Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-What's a guy gotta do?

SMcD

My rock band has been unseasonably busy this past month. Lots of gigs have been around our school, so my band teacher let me use his DP and double-tier stand in addition to my normal keyboard.

Now, normally one of the staples of our shows is that during some keyboard solos or powerful passages, I'll pick up the keyboard. It usually gets me a lot of cheers and praise after the show. :laugh:

However, this was not possible (Without compromising something and/or visibly struggling on stage) with the 2-tier setup.

Tonight, we had a gig at which I used my 2-tier rig. Guitar solos got a ton of cheers. Key solos were greeted with silence.

I was told after the gig that people were waiting for the "keyboard guy" to pick up the keys. :P

Why has it come to this? Is the only way to get recognized through a novelty? I want to keep picking up my board whenever possible (I gotta be honest, I kinda like the quick gimmick), but I don't want it to be the only thing I'm known for. Of course, a guy like Jon Lord (A personal hero) didn't pick up his organ, and yet his solos were noticed. :laugh:

Another thing I think may have contributed was the 2-tier setup. It hides me from view and "overpowers" me, I think.

So I pose to my ivory-tinkling brethren these 2 questions:

1)When playing with multiple boards, do you prefer 2-tier or L-shape? I like having everything in one compact place, but I also like being seen and being able to rock out without having to position my hands unnaturally.

2) Is it reasonable for us key players to use "tricks" like the one above? At which point do I become a "one-trick pony"?

Maybe this little musical crisis will wear off by tomorrow, but for now, your input is appreciated. :wave:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) When playing with multiple boards, do you prefer 2-tier or L-shape?

Clonk.

2) Is it reasonable for us key players to use "tricks" like the one above?

I guess that depends on your definition of reasonable. Would you rather be recognized for your playing or for your antics?

Antics, daggers, costumes, smoke bombs and such are a big minus for me. I'm pretty sure that's a minority opinion. I'm an animated character on stage, but absolutely none of it is contrived.

--wmp

I guess that depends on your definition of reasonable. Would you rather be recognized for your playing or for your antics?

That's the problem. I feel as though nobody will recognize me for my playing. When I did pick up the keyboard, nearly all the praise I got related to that. On tonight's gig, people just missed seeing it. Have I painted myself into a corner by setting this precedent?

Have you thought about lifting the entire 2-tier rig? You'd get twice the applause!

LOL :laugh:

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Maybe you could ask someone with a mic to anounce you, so to speak? Like, before you're soloing "give it up for blabla on the keys!". Or something?

Also, make sure you can be heard. I often find that keys are mixed way to low at gigs.

Of course, a guy like Jon Lord (A personal hero) didn't pick up his organ, and yet his solos were noticed. :laugh:

actually..

[video:youtube]ILDxii_1H-g

Sorry, couldn't resist.

P.S. OMG, this man can play. I want to cry and laugh at the same time every time I hear his music.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

You mentioned "school" and "band teacher" so I assume you mean high school. Without sounding too harsh, therein may lay some or all of the problem. Your audience only appreciates flash and has no concept or appreciation of substance. If you are serious about playing for the long haul then this, too, shall pass. Learn your craft. Play your tail off (which does NOT necessarily mean non-stop hysterical solos). Make sure you are balanced in the mix. As your audience matures, so will their appreciation for your playing.

And when all else fails, get an AX-7 and a fur hat.....

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Let's face it, in a rock band the guitar dudes are always gonna get more attention than the keys dudes. It is just the nature of the beast. Rather than resorting to gimmicks and flash and trash you will be better off in the long run by just being the best player you can be.

I don't think it has as much to do with your age as the fact that picking up your keyboard was something that you were doing and now you are not. It's become identified with you.

Hendrix used to complain that unless he played his guitar with his teeth or set it on fire, people used to say that he gave a lousy concert that night. No matter who you are, if you stop doing something outrageously showy it's going to be noticed in a negative way.

You don't have to do the same trick over and over if you don't want to however. They'll get over it. But set your two keyboards up in a way that doesn't hide you. That can still be done stacked if you get them close enough together and not too high. Stacked or L - whatever's most comfortable for you.

.....If I decide to stop doing this "trick", what else can I do to make myself noticed?

Play without pants.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Now, normally one of the staples of our shows is that during some keyboard solos or powerful passages, I'll pick up the keyboard. It usually gets me a lot of cheers and praise after the show. :laugh:

Why has it come to this? Is the only way to get recognized through a novelty? I want to keep picking up my board whenever possible (I gotta be honest, I kinda like the quick gimmick), but I don't want it to be the only thing I'm known for.

You have learned an important lesson in life:

Do not start something you cannot finish. Don't write a check your a** can't cash. Something along those lines. :laugh:

If you want to be recognized for your musical performance, let that be the pick up. Play like you mean business minus the cape and daggers.

More importantly, insure that folks can actually hear what you're playing. A lot gets lost between the stage and the audience.

To that end, they may have been praising you for picking up the KB without hearing a note of that wick solo. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I think the assumption that's being made here is that playing good and being "showy" are mutually exclusive. Of course, my ability to play my parts accurately and soulfully always takes top priority over the flashy bits. I wouldn't pick up the KB unless I was fully confident in my ability to do it without compromising the music.

I've been thinking of buying a really little cheap synth, distorting the crap out of it, and strutting around with that. :laugh:

Let's add another question into this:

If I decide to stop doing this "trick", what else can I do to make myself noticed?

Play naked, or stick a sock on the end of your Johnson.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I've been thinking of buying a really little cheap synth, distorting the crap out of it, and strutting around with that. :laugh:

Actually, there was a new instrument shown at Messe made specifically for you!

It has a motion sensor in it which can be programmed to do various things.

[video:youtube]

Moe

---

Since I've always sang a lot with my bands over the years I prefer setting up on the right (stage perspective) facing the band. That way my mike stand is not looming over my right hand and the keyboards don't block me from the audience. Kind of the same way Elton John always sets up. Usually a second keyboard for me is to my left L-shaped.

I figure I need all the advantages I can get. Probably wouldn't pick up the keyboard since it's a Fantom, but you never know. Roland has that new Keytar......hmmm.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Actually, there was a new instrument shown at Messe made specifically for you!

It has a motion sensor in it which can be programmed to do various things.

I've been saving up for that beast ever since I first saw it.

Gah. No keytars for me, thanks. :P

A local pawn shop has a Yamaha PSR-21 for $75. I was considering buying that, then running it through a ton of effects, which would:

a) Still give people that "flash" they love (Of course, showmanship is also important).

b) Prevent me from relying on tricks, since the PSR would have limited use (Distorted synth-type solos, and not much else). Once I have folks "reeled in" with that, my hope is they'll take the regular (NON-gimmicky) KB playing in the rest of the show a bit more seriously. They come for the flash, they stay for the music. :cool:

I've been setting up sideways to the audience for years. A couple of bandleaders have told me to face the front, but I really think I'm more interesting to watch from the side, and when I told them that they were fine with it.

It has the added benefit of facing the band from the side of the stage.

I think the assumption that's being made here is that playing good and being "showy" are mutually exclusive.

Not at all. But they are two very different things. Like Hendrix, you seem to be a little displeased with folks ignoring the music and embracing the flash.

There's a fine line between clever and stupid. Many cross that line for me so far into stupid territory that appreciating their music becomes nearly impossible. The Who's equipment destruction, Emerson's flying pianos, capes and daggers, Hendrix's lighter fluid, Elton's duck suit, ad nauseum. I like music a lot, but I find most show biz nauseating. You can't even mention Emerson without making me think of Stonehenge.

There's no doubt that what annoys me appeals to most folks. In most cases, the stupid stuff that annoys me so much is responsible, at least in part, for their commercial success. So there's a strong argument to be made for stupid being clever.

You seem to be bothered enough about getting recognition for this particular cheap trick to want to stop. At the same time, you seem to crave recognition so much that you want to replace one cheap trick with another.

Why has it come to this? Because most people like stupid crap more than they like music. Do you want to please them or please yourself? Can you do both at the same time? I can't.

I had a tune in the bag many years ago that was funny and stupid. Folks loved it. It always tore the house down. I enjoyed it for a while, but the funny part got old fast and all that was left was stupid. I stopped doing it. The more folks wanted to hear it, the more adamant I became about retiring it for good. I pissed off audiences and band leaders in the process.

Am I willing to compromise? Of course. But it's got to be for my asking price. Cash up front. I'd love to sell out. But so far, nobody's buying.

--wmp

You make some good points, wmp. Maybe I'll stop the tricks altogether for now, and see if people will begin to see the playing and natural stage presence again. :)

In terms of "pleasing the audience vs. pleasing yourself" (I know, I know...), how did your situation turn out in the end? Were you eventually "forgiven"?

Archived