)

I own a Hammond XK-1 that I love, but after all the buzz about the Neo Ventilator, I am tempted to get one. That's a lot of money, though, for a trial run.

Have any of you actually done this kind of marriage? Does the Vent really kick the XK-1 sim's butt?

You did seem to equally like the ''Numa's'' sim. and the xk1 sim.

All I can say is that my electro 3 does benefit greatly from the vent.

However the Numa doesn't sound better with a ventilator.

Try for yourself, because the ventilator does alter the internal tone way more than the internal simulations do.

The Vent is the best Leslie simulator on the market, no doubt. The Numa has a great sim as well, but it is different. The Vent is more like a miked Leslie, the Numa more like a Leslie in a room. Plus the Vent gives you an Amazing tube-like overdrive, much better than the Numa (IMHO).

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I own an XM-2 (same guts as the XK-1) and a vent and I swear I can smell the Hammond Oil in the room!

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Here's a video of the Hammond XM2 (module version of the XK1), played with its own leslie sim (configuration A in the video) and with the Ventilator (configuration B). It makes a big difference.

(BTW, he says in the video that the XK-1 and XK-3c have the same leslie effect, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, the leslie effect of the XK-3c is better than the XK-1. I haven't had the chance to play the 3c.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'll take the leslie in a room....

That's' "configuration C" in the same video. You can hear that the Vent is much closer to it than the XK1's internal sim is.

If you're playing a room that is big enough where they would mic the leslie, I don't know how significant any difference would be in the house. If you're playing a small venue where the audience hears everything off the stage, the rest of the band will probably tell you to turn the leslie down and it won't sound it's best anyway. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived