Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Henry's earth-shattering announcement...

picker

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems no one at Gibson got the memo that most of us players are pretty traditional/conservative in our instruments and amps.

Sure, we like new toys and gadgets, but the majority of players gravitate toward the old standards, by which everything else is judged.

Proving once again, that Gibson is way out of touch. Instead of filling the market with proven designs, they feel that they should dictate what we want- kinda like the music industry as a whole has done for years.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Earth-shattering! Revolutionary! A game changer!

Nothing will ever be the same again. This really has changed everything, for from now on Gibson will cease to be taken seriously as a purveyor of fine professional musical instruments.

Scott Fraser

I know I'm a new person just for having heard about it. I'm gonna go out on street corners and hand out tracts for this revolutionary change to music! All will bow to the Firebird X!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Personally I have a couple of compression fractures in my back from a bike accident and would welcome a light-weight Gibson. While I sometimes use a 74 Les Paul Custom the bottom line is that it's like having a boat anchor around my neck.

I don't buy them because they look nice - that's my wife's job when she orders furniture...so IMHO it's ok if it's ugly as long as it gets the job done.

On the other hand $5,600 is absurd and it appears that Gibson's "new" management is out to fleece us "Boomers" - just like the car companies still into horsepower races.

Appears that Gibson is no longer selling just the guitar - they are selling features and options to players with $$$. Like we all need GPS to go to the mall ???

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Personally I have a couple of compression fractures in my back from a bike accident and would welcome a light-weight Gibson. While I sometimes use a 74 Les Paul Custom the bottom line is that it's like having a boat anchor around my neck.

I don't buy them because they look nice - that's my wife's job when she orders furniture...so IMHO it's ok if it's ugly as long as it gets the job done.

On the other hand $5,600 is absurd and it appears that Gibson's "new" management is out to fleece us "Boomers" - just like the car companies still into horsepower races.

I'm still waiting for the link to open up,sigh. Bartholomew, have you heard of the DARE strap? It is a "double strap" that goes over both shoulders. It doesn't look rock-n-roll but it does help distribute the weight of a guitar over both shoulders instead of just one. I've been using them for about a year now and they've really helped with some left shoulder problems I've benn having. Don't know if it will help with your condition but it might be worth a shot.

You can order them through Planet Waves.

www.darestrap.com

By the way, what the heck is "Pure-Analog Digital Signal Processing (DSP) engine"? Is it digital or analog or an analog version of a digital processor (whatever that is, remember this is a game changing, revolutionary guitar) or is it a digital processor that thinks it is actually analog? Will this guitar need frequent counseling to deal with an identity crisis?

I prefer the "reverse" firebird body style. I think I'll sit out this revolution.

Henry's giving us the 'Bird!

I'm no Luddite, but that thing just seems like overkill - and it's God-awful ugly, and I say that as someone who once owned a Gibson Corvus. It also violates what I call 'Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics', which says, in essence, 'Something's Gotta Give'. There are just too many things in that guitar that can go wrong - things that most guitar techs won't be able to address - and did I mention that it's really ugly?

I think part of the problem is Gibson's perception that they can create an instant classic, just by telling us that they have - kind of like the iPad. They tried it with the digtal Les Paul, and the Robot Guitars, and too much crap going too far back in memory to list them all. "We've made the coolest thing in the Guitar Universe, and you must have it!" Well, actually, no. If I had the money for the Firebird X, I'd go buy a nice US-made PRS, or a Gibson EDS-1275, and if I had any cash left over, I might look into that cool Axe-FX system, or a new Mac - but I wouldn't buy the Firebird X.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Ho-

-leee

crap... !!

W o w . . .

Taking a cue from Kyle Bush, Henry J. smashed a Les Paul in front of an audience before he introduced this guitar:

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/Firebird-X/Splash-01.jpg

WTF?! What is this double-talk bull$4!t that these liars are spewing?

"Fast Playing Physical Guitar"? Oh- so you actually get a "physical guitar"? What a refreshing change! :rolleyes:

"Pure-Analog Digital"? Analog Digital??! What the Hell are they trying to pull over on inexperienced buyers?

:confused::cop::facepalm:

"$5,570...for the professional...and the aspiring enthusiast"?! Yeeeeaah, LOADS of "aspiring enthusiasts" need to spend the better part of $6k on a guitar... :rolleyes:

"Very Light, Ultra Comfortable and Fast Playing Physical Guitar"

"...turbo-charged Pure-Analog Digital Signal Processing..."

"$5,570 msrp" - "...for the professional player and the aspiring enthusiast..."

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

It seems no one at Gibson got the memo that most of us players are pretty traditional/conservative in our instruments and amps.

Sure, we like new toys and gadgets, but the majority of players gravitate toward the old standards, by which everything else is judged.

Proving once again, that Gibson is way out of touch. Instead of filling the market with proven designs, they feel that they should dictate what we want- kinda like the music industry as a whole has done for years.

Gibson has been siting on their name for........EVER. :facepalm:

The worst place to work in America and their prices are ridiculous as is their QC. I am TRULY amazed they are still in business. Who would have thought that the Japanese now make better quality instruments?

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

i saw this the other day...oh man, where to start!

i like to think that i'm open minded, but....!!!!!

i'm all for trying something new, but.........!!!!!!!!!!

i hate to sound like a snob, but..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Yes, a Corvus 2, in red - it was awful. No mass, no tone, no real point that I could see. I originally bought it for my wife, because it was cheap ($140 US), small-bodied and extremely lightweight. Nothing about it said 'Gibson', except the logo on the headstock. Considering that it was made in the mid-80's, one suspects that . . . how to put this . . . possibly someone's judgment was impaired when they came up with the Corvus. Possibly one of the worst guitars ever made - I did, however, sell it for $400, around a year ago. Turns out the stupid thing is 'collectible' now. In that regard, I can't really complain. I'm still not buying the Firebird X - unless I see one for $140.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Why does Gibson keep designing very expensive guitars for people who don't/can't play guitar?

I just don't understand who they think represents their market share... a dedicated guitarist doesn't want a swiss army knife, anymore than a dedicated audiophile wants an all in one stereo.

I've cracked up at the "only a Gibson is good enough" ads in non-guitar publications for years, I guess they're trying to get a share of the affluent "buy a lifestyle" market.

Sure, you all mock it now... But just wait a year or two, when they introduce the Slash Signature Appetite For Destruction Firebird X- you know, the one that can sound just like the guitars he used on that "old" album - for a low price of $6700.

And don't think they won't.

I'm all for Gibson trying to break new ground, or make upgrades to a classic design. But this one? To me, it looks like a hodge-podge of parts. Good parts, but none of them seem to go together. And the price? Fuggedaboutit.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived