Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are your opinions on Hanon?

Gary75

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... each, both start with the unusual "cy" combination

Makes me wonder what ever happened to Cydonia.

The polar bears in his front yard may explain his sudden disappearance, but that doesn't explain why I can't find a trace of his posts or even his name on the user list. Unless those were some very clever polar bears.

--wmp

The polar bears in his front yard may explain his sudden disappearance, but that doesn't explain why I can't find a trace of his posts or even his name on the user list. Unless those were some very clever polar bears.

You can change your display name on here so it's possible that's why you can't find under that name.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Is there a pot/kettle smiley? I can't seem to find it. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You can change your display name on here so it's possible that's why you can't find under that name.

Joe's right on this one. I used Svengle to search the forums for "Cydonia" and got a list of threads referencing him; turns out he changed his username to "Finale". Here's his post list.

Finale (Cydonia), if you're out there lurking, c'mon back! the water's fine (just watch out for Duffy! :P ) :wave:

Hey all, as with all opinions, YMMV. I find Hanon useful but I use it a lot less now than in my formative playing years. I agree with Marino on all his counts (that is not surprising!), that the first 20 or so exercises is where I find the most useful stuff for continual practice. In teaching and in my own practice, I like doing the exercises in C for fluidity and have students to that first, then after a certain level of competence is reached assign it in other keys. This gets your fingers familiar with playing black keys in fingerings you don't find just by playing scales, but that you may find yourself playing in actual application.

All that said, I agree with whoever said you end up picking a few out of those 20 that really work for you and use that as warmup.

As a new mom, I don't get as much time to work on my craft as I'd like. Consequently, Hanon falls by the wayside more often than not, because if I have 90 minutes, I need to spend it getting tunes under my fingers and writing more music/arrangements. However, on days where I've been away from the piano for a few days, I really find that ripping thru a few Hanons really "breaks the ice!" I hate that I have that situation but that's just how it is right now.

All this should be considered with the following conditions: (1) I spent YEARS religiously drilling Hanon as part of my practice routine while growing up. (2) I don't consider my technique to be at the level I want it to be and know it can be, so I don't necessarily claim that my current approach yields maximum results. However, because I spent all that time growing up playing this stuff, I do sense that it is like riding a bicycle, you never really forget how (in this case, I don't feel I lapse below a certain respectable proficiency at it).

Now that I think of it, I think that is Hanon's greatest asset. If you've drilled this stuff, you get a cumulative proficiency on it that's pretty easy to come back to. There are no other drills or exercises that quite have that aspect for me, not even scales and arpeggios and I've done those just as long.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

GeekGurl:

Thanks so much for your insight into where Hanon fits in your musical experience. It sounds like a pretty good idea to implement Hanon into your student's practice for awhile in the way its written (key of C) and then later have them expand into other keys.

Congrats on being a new mom. Some sacrifices have to be made. For now, its your practice time. :rawk: You have a higher calling, your infant will only be a baby for so long. Your piano will still be there when you get back to it!

Cheers,

Mike T,

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm just waiting for my svenmail.com account and all that other good Google-like stuff. Instead of a bunch of strangers going through my stuff and archiving it, it'll be Sven. Then he'll REALLY think I'm a dick....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

So what did I win and where can I sell it?

The usual, I'm sure.

I could tell you how to make it all fit into your signature, but that'd probably be worth about the same. I'll be happy to tell you, but you'll have to host svengle yourself. My link has gone to 404 land. I don't want to offend Big Brother any more than I already do.

--wmp

I use Hannon, as another tool in my warmup/dexterity box.

As with many with formal piano lessons my teacher had me in the Hannon book 35 years ago.

I still go to it today when I start feeling "sloppy" on the keys.

Though I play in a Journey trib act, and I also play a lot of blues on the side, if it were not for my formal lessons that included LOTS of Hannon, I would not be able to do what I do on a keyboard.

One thing I had to deal with when I started piano is that I have smallish hands/short fingers, especially when compared to most other musicians.

I had to work hard to get technique down, and the Hannon helped immensely.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Thanks, Mike! :) My little boy is 2 now, so finding more time ... it's beyond practice time for me as I've started booking gigs with my new band and writing new material, which means not much time left for Hanon! LOL.

But yeah, I've found students get a lot out of Hanon in C when they're new to it. That's using it as it was intended, an "evenness" drill. Evenness is still important in other keys, but it just seems to feel like a different exercise to me when compensating for the black keys ... although still a worthwhile one, which is why I suggest venturing into that territory after a while.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Wow 2 years old already. Before you know it he'll be saying "Mommy and Daddy, buy me a new CAR!" Or if you do your homework it will be "Mommy and Daddy, buy he a new GRAND PIANO". :poke:

New band? When do you get time? I feel so lazy! Oh, I canceled my Facebook account. They changed their data sharing policy so I dumped it. I wasn't too happy with providing the information I had to in order for people I haven't been in touch with for years to find me. Some people found me that I really didn't want to be in touch with again so I bailed.

Stop back again. The guys around here will have to watch they language! :cop:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike, I won't help anyone's language get better, LOL! I remember me (and Sue) being instigators more than anything else.

I find the time when I should be sleeping. :-/ but I need to do music, so I push to do it. Funny thing, the boy has not asked for a grand piano of his own, but he sometimes asks me to play (by pointing at the piano and whining if I dont sit down, LOL) and then dances while I play. It's cute. Sometimes he holds me hostage that way for quite some time, however. And gets mad when I/we have to stop ... they don't call the twos "terrible" for nothing, I'm realizing!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Ya, Gangsu. She's been among the missing since she bought that Yamaha Grand Piano. I use to antagonize her without really trying. :taz:

Parents hobbies and passions can have an affect on children as they grow up. My next door neighbors have TWIN HARLEY's they bought brand new a few years ago. Their son just turned 16 this year. Guess what he has? A motorcycle. I think a piano is a much better choice. :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Archived