Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: The Official FIFA World Cup 2010 Thread

MAJUSCULE

I like the "soccer horns" the S. African fans are blowing.. I tend to tune it out. Yes it's aggravating and grating for most people, but it's suppossed to be. It's there home field advantage. Much like the chanting/singing and drum beating is in Europe.

I hear the players and coaches are losing there minds because they can't get signals across during games, so I get that something should be done, but they wanted the games here, and this comes with the territory.

I say keep the vuvuzela soccer horns in, but ONLY use them for the matches that S. Africa is playing in.

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who can't stand the vuvuzelas, Waves have introduced their new Vuvuzela Noise Reduction software. No kidding.

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=5798

:laugh:

I need to score that! :)

BTW: Does anybody else wish Alexi Lalas wasn't an ESPN studio commentator? There are better American Soccer commentators IMO.

Certainly he knows soccer (football) but him trying to pose as a peer for the likes of True Soccer Stars (Ruud Gullit, Jürgen Klinsmann, etc) is frankly laughable.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

North Korea! Solid defending! Whoa!

What did you guys think of Maicon's goal? I'm kind of blaming the ball. It may have just been luck of the strike, but he definitely wasn't trying for that. Was it the shitty air friction coming into play on the Jabulani?

Robinho's through ball to Elano was totally beautiful, though.

Sure, Maicon hit 'n' hoped but it came off spectacularly! Check where he was looking when he hit the ball: no accident there.

And although I'm a longtime Brazil fan, I don't begrudge NK that goal at all; it was thoroughly deserved. The scorer's gonna be a national hero - unless he hits an own goal next time. :laugh:

Another intriguing prospect is whether NK will use that same strategy against Portugal and the Ivory Coast. If it's anywhere near as effective, they'll have found a way to neutralize lesser teams, cos those tactics were rehearsed to a T. Good game.

Didn't get to watch the Brazil vs. NK game. But, the Maicon goal was unbelievably beautiful -- this from a back!

NK should do well against Ivory Coast and Portugal. That's one very very tough group. The two teams who come out of that group will have well deserved it.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs361.snc3/23337_437351415151_751730151_5808607_1940049_n.jpg

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Enjoyed watching Argentina this morning. Man, I wish Maradona could hop back in there and play.

I am a fan of S. Korea, but they looked thoroughly over-matched this morning. Argentina handle the ball very well. I see them getting to the semis at least.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

What did you guys think of Maicon's goal? I'm kind of blaming the ball. It may have just been luck of the strike, but he definitely wasn't trying for that. Was it the shitty air friction coming into play on the Jabulani?

Good question - Lots of folks here think luck played a bit part, some even said he meant to cross over but it went towards the goal instead. I thought he meant to do that, but who knows.

Lousy performance from Brazil in general, anyhow. I almost fell asleep on the first half. Brilliant players in their native teams but can't work together once they are put into a national team. Same old story...

Glad for Mexico 2 x France 0 - happy to see bad sportmanship rewarded with a crappy performance on the world cup. Referring to the goal that France scored with their hands on the last elimination match against Ireland. Should have been Ireland in the world cup. Rant over.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Yeah! France!! What a waste of talent these guys. They have so much individual talent on that team but just can't seem to put anything together. Although I didn't see the game, I am sure that Mexico well deserved the 2:0 result.

aL

Ooo, France shit the bed. Oh, did they ever suck. Man. Goodbye any chance at the knockouts. God. It seems like just a catastrophic combination of things leads to not a single player being able to play properly. I mean, this is past just Domenech sucking, this is everyone on the squad. Boy.

That goal by Maicon reminded me of this one:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j1Z-0ZMM5Q

Maicon's may have been a lucky shot, but who cares? I thought Argentina played well today, they look like strong contenders for the finals.

I feel sorry for my Nigerian brethren, what a dramatic way to lose. But I'm happy for Mexico! They showed spirit, and deserved to win just for that.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Totally classic, Zeph. I think I just hate the Jabulani, though. van Basten scored that with an Azteca, or a varition of such-the best ball to have ever touched the pitch. I'm blaming every single high cross, sliced shot and weird bounce on this shitty new technology.

Agreed. The Jabulani sucks. Did you see the first goal by Uruguay against South Africa. That ball has some weird trajectory falling in behind the keeper!!! Sure it hit off the South African defender, but still!!!

[video:youtube]

Several other balls just look weird (USA's goal against England, and Slovenia's goal against Algeria, and several others).

Sometimes the ball almost reminds me of those inflatable irregularly-shaped beach balls you get from WalMart. You kick it and it moves around in the air like it's got a mind of its own.

But the ball did not seem to bother Argentina and Germany much, though. Just sayin'

Sure, but did you see that the RSA keeper doesn't even move????

I dunno!! Sure looks like the ball under some circumstances does funny things. I never really thought about it, but, the stitching does affect the way the ball behaves in the air. And, as I understand it, the Jabulani's stitching pattern is unusual and/or never been used before!!

Mexico France was awesome watch. Way to go Mexico, very proud of our N. American neighbors. And who likes the French? Pretty horrible coaching if you ask me.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived