Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orange Combo amps

Dannyalcatraz

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking more about their sound as an amp, not as an effects simulator.

I'm looking for a high-quality small/low wattage combo amp to practice with, and I've always enjoyed the Orange sound...but I'm not in the market for one of their Rockerverbs or Tiny Terrors right now.

I'm open to suggestions, FWIW.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

The less expensive solid state Orange amps look cooler than the other amps of the same wattage, but they don't sound much different from them. It's a solid state practice amp, and sounds like one.

But they are cool-looking...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The less expensive solid state Orange amps look cooler than the other amps of the same wattage, but they don't sound much different from them. It's a solid state practice amp, and sounds like one.

But they are cool-looking...

That's been my experience with the little Vox amps as well. Look very cool, & hugely nostalgic to a former Super Beatle owner, but sound like what you may imagine a 15 watt solid state Chinese practice to sound like.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I jammed with a guy who had one. Both of us thought my Digitech GNX3000 sounded better.

Through what? What amp or PA or what?

I run it through the effects return of my POS Yamaha amp from the 80s. One of these days I'm going to pick up a QSC K8 and my conversion to an ultra-portable rig will be complete.

I jammed with a guy who had one. Both of us thought my Digitech GNX3000 sounded better.

Through what? What amp or PA or what?

I run it through the effects return of my POS Yamaha amp from the 80s. One of these days I'm going to pick up a QSC K8 and my conversion to an ultra-portable rig will be complete.

I've used a DigiTech GNX4 through stereo PA's before, both by itself (but with a bunch of cool pedals in front of it), and in parallel to a cranked-up tube-amp.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm thinking more about their sound as an amp, not as an effects simulator.

Wasn't suggesting that you should get a modeler... just relating my experience that I was expecting an amp (even a small practice amp) from a big name like Orange to blow my modeler away, and it got blown away instead.

VHT Special 6.

Handwired 6 watt 6V6 amp, right? I bet it'll bury a 10-15watt SS amp.

Holy crap, that looks to be a lot of cool amp for the money! :cool::rawk:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I use a Vox Pathfinder 15R to practice. At practice levels, the amp has a warm tube like sound and works well with pedals. I never use the boost button and at louder than practice levels, it sounds like a SS amp. I also have a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 15 watt SS amp that also sounds good at practice levels. It has the best clean sound I've heard in a SS amp.

I got an Orange Crush 10 for my niece. It is the smallest one.

It comes with a 6" spkr and it had some awesome crunch and nice warm cleans.

It wouldn't take much skill to wire it up to a 12".

I liked it. I would try another ( though I prefer tubey amps)

But for $70 ( slightly used) it is really a good practice amp .

Archived