Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Head is Hurting from Banging it Repeatedly

Al the Piano Guy

Hi everyone. Another, new guy here. I've been reading posts here for better than a year and I finally made the move to join the outfit. This is a great site. The knowledge base, the fellowship and the humor here are great. Thanks in advance for letting me come on board.

My current struggle with my Roland JV-90. It's on the upper tier above my Yamaha P-155 and has become my rehearsal keyboard for the neo-retiree garage band I recently joined. In all its life I never used more that a few tweaked patches in the user bank or several I downloaded longer ago than I can remember. This past weekend I found a freeware library/editor called JSynthLib and in unsuccessful explorations in it I wiped out the user bank patches. In these same recent searches I have also found patch files (most in SysEx format, including JV factory patches) and MidiOx, which I have downloaded. BTW, ChangeIt, another JV specific program, does not seem compatible with any JV synths earlier than the JV1080. I'm generally pretty good with minimally documented software. MidiOx seems fairly well documented both in its own site, and from archive searches (including KC!!), but although I see data streaming and hex code populating the sysex windows, nothing's getting to my JV's user bank. My head is hurting from banging it repeatedly against the wall. Any suggestions? Now resuming head-banging and further web searching. Thanks

Al, the Piano Guy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be able to check the Device ID in the MIDI menu on the JV-90. Once you do that, if you can read the SysEx going to it in Hex format on your editor, then the first several Bytes should be:

F0 (Begin Sys Ex)

41 (Manufacturer ID for Roland)

DEV (this will be the device ID entered in the JV-90)

46 (Model ID for JV-90)

then a whole bunch of bytes ending with F7.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks for the responses, and sorry for getting back to you this late. Dan's info helped a lot. Now at least the JV listens to the Sysex coming at it via MidiOx, but then stops with a check sum error - even when using files that were sysex dumps from the JV I saved myself. And I was able to download a PDF of the user manual and with my new learnings, could make some sense. All in all, the combination of an old synth, uncertain "freeware", and my own shortcomings with programming have made me decide to throw in then towel - probably. Which brings to mind the trap technology often catches me in. Instead of screwing around with this old synth and vague software and my abilities, I could have been working on my playing skills. Hmmm. But I'm a sucker for technology and sound. Rminds me of the tragedy back in the 70's when one of the early commercial jumbo jets crashed in the Florida Everglades. I recall the cause was reported to be due to the crew getting so consumed by something going on with the new flight control system that they didn't realize that the plane was flying downward. It's a good thing I'm not a pilot.

Thanks again, and see you soon.

Al, the Piano Guy

Thanks Bill. Your tip helped a lot. At least I now have the original factory patches and not just a bunch of intitial sounds. But for some reason I'm still not able to dump and reload even my own synths's patches via Midi-Ox. Obiously I'd like to have more than just the factory patches, but not so much that I'm willing to spend money on a commerical ed/lib product for such an old synth. This will be my last call for any further suggestions. This horse is way past dead.

Thanks again.

Al, the Piano Guy

Archived