Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey Keys

StanC

This AM I saw an ad for an local act where a Stevie Wonder impersonator was using a Peavey DPM C8. I must be under a rock cause I didn't know Peavey made keyboards. But I thought it strange that topic didn't come up on this forum - at least not recently. So YES of course I GOOGLED it!! :thu:Sweetwater, MF, GC came up, but the links led only to Peavey Amps. I did find an owner's manual however.

So not that I am in the market or would want to buy one, but just for curiosity wonder how they stack up? Anybody try or use one?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The C8 was great. The only other controller around that time that was equal IMO was the FATAR Studio 2001. Both were very capable. As you go through the manual for the C8, you'll see how cool it was. Keep in mind that the C8 was designed in a time when keyboard players had multiple keyboard rigs and racks of hardware synth modules. You won't find mention of VST's from that era. But as a true MIDI keyboard controller, it was terrific.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

It was a long ago Peavey did keyboards - I think the last DPM-series came out the end of the 90's.

Anyway - AFAIK know they only did midi controller keyboards, however very serious midi controllers, and a bunch of different sample players / rompler modules (and a dedicated organ module!) and no keyboards with built in sounds. So whatever sounds you heard on that concert - they weren't coming from the Peavey.

Here's a Sound on sound article about the DPM C8.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Wasn't it the DPM 3 or 4 synth that had the tag-line "Making obsolescence obsolete" ?

Now it's just plain obsolete.

I thought those Peavey synths were kind of cool ideas for the time, though. Having a totally rewritable OS wasn't as commonplace then as it is now.

Cool idea...I just never really dug the sound, though. A friend of mine was an endorsee and really loved the stuff. I liked the C8 quite a bit (other than the weight...)

Oh, I never heard of the DPM3 - was it any good? :) I guess not too many units made it to Europe. Anyone has a clue of how many DPM3's where made? Also - a bit of "googleing" tells me there was a DPM4 update as well. Anyone here ever used a DPM3/4?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I used to sell the DPM series back in the late 80's/early 90's... it was a great idea, but (as hindsight shows us) obsolescence is based not only technology, but business decisions. :freak:

Yes, planned obsolescence is a big part of business strategy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I had the DPMs, a C8P, and still have the rack sampler.

Did you know Peavey sold the GEM Pro1 for a bit? I purchased one from a Peavey dealer. Still have it, but the keybed doesnt tranmit midi to the internal sounds or the outside world.SO its 80 lbs of doorstop.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I used to sell the DPM series back in the late 80's/early 90's... it was a great idea, but (as hindsight shows us) obsolescence is based not only technology, but business decisions. :freak:

Yes, planned obsolescence is a big part of business strategy.

The problem is that, in this case, I don't think the obsolescence was planned; it was strategic, yes. ;)

I had the DPMs, a C8P, and still have the rack sampler.

Did you know Peavey sold the GEM Pro1 for a bit? I purchased one from a Peavey dealer. Still have it, but the keybed doesnt tranmit midi to the internal sounds or the outside world.SO its 80 lbs of doorstop.

Yes, and a real shame that was. Prior to Generalmusic Corp (U.S. GEM distributor) handling distribution here, Peavey was contracted to distribute the GEM professional products consisting of the SK76/88/760/880 arranger-workstation series, the Pro1 and Pro 2 digital pianos and the absolute coolest keyboard called the Equinox. Unfortunately Peavey was the wrong company for these types of products and the never got off the ground. "Sorry for venting. Now back to your regularly scheduled program".

added: Come to think of it, Genralmusic Corp didn't have much better luck at distribution. :) Thought I'd throw that in before anyone else got to it.

One more thing, musicman100, can't be that much wrong with it. Why don't you get the Pro1 repaired?

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Dave, there's no repair shop locally that I know of..and too expensive to ship it off for repair

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Dave, there's no repair shop locally that I know of..and too expensive to ship it off for repair

Any keyboard service tech should be able to work on it. I can send you the service manual if that would help. You could open it up yourself and at least check for loose connections. Does the instrument respond to incoming MIDI? If so, the problem may not be huge. Not too much to go wrong with the keybed other than worn or dirty contact strips or broken key weights; both of which can still be fixed. Drop me an e-mail if you want to discuss this further so we're not tying up forum space.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Dave:

Your willingness to help long after you lost your job working for the guys goes to show all of us what a great sales/tech guy you really are. And it also demonstrates to me that I misjudged you when you first started posting here. Its not the first time I've been wrong. :( Have a great holiday season Dave. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Any keyboard service tech should be able to work on it. I can send you the service manual if that would help. You could open it up yourself and at least check for loose connections. Does the instrument respond to incoming MIDI? If so, the problem may not be huge. Not too much to go wrong with the keybed other than worn or dirty contact strips or broken key weights; both of which can still be fixed. Drop me an e-mail if you want to discuss this further so we're not tying up forum space.

Best Regards,

Dave

PM SENT

SpaceStation V3,

Thanks Mike. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dave:

Your willingness to help long after you lost your job working for the guys goes to show all of us what a great sales/tech guy you really are. And it also demonstrates to me that I misjudged you when you first started posting here. Its not the first time I've been wrong. :( Have a great holiday season Dave. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Archived