Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Californian Fire

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote][i]Originally posted by realtrance:[/i] No recent word from Dave B., or Ken... hope you guys are alright! Hang in there and remember, stuff can be replaced, your lives cannot. Major cities all over the US have been rebuilt and have even improved after serious fires; stay hopeful, and stay ALIVE! Worried, rt[/quote][b]realtrance[/b], I'm okay; and the fire would almost certainly have to get past me to get to [b]Ken[/b]. I'm also pretty sure that the fire is continuing to move away from [b]Dave[/b] as well. Besides, Dave posted in The Keyboard Corner just minutes ago, so I'm sure he's fine. :thu: I know that Ken's area is still miles from the flames. In fact, the fire is at least four miles from me, and it has made very little headway toward our heavily populated San Fernando Valley during the last five hours. The winds have died down considerably, which improves the odds of successfully containing the damage. Don't worry...yet. Best, Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Since I have been involved in several of the fires here in Oregon and I rode past the Glacier Park fire in Montana and fires in Idaho and Washington last summer, I want to wish all who are in any jeopardy at all the best of luck. I hope everybody stays safe and out of danger. Just remember..it's only stuff. Replaceable stuff.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by Geoff Grace: [b] [quote][i]Originally posted by realtrance:[/i] No recent word from Dave B., or Ken... hope you guys are alright! Hang in there and remember, stuff can be replaced, your lives cannot. Major cities all over the US have been rebuilt and have even improved after serious fires; stay hopeful, and stay ALIVE! Worried, rt[/quote][b]realtrance[/b], I'm okay; and the fire would almost certainly have to get past me to get to [b]Ken[/b]. I'm also pretty sure that the fire is continuing to move away from [b]Dave[/b] as well. Besides, Dave posted in The Keyboard Corner just minutes ago, so I'm sure he's fine. :thu: [/b][/quote]Indeed I am. :) Everything's got a nice layer of ash here, but the fire does appear to be moving away from Thousand Oaks/Moorpark. And into the San Fernando Valley. Not good... dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

[quote][i]Originally posted by GZsound:[/i] Just remember..it's only stuff. Replaceable stuff.[/quote][i]([b]GZ[/b], I appreciate your concern, so please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way. This needs to be said though because I want to make sure that people in harm's way consider the following:)[/i] True, it's only stuff; but some of it is irreplaceable. I just finished moving much of my life's work (all that I could easily find) and precious photos into our cars sitting in our driveway. The hard drives of my G4 are in the car; and I'm typing this on my (easy to move) iMac. It's a little unsettling to leave my most cherished belongings in the cars where they are more vulnerable to theft, but there may not be time to pack up the car if we have to move quickly. Man, I'll be glad when this is all over! :freak: Best, Geoff

Living in Australia we are no strangers fires like you're having in California. Our national capital, Canberra, lost 500 homes in a few hours last summer and the prediction is for another bad fire season this summer. I wish you all the best and hope it comes to an end quickly.
"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

Down here in Redondo, there's no fire threat, but the air is still pretty harsh. For those of you in he rest of the country who aren't familiar with the term, "Santa Ana winds" are those that blow from the east, across the desert, and are mainly prevalent in Fall. So, as you could see from the satellite photos posted, all of the smoke is blowing straight in my direction, toward the beach. I'm pretty impervious to "normal" air pollution -- I've grown up in L.A., so you become accustomed to it. But this is causing serious burning eyes, scratchy throat, sinus congestion. Even for those of us not in the path of immediate danger, it still affects literally millions of people in ways. Fires in the Fall, though usually not of this severity, are part of Southern Cal's seasonal weather phenomenon. I've lived here since 1975, though, and I've never seen anything quite this bad. - Jeff

I was listening to this former millitary guy on KLSX(forget which branch) and he was talking about how the military has helicopters designed to put out fires along with pilots, both paid for with our tax dollars, that could've put out those fires days ago but aren't deployed for political reasons. Anybody know more about this?
You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

