Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mr. Bryce - QS7 Question...

Pat Azzarello

Hi Dave - Hopefully you can dig into your memory bank and let me know if, and how I can do this on the QS 7/8...

Background:

To make a long story short, I'm playing live again and it looks like I'm going to take most of my live sounds from a Motif XS rack, driven by two older keyboards (an Alesis QS7 and a Yamaha CS1x). I'm programming multis for each tune, with splits and separate keyboards to play all the parts. I'd like to change patches from the keyboard, not the rack (scrolling would just take too long).

Problem:

When in Multi mode on the Motif rack, it responds to individual patch changes for each part of the multi on the channels that the changes come in on. What I need is to have the ENTIRE multi change. To do that I have to send a separate MIDI message before the actual patch change.

Here's a quote from the Yamaha forum on this:

When you are in MULTI mode, the Motif-Rack XS is set to receive on

16 MIDI channels (one for each of the 16 PARTS) however, if you want

to change the MULTI - so that it recalls all settings, you must send

the following MSB/LSB (Bank Select command)

MSB = 63

LSB = 68

Followed by a Program Change 000-127 (for MULTIS 001 - 128)

When the Motif-Rack XS receives the 063/068 (MSB/LSB) Bank Select

command, it knows to change the entire MULTI.

Is there any way to make this work on my QS7? Or do I need to find a little controller and run the patch changes from that controller???

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'll probably never read this. He'll see the thread title and think it's addressed to his dad or something. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi, Pat -

I don't remember, and am not any place I can check. When I did demos, I manually selected the mix, then let the sequence do the channel PGs.

EDIT: Global menu - MIDI PROGRAM SELECT is the parameter you want, I believe. Value of ON lets each channel get its own PG. Value of any specific channel uses that channel to switch the entire Mix, and all others to switch individual PGs. Should transmit the same, assuming you have the MIDI out settings toggled on for that channel.

He'll probably never read this. He'll see the thread title and think it's addressed to his dad or something. ;)

No doubt. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I have the Motif rack and am aware of the LSB/MSB bank messages you have to generate it to switch the WHOLE multi

AM I correct in assuming you want the Alesis to generate the bank select messages to switch the Motif?

If so

THIS LINK is the users manual and pages 52 and 53 discuss transmitting bank select and program change messages

SENDING AND RECEIVING BANK SELECT MESSAGES

The QS will send and respond to MIDI Bank Select messages in the form of MIDI

Controller 0. The value of Controller 0 determines which bank is to be recalled (User,

Preset 13, GenMIDI, CardA, Card B). A total of 11 banks are accessible between the

cards. The way the QS handles Bank Select messages depends on the MIDI Program

Select mode (Global Edit Mode, page 14):

Unfortunately the midi implementation chart is missing form that document, but just glancing over it, I didn't see where you could write those specific bank messages into a program ..

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Thanks. I have both the QS7 and QS8 manuals (version 1.0 though) at home, and I thought I saw the MIDI implementation chart in there. I'll look again and try to experiment.

There are also some MIDI Solutions boxes that might do the trick, but it would be a bummer to have to spend $125 just to get program change capability. :)

We need to get this working for this guy. ;)

Hey Pat, I've got a Kenton Control Freak Live and Behringer BCN44 out in the garage. The Kenton is a very powerful MIDI control box; the Behringer is small but might be effective. I don't know how complex you're willing to go with this set up.

Also, the Roland RD300GX will be exiting to add to the Kronos fund. Decent MIDI controller with three external zones plus three internal--32 SETUPS. The action is weighted but lighter than most. 36 lbs so it's easy to move around. FYI.

Busch.

I might be missing something but I didnt see specifically where you could WRITE 63/68 into a memory location. I also own a BCN 44 and used it to set the Motif Rack into Multi mode before I bought my cp-33(sold that) and now my PX3 will generate it .

NOTE once you send the Motif rack the initial 63/68 it STAYS in multi mode until powered off. Thus if you write your multis and map the voices and splits into the multi memory locations just a plain program change will call them up without the BANK message preceding it...

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I gotta say I love your garage - It's amazing that I have been there numerous times and never slipped on my own drool...

If you don't mind me borrowing the devices to try out, I'll come by (tonight? tomorrow?). Having the faders is an extra plus as well.

BTW - I've been spending a lot of time with the Motif and with the exception of the multi change issue it's really starting to come together.

I'll keep the Roland in mind as well, though I think I need to have some time to make some money in this band before I buy too much... or I'll end up living in a tent in your back yard.

FYI - I may end up turning over my paycheck to you, but I won't be able to include the health benefits. :)

Pat this slipped my mind.

I have used my IPHONE with a Line6 Midi Mobilizer Hardware dongle with their free software, which is a midi recorder.

I recorded the midi output of my keyboard as it sent the proper LSB.MSB message and saved it as a file on the Iphone.

Then all I had to do at the gig was connect the output of the mobilizer to the input of the Motif rack , send the file from the line6 app, disconnect the iphone and connect my other midi cables.

I had, like you, created the Multi program instruments I wanted and just used a PC message from the controlling keyboard to change the correct multi.

now if I had a power outage or glitch, which was rare, had to hook up the iphone mobilizer again ,,

So this is a moot point if you dont have a smart phone or ipad..

was just another solution

SpaceStation V3,

MIDI Mobilizer RuLeZ.

dB

Perhaps we could have a Keyboard Mag hints and tips article with some of the uses for the Mobilizer like umm mine for instance (unabashed kissing -up)???

SpaceStation V3,

MIDI Mobilizer RuLeZ.

dB

Perhaps we could have a Keyboard Mag hints and tips article with some of the uses for the Mobilizer like umm mine for instance (unabashed kissing -up)???

'tis Dr. Fortner's direction in which that kissing up should be directed...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I might be missing something but I didnt see specifically where you could WRITE 63/68 into a memory location. I also own a BCN 44 and used it to set the Motif Rack into Multi mode before I bought my cp-33(sold that) and now my PX3 will generate it .

As I look through the manual MSB/LSB PC is the first MIDI Data type that the BNC44 can send. Looks to me like it can do it fine.

Set to PC, assign MIDI channel, MSB, LSB, PC

Busch.

PAT , did you find a solution????

SpaceStation V3,

Ended up with a BCN44, providing by Bill . After some redirection (due to a bad assumption on my part), I got it setup and it works well.

The only remaining optimization I have would be to have the XS Rack respond to the patch changes on Ch 2 instead of ch 1 (I'd like to make the program changes from my second keyboard because it has a 10-key pad + Enter so I can set it, then quickly execute it by hitting enter). Looking through the manual I can't find a way to set it... Maybe there's something I can do with Sysex.

Archived