Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tele project question

harvey

Hi there,

I've got a tele body that's been routed for a tune o matic style bridge and has an angled neck joint.

I want to put on a tele bridge. Other than getting the saddles high enough to counter the angled neck are there any other issues that this idea poses?

cheers

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could shim the neck - use a shallow wedge-shaped shim to bring the neck up to near-straight. This would minimise your bridge problems.

As to how to manufacture the shim..................... :confused:

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

You COULD have a competent woodworker/machinist (VERY competent!) carefully mill the body's neck-pocket to a shallower angle, and correspondingly shorten the neck-bolts... Or have said person make a shim as suggested by The Geoff (duly noted, Sir! :D ) above here...

:confused: Just curious, Harv'- since the body's already so routed, why do you want to go to the trouble of hammering this square-peg-to-round-hole together? It would certainly be easier, and even cheaper than most of your options, to just put it all together with a T-o-M... ? Perhaps a TonePros lockable specimen, and/or titanium saddles, or all titanium T-o-M, for added bite and harmonics that would endear it to a Tele lover...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Usually I stay outta hardware discussions but this is an interesting situation !

First we could spend a lotta time wondering what went into the plan to take the most simple, plank-like guitar & reset it this way.

Next we could wonder (as C O'S above) about the cost-effectiveness of counteracting that adjustment..

Do you just not like that neck angle ?

Why/how'd you get this item ?

d=halfnote

Hey thanks, guys!

okay...some more info is in order. A while back I bought a second hand tele body...cheap,but solid alder...black with a dorky checkerboard pattern.I think it likely came from an inexpensive imported guitar. It was already routed for the t-o-m and the angled neck. Thought it would be fun to start a little project on. Here's the thing:

* I really like an angled neck joint...works well for me.

* I would happily set it up with a T-o-M but I really want that tele twang.

* I already have a fender 6 saddle tele bridge.

@ the Geoff: love your new title! I should have explained that I want to keep the angle.

@ Caev aka dww: nice oct 31 moniker! titanium sounds interesting!

Would it twang-shang-alang?

@ Zan: lol! actually wouldn't mind one o them thangs on some kind of axe! it's been a while between divebombs.

@ dbm: if the saddle pins can't get high enough you could be onto something.

@ d: your wonderings helped me clarify my position.

cheers!

Guitar Speak Podcast

I think that if you go with quality T-o-M hardware and the set-up is done well, it'll be as twangy as your pickups and touch can deliver. I used to be able to get a really cool Tele impersonation out of a Les Paul with P-90s, so the T-o-M bridge and stop-bar tailpiece shouldn't get in the way of such sounds...

Are you going with a Tele type bridge-pickup here?

Aluminum or Titanium saddles and/or bridge and tailpiece hardware will enhance the brightness and twang.

May I also suggest a set of DR "Tight Fit" 10's?

And... a Tele through a good compressor pedal is Heavenly! (My Les Paul isn't nearly as cool with a compressor; Tele pickups and compressors are just a magic combination.)

I think that if you go with quality T-o-M hardware and the set-up is done well, it'll be as twangy as your pickups and touch can deliver. I used to be able to get a really cool Tele impersonation out of a Les Paul with P-90s, so the T-o-M bridge and stop-bar tailpiece shouldn't get in the way of such sounds...

Are you going with a Tele type bridge-pickup here?

Aluminum or Titanium saddles and/or bridge and tailpiece hardware will enhance the brightness and twang.

May I also suggest a set of DR "Tight Fit" 10's?

And... a Tele through a good compressor pedal is Heavenly! (My Les Paul isn't nearly as cool with a compressor; Tele pickups and compressors are just a magic combination.)

yup definitely want to go with a tele type pickup - any suggestions for something loud and quiet. Has anyone tried a stacked tele bridge p/up?

what's with the DR's?

i've never used compression until recently trying a smidge here and there...like it!

