Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Embedded battery in new MBPro

zephonic

This from Apple's website:

To give the MacBook Pro the biggest battery possible without adding size or weight, Apple engineers eliminated all the parts required of a removable battery and embedded the battery into the notebook. This created enough space for a battery with significantly greater capacity one that can run for up to 10 hours (8 to 9 hours on the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro) on a single charge.

and:

With the MacBook Pro, Apple engineers have taken the radical step of eliminating the removable battery, and have embedded a battery with a capacity great enough to run for up to 10 hours on the 13-inch MacBook Pro (8 to 9 hours on the 15- and 17-inch models). Theyve developed advanced chemistry and a charging method that extend the batterys lifespan up to 1000 recharges. And theyve done it all in the thin and streamlined MacBook Pro aluminum unibody enclosure, giving you more freedom and mobility than ever before. Its a battery that just works. And keeps on working for years and years. Which is just what a battery is supposed to do.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/battery/

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now on my third battery with my current MBP. I know little about current advances in battery technology, but this just makes me nervous. My experiences with worst-case-scenario and DR makes this sound like a sales job.

Embedded battery in a smartphone? Well, ok. Embedded battery in my main computer? Ehhhhhh.....

Only weeks of experience... and years will make all the difference.

I got my wife the new 13" and the battery life is unbelievable. Almost ridiculous.

Now if I could teach her that "closing a window" isn't the same as quitting an application....

Sure, but even if the battery works as advertised and has a lifespan of +- 5 years, it still means that your puter is dead in the water after 5 years.

On GS I saw a thread wherein a post stated that Apple has procedures that determine whether or not you used your battery in an appropriate manner. Meaning, you have to drain it completely and then recharge it to max everytime. If you just keep the power cord plugged in, that voids it.

Calibrate your battery monthly using these instructions from Apple.

I have the 2009 MBP and this battery lasts forever. When I go to meetings or whatever, I often don't even bother bringing the power supply. I've had this computer since around the time it came out, and it shows no signs of giving up.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I dunno man, I always have mine plugged in whenever I go. Battery life isn't really an issue, except on the plane.

That's cool. But if the battery dies (warranty or not), Apple will say it is your fault and deny responsibility.

Just sounds like a bonanza in repair costs when the embedded battery must be replaced by an Apple Service Center. I already dealt with a Palm that had a non-replacable battery; don't want to go that route again, especially on something more expensive.

Admittedly there can be improvements in the charging circuitry. IBM ThinkPads have had enhanced life charging circuitry for several years - but batteries still go bad and must be replaced before the computer becomes functionally obsolete.

I wasn't even happy buying a new Braun shaver recently because of the non-user-replacable battery - but at least it is like the old shaver that finally died - it CAN be AC powered while in use if needed.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

This is one of the two big reasons I got a refurb MBP last summer when the new models with non-removable batteries were released. I need to swap batteries. While Apple has always been a proprietary, "we know better than you do" company, it's getting to the point of ridiculousness these days. Perhaps a MacBook Amateur with sealed batteries and a MacBook Pro with removable batteries, because a lot of professionals using professional applications on the go are going to drain their batteries in a hell of a lot less than 8 hours. Incredibly lame.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's a couple of screws on the bottom to swap the battery out, and they can probably do it in the store while you wait if you ever have an issue. I just got a new 15''MBP with the i7 processor and battery life is significantly better than my 2006 and 2008 MBPs ever were. I got one replacement battery for the 2006 MBP overnighted and had an issue with the 2008 MBP battery the other week (wouldn't charge). Apple Care hotline helped me reset the battery controller (take the battery out, press the power button 10 seconds) and it's working again. These are my main/only machines (don't have desktops anymore) so I buy Apple Care and replace them every 2 years or so (always skip a generation).
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Probably not a huge deal to most consumers, but a little questionable, and no doubt makes life much more of a pain if and when the battery goes. There was a reason that batteries were made to be removable in the first place. Not even having the option to throw in a back-up battery (which I have to do occasionally) makes this seem a lot less dependable to me.

I also certainly wouldn't trust that 10 hour estimate. Maybe if it's just sitting there doing nothing with no applications open, closed up (monitor off), and the hard disk not running. In reality, you can probably cut that battery life at least in half, probably even more under demanding usage.

Actually, the battery estimates tend to be pretty good. Normal use they get about that much.

For instance, for the 15",

The MacBook Pros captive battery made its debut in the late 2009 models, extending the length of time you can use the laptop on a single charge. Now, lower power consumption by the graphics, and subtle battery changes help to increase battery life. In our movie playback tests, (a worse-case battery draining scenario that differs significantly Apples methodology of determining battery life), the three laptops lasted on average 4 hours, 35 minutes, an improvement between 10 and 25 percent.

http://www.macworld.com/article/150146/2010/04/15inch_macbookpro_corei5i7.html

That's pretty good for a worse-case scenario.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's about right along the lines of what I guessed though: cut the estimate roughly in half (Apple quoted 8 to 9 hours for the 15"). Playing a movie isn't what I'd call "worst case" either. Multi-tasking and/or running CPU intensive applications would bring it down to more like 3 hours I'm guessing.

I dunno man, I always have mine plugged in whenever I go. Battery life isn't really an issue, except on the plane.

Bingo.

You can also make your older MBP faster by installing an SSD. My older 2.16 early dual core blows away my newer faster MBP with 7200 drive with a 12 second boot (SSD MBP). Counted the time a few cycles.

Using Vertex **2** (just released). I only wanted to test it with the SSD in this older MBP before using it with an Optibay (in transit) with my newer one. (Optibay allows one to use their Superdrive bay for another hard drive and they give you a USB2 case for the DVD writer you removed)

It runs so well in the older MBP I am keeping it in it. (will buy another for the newer MBP)

(Garritian Steinway Pro with 24bit samples runs easily at 96khz to test with a Vertex *2* SSD @ 128 polyphony - 2.16GhzMBP - 2G memory)

Also, even *removable* batteries should get better too though the battery extended life, likewise, is not an issue for me.

W

Remember the outrage when users found out they couldn't replace the batteries in their iPods? Deja Vu again.

Batteries have a limited life. They can only take so many recharge cycles before they stop holding the recharge. Suddenly it isn't ten hours without a charge, it's ten minutes. Then you have to replace the battery. In Apple's case I will not be buying a MacPro, and will reluctant of any Mac product. Way to go, Apple.

Remember the outrage when users found out they couldn't replace the batteries in their iPods? Deja Vu again.

Batteries have a limited life. They can only take so many recharge cycles before they stop holding the recharge. Suddenly it isn't ten hours without a charge, it's ten minutes. Then you have to replace the battery. In Apple's case I will not be buying a MacPro, and will reluctant of any Mac product. Way to go, Apple.

Yeap. Yet another way to throw business and rather expensive business to Apple Care. They ain't cheap. I recently fixed a Macbook for a friend as a favor that needed a video/digital cable. They quoted him 725 to 900 bucks. Taking the case apart, by the way, revealed the Superdrive that was recently installed by guess who? Unfortunately I had to find 2 screws that were missing that were not put in. Cost him 300 bucks previously to "guess who" for a lame/unfastened install of the Superdrive.

(repeat, IMHO: before considering a upgrade of your MBP (whoever) consider a recently released SSD. It is an amazing up in speed. Wait for the release of the quads)

W

Archived