Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Californian Fire

Hi, I'm turning here for the most informative and reliable source of news. First of all, I hope everyone is well clear of the fire and it is not affecting you in any way. So what can you tell me about it, where exactly is it? I read a few news reports and it seems to be at Mount Baldy at the moment. No danger of it heading South for Riverside is there? (Phil?) On TV here they at first told us of a fire in Southern California, that's it, no more specific than that. Now they say it's near LA, they dont mention whereabouts in LA it's near. I heard them mention the San Bernardino National Forest and the San Gabriel Mountains but that's it. Extremely vague. The internet reports are a little more helpful but everyone just seems keen to show the pictures. Thanks, and stay safe everyone. John

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I woke up to a red sky and smoke to the south. It literally looked like hell :eek: The fires were 15 to 30 miles away then but in the last hour another started maybe 7 or 8 miles away, maybe it's closer than that. (Scripps-Poway Parkway) This is [b]eerie[/b] :freak: There are strong swirling winds, red sky on one side of my house and some blue sky and smoke on the other. The sky is getting darker by the minute, it's like night is returning.

John, We have fires all over the place. Huge fire in San Bernardino that's covered near 50,000 acres & moved on into Fontana. Crestline is still burning, there's a large, 25,000 acre +, fire in the Simi Valley that's split into two fires. There are also fires in San Diego County. So far, several hundred homes have been destroyed. The winds are running over 35 mph with lttle humidity so it's going to be a bitch for the next few days. No relief in sight until at least Tuesday, according to the weather service. So far, Temecula is in good shape though a few miles southwest, parts of Fallbrook are in some danger. Bitch of the thing is, it looks like most of the fires were started by arsons.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

The sky was a bizarre orange on Friday. This was from the smoke of the Rancho Cucamonga (near Fontana - San Bernardino) fire. From my house looking west, I can see billowing black/brown smoke. That's from the Simi Valley fire. Many are suspected to be set by arsonists. These fires are burning, burning, burning more because of gusty Santa Ana winds, high temperatures, and extremely dry air. Makes it difficult for firefighters to put out these things. How they do it I don't know. The gusty winds also make it difficult to drop fire retardant liquids from helicopters and planes and water because the wind whisks it away.

The fire is heading toward HEAVILY populated areas... They said the flames JUMPED the 15 Freeway. People are still driving down the freeway with flames on both sides... going into the "darkness" caused by the smoke. This is getting REALLY serious... REALLY fast. It's less than 10 miles away from me. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Hope all of you down in SoCal are doing OK. My wife and I lived for a couple of years near Cal State San Bernardino, which has been evacuated. If we were still living there I guess we would be fleeing the flames as well. Again, hope everyone is OK Regards, nitecrawler
"Time to head down that old Colorado highway pardner."

Wow. Good luck Steve. Sounds like it is much MUCH worse than I thought. I had no idea it was all over the place. I'm surprised to read that there are fires West & SouthWest of you (Ken & Bill) I thought it was just approaching from the NorthEast. I'm in shock. I hope everyone is gonna be OK. Look at SteveRB's post times and what he's saying - in the space of 20 minutes a fire had started and spread 5 or 6 miles, in his direction! My thoughts are with you all.

Good luck, Steve and all. I hope that nothing happens to your family, home, friends, neighbors, etc. I am bracketed by the fires, with the Simi Valley fire to the west, and the San Bernardino (Fontana/Rancho Cucamonga fire that's near the 210 and 15 Freeways) very far to the east from where we are. We are fortunately quite safe for now, as the fires are quite far away. People as far as San Dimas have been advised to start thinking about gathering their belongings and considering their evacuation. That's not too good. That fire is really difficult to contain. It's very frightening for a lot of people.

Here's the view from my front yard. [img]http://www.staffup.com/fire1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.staffup.com/fire2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.staffup.com/fire3.jpg[/img] In the first picture... the little pink dot... the sun. The wind's blowing around 20 - 35 mph. Homes are going up. Most of the firefighting equipment is up north fighting the earlier fires there... SO NO ONE IS FIGHTING THESE FIRES. All the remaining fire dept folks can do is as much structure protection as they can. Scary. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

I'm actually ridiculously close to the Simi Valley fire. The sky is completely overcast by smoke, the smell is pretty bad, and there's light ashes falling. Pretty scary... The new says that we should be fine where we because the fire is heading the other way. From what I understand, we were in worse danger last night. dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Just checking in - We're fine here... but like Dave, we're in some serious smoke and have ash falling. One of my clients had to leave early the other day due to getting a evac order (they live in La Verne, near San Dimas Canyon) and I can't get through to one of my other clients, who lives in Crestline and works at CSUSB. The Cliffhanger resturant is right at the edge of the flames - that thing's been there for years and is a well known landmark - I used to drive past it daily when going to the studio or back home (I used to live in Lake Arrowhead). Pretty scary stuff. The winds are bad, but I've seen much worse. We lost a tree branch yesterday, and my flag was shredded and the staff bent beyond repair. Great - I hate having to burn a flag, but you're not supposed to just throw one away. But I'll definitely be waiting until the winds stop. The idiot who started these fires should be 1) charged with murder and 2) once convicted, have the book thrown at him / her. :mad: I hope everyone else is staying safe.

