Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-300NX

Jazz+

January 13th, 2011

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1150&ParentId=87

Video demo available at the above link

38 lbs. 10 oz.

* SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine

* New E. Piano sounds based on SuperNATURAL technology

* Innovative Sound Focus feature ensures that every note will be heard in the mix without compressing or coloring the sound

* New Ivory Feel-G Keyboard with Escapement

* Intuitive U/I: new One Touch Piano feature and graphic LCD

* Hundreds of high quality built-in sounds

* Optional RPU-3 triple-pedal unit

http://inc.440network.com/img/?q=2KOdW7CsYG%2B0h%2Bfb0JSarUh07Z%2Bon6VDo56drNnH4NDKkZimm6zjyJmk3ltnc0ii3oey3KVVb1tfcq2ZmaTo&ext=.jpg

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I updated from the RD 300SX to the GX two years ago. Made sense and I'm glad I did.

I may upgrade again to the NX but hopefully this is one keyboard that my local music stores will have on the floor to demo. I've figured I'd have to go out of pocket around 700.00 to upgrade and I need to be sure it's really worth it.

edwall.biz

• 3 weeks later...

I spent some quality time on an SN-upgraded 700GX yesterday. LOVED the sound, and the action was for the most part cool, but I couldn't retrigger notes quickly enough. (I have relatively wimpy digits, and I suppose that action has a longer throw than I'm used to.)

Anyway, I'd be really curious to know how the 300NX action compares when someone here can get their paws on one.

-John

I make software noises.

I played the RD300NX at NAMM and the action did not seem all that different than on the 700NX.

The keys felt the same for the most part.... it was the ivory feel type that has been on the 700 for a while.

The essential acoustic and electric piano sounds of the 700NX seemed to be in the 300NX too.

I have a 300 GX and I really like the electric pianos on that. The new Rhodes patches on the NX seem to be a bit "raspy" to my ear. There is just something about the warmth and fullness of the Rhodes on the 300 GX that I prefer. The NX Wurli seems to be similar to the GX.

I have really enjoyed the Ep's on the 300 GX and they would be hard to give up for an improvement on the acoustics of the 300NX. One thing I have liked about the 300 GX is that the EP's sound good all the way up into the upper registers.

But the Super Natural sample is tempting in the 300NX. I will have to wait till they show up in stores to know more.

From what I could tell though, the RD300NX would have most of what I would need, and at a good price.I think Roland may have a winner here.

I updated from the RD 300SX to the GX two years ago. Made sense and I'm glad I did.

I may upgrade again to the NX but hopefully this is one keyboard that my local music stores will have on the floor to demo. I've figured I'd have to go out of pocket around 700.00 to upgrade and I need to be sure it's really worth it.

edwall.biz

I am a Rd700GX1 owner & gave the NX1 a spin on headphones. I went thru the AP patches. I noticed that Roland made the NX1 AP's brighter-I know this can be adjusted/changed for one's prefs.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• 5 years later...

Hello everyone. I was wondering what the 4 screws on the back panel of the RD300nx are for. I've noticed that most of the Roland pianos don't have options for music stands. But no one has ever mentioned what those screws on the back are for (they are typically where all the other brand keyboards have their screws for a music stand) and the manual doesn't mention anything about them either. I've included a picture so you all can see what I'm asking about. Thanks!

http://www.dj-store.ru/data/gallery_photos/img/50102_roland-rd-300nx-photo.jpg

A wild-assed guess:

If you look at the back of the GX . . . rd_700gx_back_gal.jpg

You can see that those screws seem to secure the SRX expansion card ports. I assume that, even though the NX series did away with the expansion capabilities, the interior PCBS and supporting structure still relies on those screws to keep things secure.

. . . or I'm totally wrong. It'd be the first time, though. ;)

Archived