Guitar Speak Podcast

A pickup with loud, quiet Tele twang? I have a very good, very fussy and particular (regarding gear) friend who plays a Tele, among several excellent axes, and he's loved and gotten many years out of a pair of Kinman "vintage Broadcaster"-voiced AlNiCo-magnet noiseless pickups. His recordings, whether at-home or from live performances, sound completely "Telecaster" and "single-coil", except for the lack of hum and noise.

The DRs? Some of their string-types use a round-core instead of the usual hex-core, and I just love their feel and punch; I use their "Pure Blues" pure/solid nickel-wound strings on my Les Paul; their "Tight Fit" strings are the same design, but with nickel-plated steel wound strings (like most modern strings, but on round-cores for the wound-strings), which have a brighter, twangier, slightly scooped tone with deeper bass and higher treble in comparison to the solid-nickel ones. Nice 'n' growly, and they'll bring the twang. I figure they'd suit your stated mission to a "T", particularly in a set of "tens".

I've got a beautiful little Home Brew Electronics Compressor-Retro (HBE CPR) compressor-pedal; it doesn't do very well with my Les Paul, but when I plugged a Telecaster into it, it was magic!

OK - I mad a fixed tele bridge out of Floyd parts. I think it's awesome... Certainly not traditional, but full of twang and never out of tune! One of the things I encountered was a necessity to raise the bridge. I did it with stacking washers under the bridge plate...

OK you can laugh now... :-)

It works?!?!?

OK - I mad a fixed tele bridge out of Floyd parts. I think it's awesome... Certainly not traditional, but full of twang and never out of tune! One of the things I encountered was a necessity to raise the bridge. I did it with stacking washers under the bridge plate...

It works?!?!?

Why laugh? What works, works- the proof is in the pudding (just watch out for Bill Cosby). Rock 'n' Roll!

yup definitely want to go with a tele type pickup - any suggestions for something loud and quiet. Has anyone tried a stacked tele bridge p/up?

I like Duncan vintage stacks easy to find. They work for me. Brent Mason used to use also... I guess he still does.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It works?!?!?

we need pictures!!!

Guitar Speak Podcast

They aren't stacked, but Joe Barden p/ups Joe Bardin p/ups sound mighty good and very Tele-ish, at least Danny Gatton thought so. At the price they want, they'd better.

I've always been impressed by the sound of Kent Armstrong Pickups. But, I don't think the make a stacked tele.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

It works?!?!?

we need pictures!!!

Custom Tele Floyd Hybrid Bridge

Here you go.

http://api.ning.com/files/S5ia8pdWCqlPr-rDeamV6AT8OJhQHyOjvFo3zjrBqnROYBd88v-FqqQKIxLjOavf/IMAG02372.jpg

It works?!?!?

we need pictures!!!

Custom Tele Floyd Hybrid Bridge

Here you go.

http://api.ning.com/files/S5ia8pdWCqlPr-rDeamV6AT8OJhQHyOjvFo3zjrBqnROYBd88v-FqqQKIxLjOavf/IMAG02372.jpg

very cool! kept the d-tuna (or hipshot?) too...nice. Is that one of your wide necks? Would you ever try bigger? Warmoth have a 1 7/8 now.

Guitar Speak Podcast

Yes - 59 Roundback contour, 9.5" Radius, 24 Frets, 1.75" nut, quartered rock maple, no finish...

I would love to play a 1 7/8 necks and would probably love it. However, it might make $900 in custom necks I already own undesirable if I like it to much... So, I'll probably shouldn't try it!

Yes - 59 Roundback contour, 9.5" Radius, 24 Frets, 1.75" nut, quartered rock maple, no finish...

I would love to play a 1 7/8 necks and would probably love it. However, it might make $900 in custom necks I already own undesirable if I like it to much... So, I'll probably shouldn't try it!

Could always shim your hand...

"Shim", is that what the kids are calling it these days?!?!? Not so much lately, but prolly 12-15 times daily in my teens...

Could always shim your hand...

Archived