Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are your opinions on Hanon?

Gary75

I'm going through Hanons 60 excercises and was contemplating writing a study paper on it's benefits and pitfalls. I read that various modern day instructors dismiss this form of practice as bland and mechanical., albeit on Wikipedia.

What is your take on it?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm in the minority here. I play Hanon everyday. Yep, boring and mechanical, but beneficial for maintaining my chops. If I am unable to practice "hours" when I do practice, I play scales, Hanon, and arps. Someone recommended Bach inventions to me some time ago and I agree. ALL of the above are good for the chops. Pick your poison, or be a glutton for punishment like me and play the all. I'd say its good to jump around when picking warm up exercises so none of them put me to sleep. :bor:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I find Hanon to be a good warm up, but some of that may be ease due to familiarity. I don't do them every day anymore since my current teacher has given me different exercises and the new ones cover all keys including minor. I don't think there's anything wrong with Hanon, though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I think it's more useful to play scales, modes, and arpeggios instead.

speaking as a relative beginner,I'd rather play stuff I'll actually use in my music.

the only time I tried playing Hanon exercises I was bored stiff,and my hands hurt.

how is that productive?

I don't think there's anything wrong with Hanon, though.

There are actually many problems with Hanon exercises:

Problems with Hanon Exercises

Since about 1900, Charles Louis Hanon's (1820-1900) exercises have been used by numerous pianists in the hopes of improving technique. There are now two schools of thought: those who think that the Hanon exercises are helpful and those who do not. Many teachers recommend Hanon while others think they are counter-productive. There is one "reason" many people give for using Hanon: that is to keep the hands in good playing condition from day to day. This reason is most frequently cited by the type of person who wants to warm up the fingers with the brain shut off. I suspect that this habit grew out of having learned Hanon early in the person's piano career, and that this same person would not be using Hanon if s/he were not so habituated.

I used Hanon exercises extensively in my youth but I am now firmly in the anti-Hanon school. Below, I list some reasons why. Czerny, Cramer-Bulow, and related lesson pieces share many of these disadvantages. Hanon is possibly the prime example of how intuitive methods can suck entire populations of pianists into using methods that are essentially useless, or even harmful.

1. Hanon makes some surprising claims in his introduction with no rationale, explanation or experimental evidence. This is exemplified in his title, "The Virtuoso Pianist, in 60 Exercises". Upon careful reading of his introduction, one realizes that he simply felt that these are useful exercises and so wrote them down. It is another prime example of the "intuitive approach". There is no experimental evidence or even any rational explanation for why these exercises might work as advertised. In fact, most advanced teachers reading this introduction would conclude that this approach to acquiring technique is amateurish and would not work. Hanon implies that the ability to play these exercises will ensure that you can play anything -- this is not only totally false, but also reveals a surprising lack of understanding of what technique is. Technique can only be acquired by learning many compositions from many composers. There is no question that there are many accomplished pianists who use Hanon exercises. However, all advanced pianists agree that Hanon is not for acquiring technique, but might be useful for warming up or keeping the hands in good playing condition. I think there are many better pieces for warming up than Hanon, such as etudes, numerous Bach compositions, and other easy pieces. The skills needed to play any significant piece of music are incredibly diverse and numerous - almost infinite in number. To think that technique can be reduced to 60 exercises reveals the naiveté of Hanon and any student who believes that is being misled.

2. All 60 are almost entirely two-hand exercises, in which the two hands play the same notes an octave apart, plus a few contrary motion exercises in which the hands move in opposite directions. This locked HT motion is one of the greatest limitations of these exercises because the better hand cannot practice skills more advanced than the weaker hand. At slow speed, neither hand gets much workout. At maximum speed, the slow hand is stressed while the better hand is playing relaxed. Because technique is acquired mostly when playing relaxed, the weaker hand gets weaker and the stronger hand gets stronger. The best way to strengthen the weaker hand is to practice that hand only, not play HT. In fact, the best way to learn Hanon is to separate the hands as recommended in this book, but Hanon never seems to have even considered that. To think that by playing HT, the weaker hand will catch up to the stronger hand, reveals a surprising ignorance for someone with so much teaching experience. This is part of what I meant by "amateurish" above; more examples below. Locking the two hands does help to learn how to coordinate the hands, but does nothing to teach independent control of each hand. In practically all music, the two hands play different parts. Hanon doesn't give us any chance to practice that. Bach's Inventions are much better, also teach independence of the two hands, and (if you practice HS) will really strengthen the weaker hand. Of course, the two hands will also become well coordinated. The point here is that Hanon is very limited; it teaches only a small fraction of the total technique that you will need.

3. There is no provision for resting a fatigued hand. This generally leads to stress and injury. A diligent student who fights the pain and fatigue in an effort to carry out Hanons instructions will almost surely build up stress, acquire bad habits, and risk injury. The concept of relaxation is never even mentioned. Piano is an art for producing beauty; it is not a macho demonstration of how much punishment your hands, ears, and brain can take. Dedicated students often end up using Hanon as a way of performing intense exercises in the mistaken belief that piano is like weight lifting and that "no pain, no gain" applies to piano. Such exercises might be performed up to the limit of human endurance, even until some pain is felt. This reveals a lack of the proper education about what is needed to acquire technique. The actual number of students who irreversibly injure their hands playing Hanon is probably small. Besides, such students will likely use other pieces other than Hanon that can be even more injurious. The wasted resources due to such misconceptions can mean the difference between success and failure for a large number of students, even if they don't suffer injury. Of course, many students who routinely practice Hanon do succeed; in that case, they work so hard that they succeed in spite of Hanon.

4. The simplified, schematic structure of these exercises takes all the music out of them so that students can (and too frequently do) end up practicing like robots, totally devoid of artistry. It does not require a musical genius to compile a Hanon type series of exercises. The joy of piano comes from the one-on-one conversations with the greatest geniuses that ever lived, when you play their compositions. It makes no sense to practice something devoid of music; remember, technique and music can never be separated. I do recommend one-hand scales, arpeggios and chromatic runs, followed by some two-hand play. Scales and arpeggios should provide more than enough "routine exercises" for everybody. For too many years, Hanon has taught the wrong message that technique and music can be learned separately. Bach excels in this respect; his music exercises both the hands and the mind. The Hanon exercises are actually a small subset of Bach's 2 part Inventions. In fact, Hanon probably excerpted most his material from Bach's famous Toccata and Fugue, modified so that each unit is self cycling. The remainder was probably also taken from Bach's works, especially the Inventions and Sinfonias. One of the greatest harm that Hanon inflicts is that it robs you of the time needed to make music playing compositions that you have already learned and practicing the art of performance, or even just learning new pieces. The student often ends up with insufficient time to develop their repertoire. Hanon can be harmful to technique and performance!

5. Many pianists use Hanon routinely as warm-up exercises. This conditions the hands so that you become unable to just sit down and play "cold", something any accomplished pianist must be able to do, within reasonable limits. Since the hands are cold for at most 10 to 20 minutes, "warming up" robs the student of this precious, tiny, window of opportunity to practice playing cold. This habit of using Hanon for warm-ups is more insidious than many realize. Those who use Hanon for warm-ups can be misled into thinking that it is Hanon that is making their fingers fly, while in reality, after any good practice session, the fingers will be flying, with or without Hanon. It is insidious because the main consequence of this misunderstanding is that the person is less able to perform, whether the fingers are limbered up or not. It is truly unfortunate that the Hanon type of thinking has bred a large population of students who think that you have to be a Mozart to be able to just sit down and play, and that mere mortals are not supposed to perform such magical feats. If you want to be able to play on demand, the best way to start is to quit practicing Hanon.

6. There is little question that some degree of technique is required to play these exercises, especially the final 10 or so. The problem is that Hanon gives no instructions on how to acquire these techniques. It is exactly analogous to telling a penniless person to go earn some money if he wants to become rich. It doesn't help. If a student used her/is Hanon time to practice a Beethoven sonata, the results will be better as far as acquiring technique is concerned. Who wouldn't rather play Mozart, Bach, Chopin, etc., than Hanon exercises with similar, or almost certainly better, results and end up with a repertoire you can perform? Even if you can play all the Hanon exercises well, if you get stuck at a difficult passage in another composition, Hanon will not help. Hanon does not provide any diagnostics for telling you why you can't play a given passage. The parallel set exercises are different. They provide both the diagnostics and the solutions for practically any situation, including ornaments, etc., that Hanon does not even consider.

7. What little advice he does dispense, have all been shown to be wrong! So let's look into them.

(A) He recommends "lifting the fingers high", an obvious no-no for fast playing, since that will be the biggest source of stress. I have never seen a famous pianist in concert lift the fingers high to play a fast run; in fact, I have never seen anyone do that! This advice by Hanon has misled an enormous number of students into thinking that piano should be played by lifting the finger and plonking it down onto the key. It is one of the most non-musical and technically incorrect ways to play. It is true that the extensor muscles are often neglected, but there are exercises for treating this problem directly.

(B) He recommends continuous practicing of both hands, as if piano technique is some kind of weight lifting exercise. Students must never practice with fatigued hands. This is why the HS method of this book works so well - it allows you to practice hard 100% of the time without fatigue, because one hand rests while the other works. Stamina is gained, not by practicing with fatigue and stress, but by proper conditioning. Besides, what most of us need most is mental stamina, not finger stamina. Furthermore, stamina is a minor issue; what we really need are technique and relaxation.

© He recommends playing every day, regardless of skill level, all your life. But once you acquire a skill, you don't need to reacquire it over and over; you only need to work on technique that you don't already have. Thus once you can play all 60 pieces well, there is no need to play them anymore -- what will we gain? Does he think that our hands will mysteriously deteriorate once we stop playing Hanon in spite of all the other lesson pieces?

(D) He is apparently aware of only the thumb under method, whereas the thumb over method is more important.

(E) In most of the exercises, he recommends fixed wrists which is only partially correct. His recommendation reveals a lack of understanding of what quiet hands means.

(F) There is no way to practice a majority of the important hand motions, although there are a few wrist exercises for repetitions.

8. The Hanon exercises do not allow for practicing at the kinds of speeds possible with the parallel set exercises described above. Without the use of such speeds, certain fast speeds cannot be practiced, you cannot practice "over-technique" (having more technique than necessary to play that passage - a necessary safety margin for performances), and it takes unnecessarily long to acquire any technique.

9. The whole exercise is an exercise in waste. All the editions I have seen print out the entire runs, whereas all you need are at most 2 bars ascending and 2 bars descending and the final ending bar. Although the number of trees cut down to print Hanon is negligible in the broader picture, this reveals the mentality behind these exercises of simply repeating the intuitively "obvious" without really understanding what you are doing, or even pointing out the important elements in each exercise. "Repetition is more important than the underlying technical concepts" -- this is probably the worst mentality that has hindered students most in the history of piano. A person who has 2 hrs to practice every day, playing Hanon for 1 hr as recommended, would waste half of his piano lifetime! A person who has 8 hours to practice, on the other hand, doesn't need Hanon.

10. I have noticed that teachers can be classified into two schools according to whether they teach Hanon or not. Those who do not teach Hanon tend to be more knowledgeable because they know the real methods for acquiring technique and are busy teaching them -- there is no time left for Hanon. Thus when you are looking for a piano teacher, choose from among those that do not teach Hanon, and you will increase the chances of finding a superior one.

Problem with Hanon exercises

When I was a kid I played a lot of it, it was totally waste of time! For warming up we have inventions, etudes, sinfonias and other short pieces which give whole spectrum of development not only mechanical.

They only emphasize only one part of technic, five finger patterns. Yes there are scales, but only the very basics, and the suggested fingering for the parallel 3rds is questionable. Book two is the real core, this is what you should concentrate on. Skip book one, it's very rudmentary. The materials in book three are real breif and are better addressed in other programs. Number 60 is interesting though and could be added to your bag of comping tricks. Play it on a real piano to get the real benifits. It may be boring, but think 'Tread Mill'. It's working out. Drink lots of coffee and push your speed. When your muscles get good and pumped up, skip it for a day or two to let them recover and grow.

E.M. Skinner, Casavant, Schlicker, Hradetzky, Dobson, Schoenstein, Abbott & Sieker, Rieger.

Builder of tracker action and electro-pneumatic organs, and a builder of the largest church pipe organ in the world.

:facepalm:
LOL - why do you "say" that?

(I think I know why, but just want to be sure.)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It may be boring, but think 'Tread Mill'. It's working out. Drink lots of coffee and push your speed. When your muscles get good and pumped up, skip it for a day or two to let them recover and grow.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5Br1OsxrvV4/SLJvumNz_lI/AAAAAAAAAeM/xVGUq8-Id-U/s400/TREADMILL+CAKE+INCENTIVE.jpg

p.s.

treadmill in music will take you nowhere IMHO as well as lot of coffee...

My guess is that building technique is really, really not about building muscle. And that doing it until your muscles feel pumped up will make you stiff, not fast. And that drinking coffee and pushing it will give you tendonitis faster than it will give you good technique.

by frogmonkey:

My guess is that building technique is really, really not about building muscle. And that doing it until your muscles feel pumped up will make you stiff, not fast.

If you want to play "fluid" and smoothly, you have to have good muscles tone. Muscle strength is required for anything that requires endurance. Try hiking 10 miles after sitting on the sofa watching the tube for a few weeks and tell me how you feel. I remember my piano teacher telling me that I must build strength so that my fingers are like pistons. He preached Hanon and other forms of finger exercises.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

My guess is that building technique is really, really not about building muscle. And that doing it until your muscles feel pumped up will make you stiff, not fast. And that drinking coffee and pushing it will give you tendonitis faster than it will give you good technique.

I think it is actually. Not like a weightlifter, you're not packing it on. But you are strengthening the correct muscles that will allow you to play as effortlessly as possible.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I did say they only emphasize only one part of technic. Mechanical methods like Hannon are usefull for building strength and speed. Hannon is safer fast than other repetitive programs, like I P Philips Exs for Independence. Well ok, you can use Hannon slower for practicing evenness with different touches. But that is still mechanical and trend mill like. If you isolate parts of your technic then you can focus more on just that part. We talk about the benifits of hands seperatly practice. Well this is just strength and speed seperatly. It's just like one practices touches seperatly, orniments seperatly and early fingering seperatly. Many players play ornements like little accidents. They haven't practiced just ornements by themselves, hands together in all finger combinations of trills against mordents. And this is not so much about building muscle as it is about developing good muscle tone. Good muscle tone is an important part of technic. Just take anyone who spends most of their time playing synths or Hammonds and throw them on a Steinway and see what happens, or worse yet, a tracker action with all the stops and couplers pulled.

E.M. Skinner, Casavant, Schlicker, Hradetzky, Dobson, Schoenstein, Abbott & Sieker, Rieger.

Builder of tracker action and electro-pneumatic organs, and a builder of the largest church pipe organ in the world.

1,I'd rather play stuff I'll actually use in my music.

2When I was a kid I played a lot of it, it was totally waste of time!

I'm in music geek education mode today, pay no attention to me. :laugh:

I'm in music geek education mode today, pay no attention to me. :laugh:
Okay, I was right. And so are you. ;):thu:

I find Hanon to be a good warm up, but some of that may be ease due to familiarity. I don't do them every day anymore since my current teacher has given me different exercises and the new ones cover all keys including minor. I don't think there's anything wrong with Hanon, though.

I use it to warm up with and maintain dexterity......I also will often play the right hand a major third higher than the left. This way I can hear both hands clearly especially when a weakness begins to appear.

by frogmonkey:

My guess is that building technique is really, really not about building muscle. And that doing it until your muscles feel pumped up will make you stiff, not fast.

If you want to play "fluid" and smoothly, you have to have good muscles tone. "Weak" muscle strength is required for anything that requires endurance. Try hiking 10 miles after sitting on the sofa watching the tube for a few weeks and tell me how you feel. I remember my piano teacher telling me that I must build strength so that my fingers are like pistons. He preached Hanon and other forms of finger exercises.

Mike T.

I think it is actually. Not like a weightlifter, you're not packing it on. But you are strengthening the correct muscles that will allow you to play as effortlessly as possible.

Ok, strength and endurance are part of it, but I think they are a relatively small part. I think that maintaining technique is more about using the muscles and other parts of the mechanism efficiently and accurately.

It's late night here and I'm exhausted, plus I'm not sure how useful is to discuss such delicate matters over the net... but I'll add my considerations.

- After 40+ years of playing and 30 of teaching, I still use Hanon both for myself and my students. For a while I dismissed it in favor of Beringer finger exercises, but, later, I reflected that good old Hanon comes to good results quicker.

- The most important one, also in response to other posts: Saying "do Bach Inventions instead of Hanon" is nonsense. There's no conflict between using actual pieces as source of technical exercises, and doing pure technique, as Hanon is. A serious pianist simply needs to do both, there's no shortcut.