John, they unfortunately don't have any maps online that show the areas affected. Even the local news hasn't been covering that well enough IMO. The fire started up north of me - near the Lytle Creek area. That's at the base of the San Bernardino mountains, near the Cajon pass - that's where we get all our winds funnelled through. From what I've been able to put together, it's extended out to the San Dimas Canyon area to the west and all the way out to Waterman Canyon / Crestline to the east - which is up near Lake Arrowhead. That's a good thirty to fourty mile area/ :eek: There's a bunch of fires - one nearer to us over near Moreno Valley is pretty much out now, but there's a bunch of new ones down in the San Diego area.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [QB The idiot who started these fires should be 1) charged with murder and 2) once convicted, have the book thrown at him / her. :mad: [/QB][/quote]what's the difference between an arsonist and a terrorist? none that i can see, and both deserve the same fate.

Well, some bad news for me just came in from my son. His grandmother, my ex mother in-law lost everthing in the San Bernardino fire. I was around when they built the house. Tile roof, clean around the area too. Just too freaking hot and too fast. My step daugher from that marriage and her husband are stuck in Big Bear. So far so good but no way to get out right now that I know of. New fire just to the northeast of us too. I heard it was arson too. Bastids...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Kinda makes you wonder why people build and live in these areas, or worse still, when all is said and done they're probably going to rebuild.
You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

[quote]Originally posted by Raymar: [b]Kinda makes you wonder why people build and live in these areas, or worse still, when all is said and done they're probably going to rebuild.[/b][/quote]Well, to a point I agree. With my ex in-law's place I'd never have thought it would be caught up in this let alone get burned to the ground. This is a very nice resedential area with no brush coming up to the back fence that you see so often, and what would normally be considered a very safe distance between the house and any substantial combustibles. Damn, at least 11 lives lost in San Diego County.

Our Joint

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dave Bryce:[/i] I'm actually ridiculously close to the Simi Valley fire. The sky is completely overcast by smoke, the smell is pretty bad, and there's light ashes falling. Pretty scary... The new says that we should be fine where we because the fire is heading the other way. From what I understand, we were in worse danger last night. [/quote]My wife and I were in [b]Dave[/b]'s area last night, and the ash flurries resembled a light snowfall. As we got closer to the fire while driving on the 118 freeway, the glowing flames seemed to flow down the mountain like molten lava. I've never seen anything like it in person! I'm glad that the fire is headed away from Dave's house. Unfortunately for others, it's headed toward the San Fernando Valley. Last night, we were forced to exit the 118 freeway in Simi Valley. Today, the 118 freeway is closed at De Soto (in the San Fernando Valley). About an hour ago, I heard news reports that (San Fernando Valley areas) Chatsworth and Porter Ranch had been added to the endangered list. My area borders Porter Ranch, so I guess I'll have to pay some extra attention to the news tonight. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by the fire. Best, Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm quite a long way from the danger zone, south and/or west of the major fire areas. Still, I went out this morning and my entire car (left innadvertantly outside the garage - doh) was practically buried under ash. The smell of fire is strong in the air. The sky this morning was perhaps the biggest indication of something amiss. It was such a freakish ruby red, it was almost surreal. - Jeff

Wow! I just heard on ESPN that tomorrow night's San Diego Chargers/Miami Dolphins Monday Night Football game has been relocated to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona so that the Chargers' stadium can be used to house people displaced by the fire! Best, Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I just got back from visiting my parents in the Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks area, which is near where Dave Bryce lives. Taking a breath out there felt like you were sitting too close to a fireplace. The sky was eerie, and there were ashes falling like snowflakes all around. We're in the San Fernando Valley area, and one of the fires, as Geoff said, is moving closer (although we're still far away).

They continue to call these fires "OUT OF CONTROL"... Raymar, many of the houses burned in San Diego county were in normal residential suburban areas. Although people in "outlying" areas have been affected, this fire is VERY unusual because of the intrusion into "normal" suburban homes. One acute problem, even if people had cleared appropriate areas of brush around their house, many have Eucalyptus trees. These trees have very "oily" leaves, and once aflame, they "explode" blasting flames from tree to tree a hundred feet above the ground. In addition, much of San Diego and SoCal's topography is hills and canyons... Once the canyon gets on fire it just "rolls along"... It's a mess and it isn't over yet. Thanks for everyone's thoughts... there's not much to do but ride it out and hope we don't have to get evacuated... guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

[quote]Originally posted by Geoff Grace: [b]Wow! I just heard on ESPN that tomorrow night's San Diego Chargers/Miami Dolphins Monday Night Football game has been relocated to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona so that the Chargers' stadium can be used to house people displaced by the fire! Best, Geoff[/b][/quote]Qualcomm Stadium, (where the Chargers play), has been turned into an evacuation area... there are at least a few thousand folks there... and they can't be sure they will be able to go home by tomorrow. The mayor asked the league to cancel the game, and they apparently decided to move it to Phoenix. Virtually all the schools are closed tomorrow, and the mayor and other leaders are urging everyone to stay home tomorrow as well. The 15 freeway, (as well as many other roads), are closed until further notice. I've never heard of this happening here before... it's a real shame. Apparently the airports are closed, and the President has or is expected to declare a Federal Emergency so that Federal help can flow in for the victims. Here's a satellite picture of SoCal showing the fires and smoke... [img]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/images/031026aerial.jpg[/img] guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Archived