[quote]Originally posted by Raymar: [b]I was listening to this former millitary guy on KLSX(forget which branch) and he was talking about how the military has helicopters designed to put out fires along with pilots, both paid for with our tax dollars, that could've put out those fires days ago but aren't deployed for political reasons. Anybody know more about this?[/b][/quote]Basically, it's Federal law that no military aircraft can be deployed until [b]ALL[/b] civilian aircraft availability has been depleted. That's where some of the delay came from. Outgoing Governor Davis [b]WAS[/b] on top of this issue and requested the resources as soon as legally possible. That was over the weekend. There was some political crap slung about by some Republicans from San Diego County that made is seem like Davis wasn't doing what he could. As much as I dislike Davis, he did what he could in this situation and, for the first time, actually shows some real concern so I got his back on this one. I hate Republicans too. In reality, those military helos are not the perfect solution and though they would have helped, would not have been able to fly any more than the civilian aircraft could. With the wind down some, all aircraft will be able to fly and there should be some progress in the next couple of days.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by Raymar: [b]I was listening to this former millitary guy on KLSX(forget which branch) and he was talking about how the military has helicopters designed to put out fires along with pilots, both paid for with our tax dollars, that could've put out those fires days ago but aren't deployed for political reasons. Anybody know more about this?[/b][/quote]Unfortunately I can believe that :mad:

[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [QB]Question for the CA guys. There's a rumor going around that Zappa's house with many of the tapes has been burned down. Any word on that out there? Take care of yourselves!![/quote]AFAIK, Zappa lived in the Hollywood hills, which are south of the current danger zone. This rumor also assumes that all of his tapes reside there. Barking Pumpkin records is at the base of the hills in Studio City, on Ventura Blvd. last I looked.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

:) I'm back and I'm o.k. Thanks for everyone who was concerned. I should have left the phone # to my girlfriend's apartment where I fled to but I left in a big hurry. The good news is my house is perfectly intact and avoided any damage. Two short blocks away the houses are destroyed, over 300 of them :( Had the winds not been in my favor it would have been a disaster. I kept seeing the news on Sunday night showing homes that I recognized and I knew that the fire was getting closer and closer. When I left on Sunday morning I only took my paperwork/documents file, two guitars, and my most valuable possession- a box of family photos. What I realized that night was that my beautiful house and all my furniture, music equipment, clothes, etc. just doesn't mean much. I had accepted that it all may have been gone but I felt no real sense of loss. It's a good feeling to know that I am not super attached to my possessions. Sunday night my brother Darin recommended that I call my house to see if my answering machine was still working. Sure enough it was still working and frankly my voice has never sounded better :D For a second I had this image in my head of the whole house burned to the ground except for one table with my answering machine and telephone on it. It's amazing what goes through your mind in stressful situations. :freak: :)

the trippy part is what could happen to lake arrowhead. it's basically a resort city sorrounding a small lake with nothing but pine trees and more pine trees. there are thousands of luxury homes up there. and now there's talk of this thing spreading into the sfv. that's just as crazy. it's a densely packed suburban community. nothing like this has ever happened before, not even the worst of the worst malibu fires (where we lost a house in '93)

Seriously.... maybe i'm a doomsdayer, but i've been wondering all along, [i]what if the fires just keep going and going?[/i] How much fuel is available to them in the SoCal area? Could they continue to burn up everything flammable in the entire state? And then... How's this going to affect the (already dismal) economy in California? In the U.S. as a whole? On the industries in SoCal. Lot of high-tech and biomedical industries down there that a lot of things depend on.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard: [b]Anybody here if the Potrero area, 94 hwy from El Cajon, is hit hard or not? Its right across the border from Tecate.[/b][/quote]Gene, as of this morning that area was ok so your peeps should be fine. The major fire is north of the 8 freeway, running along and mostly north of the 52 and east of the 15 though there are some areas where I know the fire got west of the 15.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

[quote]Originally posted by Dr. Frankenberger: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Geenard: [b]Anybody here if the Potrero area, 94 hwy from El Cajon, is hit hard or not? Its right across the border from Tecate.[/b][/quote]Gene, as of this morning that area was ok so your peeps should be fine. The major fire is north of the 8 freeway, running along and mostly north of the 52 and east of the 15 though there are some areas where I know the fire got west of the 15.[/b][/quote]Thanks Dak.....I hope and pray that this thing gets under control soon. Its medieval.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[b]SteveRB[/b], I'm glad to read that you're okay. We caught a lucky break with the wind as well; and so far, Porter Ranch (and therefore our area nearby) has remained untouched. The fire is still just a few miles away, but it continues to burn in unpopulated areas. I'm just thankful that my biggest problem so far is severe nasal congestion from the smoke. I hope that the firefighters can gain control over all of the fires in southern California today. Here's to our brave and diligent firefighters! :thu: My best to all of you, Geoff