- When I say "Hanon" I mean the first 20 exercises, or the first 30 at the most. The other sections of the book are based on more common technique matters, which can be learned from many different methods (scales, arpeggios, wrist rotation, etc.); I use different sources for those.

- So what I'm saying is that the first part of the Hanon book *is* useful for what it does (finger strenght and dexterity), but it can't be taken as the only source of technique. You need to integrate it with several other exercises, especially when finger extension is involved. Personally I use a mix of exercises taken from Brahms, Cortot, Beringer and others, some of them heavily modified, and stuff that I invented myself.

- Much of the negativity against Hanon comes from boredom, and boredom comes from playing it in C all the time. That's a waste of time. Once one has the grasp of the exercises, he should play them in different keys ASAP. Not only all major keys, but harmonic and melodic minor as well, and all kind of different scales and modes. This will give you a great 'topographic' knowledge of the keyboard, useful to improvise for example.

- It's also useful to try different articulations, like doing it staccato, holding the first note, etc.

- In my experience, it's most useful to play Hanon with a good finger articulation but letting the whole arm (starting from the shoulder) move to support and amplfy the fingers' movements. This is to experience the interdipendence of the whole apparatus. Of course, in order to do that, you have to play it slowly. Not medium-slow; *slowly*.

It can also be used as preparation for speed, with a totally different approach (very little finger articulation), but I know better exercises for that; the most useful use in my experience is *slow and articulated*, to gain a strong individual finger attack, which of course also helps speed indirectly.

- So after all these years, and having experimented every scale and finger articulation on Hanon exercises, how boring is to do them? Very. That's why I often read books and magazines when practicing Hanon.

Warning: I'm not suggesting that anybody would do the same! I'm only doing it because after so many years, I can go thru the *right* motions in my sleep. Generally speaking, one should be 100% concentrated on every note, even when practicing technique.

hope this helps

Carlo

Frankly, I find the entire "Problems with Hanon Exercises" laughable, idiotic, and naive to the extreme. An example for all:

The simplified, schematic structure of these exercises takes all the music out of them so that students can (and too frequently do) end up practicing like robots, totally devoid of artistry. It does not require a musical genius to compile a Hanon type series of exercises. The joy of piano comes from the one-on-one conversations with the greatest geniuses that ever lived, when you play their compositions. It makes no sense to practice something devoid of music; remember, technique and music can never be separated.

Come on. A pianist knows when he's playing music, and when he's doing technique or warming up. An athlete knows that he's supposed to warm-up before running for x miles, or he will experiment fatigue much too soon. Now a musician is no athlete, but there's a physical part of playing that requires to be taken care of. No one is playing pieces only; a good musician knows how to differentiate the phases. Good, secure technique is nothing else than freedom of choice. Our hands should be a mean of transmission of our musical intentions; if they're stiff by not being warmed up, we're in trouble, simply as that.

The main concern of the author seems to demonstrate that Hanon can't be considered the all-comprehensive technical bible... well, pianists have known that for many generations already, thank you.

Thank you, Carlo. :thu:

Thanks Carlo, your posts put things in perspective. Although I doubt I will be reading a book when practicing Hanon. :rawk:

Cheers,

Mike T.

I spent a lifetime playing Hanon on a nearly daliy basis.

Say what you will about those exercise being boring, rudimentary and the lot.

If you want bad ass technique, start with Hanon in all 12 keys, played correctly. Once you've done that, move on.

YMMV.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

As others have pointed out, each exercise is intended to work a different part of the hand, finger combination, or both.

Yes, they're boring. So is running on a treadmill. Other stuff (Bach Inventions) will give similar results, but are not accessible to a beginner.

With my students I vary the rhythm on each exercise (Rhythm 1: "1, 2, 3+", Rhy. 2 "1, 2+, 3", and Rhy. 3: "1+, 2, 3"). This helps to ensure that students encounter nearly every possible situation and have worked those intervals, rhythms, etc.

To those who say "I'd rather practice something I'll actually use", I say: "Wax on, wax off." However all work and no play makes for a bored student. Have to balance theory, scales, et. with some worthwhile performance pieces.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I guess Hanon exercises (and other similar stuff, like Czerny or Clare Fisher) could be compared to stretching for dancers. That has nothing to do with dancing itself, but it is useful to warm up the muscles.

my $0.02

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Archived