[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b]Seriously.... maybe i'm a doomsdayer, but i've been wondering all along, [i]what if the fires just keep going and going?[/i] How much fuel is available to them in the SoCal area? Could they continue to burn up everything flammable in the entire state? And then... How's this going to affect the (already dismal) economy in California? In the U.S. as a whole? On the industries in SoCal. Lot of high-tech and biomedical industries down there that a lot of things depend on.[/b][/quote]As large of a problem this is... there's no real threat that "California is going to all burn up"... Although this fire intruded terribly into residential suburbs, (and had tragic consequences for the people that died or who had their homes burned to the ground), San Diego was never at risk of "all burning down". Most of the affected acres were in fairly remote areas, and the homes and lives in some areas there are still in danger. The limited fire fighting resources there were are being credited with limiting the impact of the fire in the city areas, and we owe a debt of gratitude to the folks who are still out there fignting through exhaustion to protect our properties. More fire fighting resources are coming, federal help has been approved, and the Cedar Creek fire, (which hit San Diego) is expected to be under control by next Monday. This doesn't mean fires in other areas aren't going to cause suffering and destruction... or that people everywhere can relax. But luckily we aren't seeing the kind of constant Santa Ana wind conditions that would drive the fires so rapidly. There's a huge enconomic and environmental toll to all this. Not to mention the emotional toll on the survivors of the fire and all of us who were concerned about our families and homes. The air quality in San Diego is horribly bad, making it ill advised to venture outside for long. It's a virtual "fog" outside my window, and of course every kind of toxic item in people's homes has been incinerated and pushed into the local atmosphere. According to the weather predictions, we're expecting tomorrow to bring a cold front that should push away the high pressure system currently controling our weather, and an on-shore flow that will drive most of the smoke away... (unfortuately inland toward the desert and eventually other states)... Thousands of people have been dislocated, many have lost their homes, and the rebuilding process will take time and effort. This will all have a negative effect on the economy and productivity of those effected. On the other hand, the trades will "perk-up" as people begin rebuilding hundreds of homes. I'm glad that SteveRB's house survived... And my thoughts go out to everyone who's still wondering about theirs. guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Hello everyone. As Geoff mentioned, I am pretty much in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, and yes, it would have to cut a swath through densely populated areas to get to my house. We're quite safe for now. Geoff is farther up, and closer to the fire, unfortunately, so he must be sucking some major smoke and crud right now. Upon opening the front door this morning, my first breath was similar to breathing while standing close to a campfire. It was not good. There's still a huge, huge cloud to the west. Yesterday around 4:30, the sun was pretty much blotted out. It's awful for everyone near the fire. Dave Bryce and SteveRB must really be getting some bad air. I hope everyone comes out of this okay.

"33 year-old, Sergio Martinez." Yep, that's the name of the guy who started the Cedar fire. "He's been sited for starting a fire in a National Park, and released." RELEASED? Isn't that a little risky? guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Glad to hear the guys on this forum are safe so far... my heart goes out to all those who've suffered from this disaster. I know the jury's still out in some people's minds re: global warming, all I can say is I hope it's not real and that it's not a contributing factor to the intensification of these firestorms. To keep it in perspective, I believe Nathaniel West's novel "Miss Lonelyhearts," written during the age of F. Scott Fitzgerald, concludes with a huge firestorm near/around Los Angeles, so this is unfortunately one of those things that just happens periodically around there. Best of luck to everyone! :wave: rt

Thanks for keeping us informed, Calis, and glad to hear folks are safe so far. I wish I could send the rain the east coast got bombarded with earlier in the year to you guys. We need Superman. Take care and keep letting us know of your status. My prayers are with all of you. - Rim

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Spent all morning cleaning off my cars and pool and house. Looks like somebody dumped a giant ash tray over my property. I'm only a mile or so from Box Canyon right next to the old Chatsworth water shed. For the last few days copters and planes over head and firetrucks ripping down Roscoe going up the back way into Simi. I think it would be hard pressed to make it to my house but....I heard a fireman on the tube say if the winds change this sucker could burn all the way down to the ocean!. that freaks me out. It's the motivation I need to document all I own and get things on order. They are saying it's only 5% contained (Simi/Chatsworth fire). Fortunatly the fire crews are awesome here and have keep the home damage to a minimum, mostly old growth on hillsides that needed to be burned off anyway. You could see that we were rip for this for awhile, everything has been so so dry. the hillsdie looked like all it would take is one discarded cigarette and it would just explode into flames. Arnold is going to have his hands full with this State...
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

I'll say this: I never thought I'd enjoy the (relatively) fresh air of Glendale to where I live!! ;) Back home..............

Archived